Do you close out apps or just leave them minimized?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I leave them open unless it's something I'm almost never in like I'll open Pinterest once a week maybe just to clear any notifications in it but then I close it after. For whatever reason I close games too when I'm done with them, but I'm not sure if I should be doing that or not. Everything else I leave running, with the exception of Google Photos because I have it set to auto-backup and I don't want it backing up random screenshots and bad pics which it will do if you leave it open. I should probably just disable auto backup for it.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Who is spreading this nonsense about killing apps actually being bad for the battery? I've been killing apps on every iPhone (and iPad) I've ever used and have never had any quote-unquote - battery issues. As Renee would say, what a bunch of FUD. :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Who is spreading this nonsense about killing apps actually being bad for the battery? I've been killing apps on every iPhone (and iPad) I've ever used and have never had any quote-unquote - battery issues. As Renee would say, what a bunch of FUD. :)

Nonsense? I’ll take Apple’s word over all other findings, at all times.

Here is the quote and a link to the article:

Force close an app

When you double-click the Home button, your recently used apps appear. The apps aren’t open, but they're in standby mode to help you navigate and multitask. You should force an app to close only when it’s unresponsive.

Furthermore, in their article about maximizing battery life, Apple explicitly doesn’t mention force closing an app to save battery life.
https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Nonsense? I’ll take Apple’s word over all other findings, at all times.

Here is the quote and a link to the article:

Furthermore, in their article about maximizing battery life, Apple explicitly doesn’t mention force closing an app to save battery life.
https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p

OK, that's fine and all, but nothing you've quoted said killing apps is bad for the battery, like some posters are intimating in this thread. That's the nonsense and FUD to which I'm referring.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

For most apps, it doesn't really matter, because they do nothing but sit there. But for those that need to run in the background in order to perform as you would want, it's best to leave those open. Closing them does cause them to use more resources when opened again. I don't close any, unless they're misbehaving.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, that's fine and all, but nothing you've quoted said killing apps is bad for the battery, like some posters are intimating in this thread. That's the nonsense and FUD to which I'm referring.

It’s bad in the sense that you have to charge your device more often than if you didn’t force close apps. Let’s say a normal battery lasts 36 months in a device and you have 2 devices running simultaneously, the one on which you force close apps will need a battery in 35 months and the one on which you don’t force close will need one in 36 months, under identical circumstances and use cases. This is of course hypothetical.

But, force closing apps empties the cache. Loading the cache to have the app running puts more strain on battery than waking them up from a suspended state.
In the end: the not force closer will have had 16 hours Onscreen Time on a full charge whereas the force closer will have had less Onscreen Time.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It’s been at least a week since we’ve had a good “Should I force close my apps?” discussion.

I don’t think force closing apps is necessarily “bad” for the battery but I also don’t think it helps anything either. It’s just wasted effort unless an app is having an issue. That said, it’s your phone. Do with it what you please.
For the record, I never force close apps and also have never had battery issues.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Bad for the battery as in it uses battery, yes. You want the life of your battery to last.

If you force close an app that's cached and the system has to use resources to restart it when you open it then yes, it will use battery. The apps are cached for a reason. When they're cached they are in a suspended state and aren't using any system resources. Other than to take a second or two to update in the background, which does not use enough resources to make any difference at all on battery life.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I only close them if they aren’t working. Everyone else in my family closes theirs all the time. I just don’t see the need for it.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

IIRC it was Craig Federighi in an interview to said that.
I think he knows iOS slightly better than me

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I only close navigation apps, the rest I keep minimized. I’ve never been one to close apps but from time to time I’ll close every single app except Find My iPhone. I never dare close that app

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've been wondering why I've had bad battery life the past couple days compared to earlier. Checked battery and found the culprit. If any of you guys use SoundCloud it's one of the apps to remember to close. Check this out:

IMG_0098.png

Also probably a good thing I have unlimited data.

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Its not often that I close apps when I am on a public release OS. On the betas I close them because things are not optimized yet.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I close out apps for a different reason. All apps open means that I have to scroll through a lot to get to certain apps. Having said that, iPhone X is a bit of re-learning so I may change my habits. I find the new app carousel multitasking gesture a bit slow.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW