Second Thoughts?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
TBH, I had mine on launch day and after a few days I started to feel like it was not going to fit my needs. The new aspect ratio compared to my 6 Plus, 6S Plus and 7 Plus, I was leaning towards returning it for an 8 Plus, but I opted to se if a different case would change my mind. I felt it was too small in my hands vs the Plus models. I picked up the Catalyst Case and it offers enough width to feel more comfortable.

So I have gotten used to the new aspect ratio, BUT, Face ID is slow, compared to Touch ID which you could do without looking at the screen. One week in I am leaning towards keeping it, and perhaps next years Plus model will add just a bit screen, but maybe it will unwieldy like the Plus models were starting to get for me.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
TBH, I had mine on launch day and after a few days I started to feel like it was not going to fit my needs. The new aspect ratio compared to my 6 Plus, 6S Plus and 7 Plus, I was leaning towards returning it for an 8 Plus, but I opted to se if a different case would change my mind. I felt it was too small in my hands vs the Plus models. I picked up the Catalyst Case and it offers enough width to feel more comfortable.

So I have gotten used to the new aspect ratio, BUT, Face ID is slow, compared to Touch ID which you could do without looking at the screen. One week in I am leaning towards keeping it, and perhaps next years Plus model will add just a bit screen, but maybe it will unwieldy like the Plus models were starting to get for me.

I know what you mean.
I personally miss the wider screen of the Plus.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean.
I personally miss the wider screen of the Plus.

I only had my 8 Plus a week and I miss it a bit too, but holding the X and seeing how much easier it was to handle took much of that away. I bet next year we get a Plus version of this as the bezel phones disappear (but I also bet they'll keep the 8 / 8 Plus for those that want that style, Touch ID, etc.)

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I haven’t even given myself the option to return my X as I’ve already sold and shipped my 8 Plus through Swappa. I’ve also ordered another case (Spigen Ultra Hybrid) and some more tempered glass screen protectors! I’m all in! Lol

I have the Spigen ultra hybrid in space Crystal and it's awesome. I know you asked about the rainbow effect on the back in another forum, no rainbow at all it looks awesome

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I do not have any second thoughts. This is the most impressive iPhone to date. The hardware is stunning, size is absolutely perfect! I had a 6s plus and 7 plus...I finally two months ago said to hell with this bulky phone and got a 7. Although the 7 was too small, the comfort and ease of my daily use was a breath of fresh air. I did miss the dual camera and definitely missed the screen real estate I had on the plus. I've been saying this since the 6 and 6 plus came out that a 4.7" screen in today's cell phone age is just too small as a standard model. Majority of androids start at 5" and now that the X finally came out, I'm one happy camper. It is the PERFECT size. It's not too big, not too small. The perfect in between to the two models that iPhone has no had for the past 3-4 years.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I only had my 8 Plus a week and I miss it a bit too, but holding the X and seeing how much easier it was to handle took much of that away. I bet next year we get a Plus version of this as the bezel phones disappear (but I also bet they'll keep the 8 / 8 Plus for those that want that style, Touch ID, etc.)

I think so too!
Next year is going to be exciting.

ndstreet

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
I find the X really comparable to the iphone 5 which I found to be a major disappointment. When it came out I was really excited to get more screen real estate. It was supposedly bigger than the 4 but not really, just stretched longer.

The X coming from my 7 Plus is a bit of a disappointment in that respect. I was hoping it would be comparable at least in screen size, not really bigger. But its just not. The narrower sides really make a difference.

I'm hoping that the fact that many apps so far are not optimized yet, making it seem like your on an even smaller phone with massive bezels, is just a software fix. And I like the latest and greatest tech feel of it. Lots of positives to say. Wouldn't consider returning it - but I can already guess that in when I move on to the next phone, I don't think I'll ever look back at the X as an all time favorite.

And its definitely a let down enough that I often stare at the 7 plus I gave to my son and its big screen with some jealousy. When I pick the 7 plus up however, its a brick so that feeling passes a bit.

But the analogy to the 5 series comes back to me. Very tall. Too tall. Not really a useful benefit of being so tall. Already looking forward to getting the Iphone Xs Plus next year and passing this one on to my daughter.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
From reading different forums some people that are big plus fans are disappointed with the X and are returning. So you may be better off waiting.

I have been a huge fan of the Plus, and had all of them, except the 8. My husband is using my jet black 7 Plus now, and when I pick it up I wonder how I ever put up with it for all those years.

I’ll never go back to that size. The X is perfection for me.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been a huge fan of the Plus, and had all of them, except the 8. My husband is using my jet black 7 Plus now, and when I pick it up I wonder how I ever put up with it for all those years.

I’ll never go back to that size. The X is perfection for me.

Agreed. I’ve had every Plus and now know the folly of my ways

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't own the X yet, but took this picture at Best buy of the X next to 8 +.... I like the size I think
db7f98c7a129d1d6926238939524be44.jpg

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
No second thoughts whatsoever from me! I’m loving this phone so much and hadn’t been this excited for a new iPhone since the iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro