Who is spreading this nonsense about killing apps actually being bad for the battery? I've been killing apps on every iPhone (and iPad) I've ever used and have never had any quote-unquote - battery issues. As Renee would say, what a bunch of FUD.
    For most apps, it doesn't really matter, because they do nothing but sit there. But for those that need to run in the background in order to perform as you would want, it's best to leave those open. Closing them does cause them to use more resources when opened again. I don't close any, unless they're misbehaving.
    11-08-2017 09:35 AM
    OK, that's fine and all, but nothing you've quoted said killing apps is bad for the battery, like some posters are intimating in this thread. That's the nonsense and FUD to which I'm referring.
    It’s bad in the sense that you have to charge your device more often than if you didn’t force close apps. Let’s say a normal battery lasts 36 months in a device and you have 2 devices running simultaneously, the one on which you force close apps will need a battery in 35 months and the one on which you don’t force close will need one in 36 months, under identical circumstances and use cases. This is of course hypothetical.

But, force closing apps empties the cache. Loading the cache to have the app running puts more strain on battery than waking them up from a suspended state.
    In the end: the not force closer will have had 16 hours Onscreen Time on a full charge whereas the force closer will have had less Onscreen Time.
    sangs likes this.
    11-08-2017 09:37 AM
    It’s been at least a week since we’ve had a good “Should I force close my apps?” discussion.

Who is spreading this nonsense about killing apps actually being bad for the battery? I've been killing apps on every iPhone (and iPad) I've ever used and have never had any quote-unquote - battery issues. As Renee would say, what a bunch of FUD.
    I don’t think force closing apps is necessarily “bad” for the battery but I also don’t think it helps anything either. It’s just wasted effort unless an app is having an issue. That said, it’s your phone. Do with it what you please.
    For the record, I never force close apps and also have never had battery issues.
    Tartarus, sangs and robertk328 like this.
    11-08-2017 10:06 AM
    I just leave them minimised.
    11-08-2017 10:24 AM
    OK, that's fine and all, but nothing you've quoted said killing apps is bad for the battery, like some posters are intimating in this thread. That's the nonsense and FUD to which I'm referring.
    Bad for the battery as in it uses battery, yes. You want the life of your battery to last.

If you force close an app that's cached and the system has to use resources to restart it when you open it then yes, it will use battery. The apps are cached for a reason. When they're cached they are in a suspended state and aren't using any system resources. Other than to take a second or two to update in the background, which does not use enough resources to make any difference at all on battery life.
    11-11-2017 07:30 PM
    I only close them if they aren’t working. Everyone else in my family closes theirs all the time. I just don’t see the need for it.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    11-11-2017 08:19 PM
    IIRC it was Craig Federighi in an interview to said that.
    I think he knows iOS slightly better than me
    11-11-2017 08:41 PM
    I only close navigation apps, the rest I keep minimized. I’ve never been one to close apps but from time to time I’ll close every single app except Find My iPhone. I never dare close that app
    11-12-2017 10:15 AM
    IIRC it was Craig Federighi in an interview to said that.
    I think he knows iOS slightly better than me
    Yeah, he's a software engineer. Probably one of the highest paid. Wish my husband made his salary lol.
    Just_Me_D and Tartarus like this.
    11-12-2017 06:41 PM
    I've been wondering why I've had bad battery life the past couple days compared to earlier. Checked battery and found the culprit. If any of you guys use SoundCloud it's one of the apps to remember to close. Check this out:

Do you close out apps or just leave them minimized?-img_0098.png

Also probably a good thing I have unlimited data.
    Last edited by msm0511; 11-14-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: More info
    robertk328 likes this.
    11-14-2017 07:38 AM
    I close them.
    11-14-2017 07:45 AM
    I usually close all necessary apps after each session of use.
    11-14-2017 09:14 AM
    Its not often that I close apps when I am on a public release OS. On the betas I close them because things are not optimized yet.
    11-14-2017 12:49 PM
    I close out apps for a different reason. All apps open means that I have to scroll through a lot to get to certain apps. Having said that, iPhone X is a bit of re-learning so I may change my habits. I find the new app carousel multitasking gesture a bit slow.
    11-14-2017 05:38 PM
39 12