So what is the actual difference in how the X looks with the OLED and the older lcd’s of past? I’ve read one review saying that the screens looks relatively similar given how accurate the OLED screens were tuned by Apple.

When I had a note 7 that OLED screen was gorgeous, so curious for those who have the X, how does it actually compare in real usage to the older lcd screens?
    11-05-2017 12:51 PM
    It is different than Samsung OLED displays. It has the smooth and crisp look to it like theirs do, but it doesn’t have the extreme color saturation that makes it “pop.” The colors are very accurate, almost identical to the LCD on my 7 Plus. Blacks are obviously a major improvement. The first thing I noticed is the color is completely uniform across the entire display, something I never had on any of my Samsung phones. There was always uneven white tones - white to pink usually. This one is 100% uniform, which I was very happy to see.
    11-05-2017 12:56 PM
    Maybe it’s just me or something I’ll have to get used to but I think it looks almost like nightmode...it has warmish tone that I don’t think I like. I’m hoping my eyes just need to adjust but there is just something about it that I don’t love.
    11-05-2017 12:59 PM
    Maybe it’s just me or something I’ll have to get used to but I think it looks almost like nightmode...it has warmish tone that I don’t think I like. I’m hoping my eyes just need to adjust but there is just something about it that I don’t love.
    True Tone is turned on by default. Turn it off in display settings and it will look normal again.

Edit: you can also 3D Touch the brightness toggle in the control panel to bring up a toggle for True Tone.
    11-05-2017 01:03 PM
    True Tone is turned on by default. Turn it off in display settings and it will look normal again.

Edit: you can also 3D Touch the brightness toggle in the control panel to bring up a toggle for True Tone.
    Thank you. Much better now...and thanks for the 3D Touch tip. I always forget about that. Looks like the flashlight has brightness options...I never realized that.
    11-05-2017 01:13 PM
    So then if I compare an iPhone x OLED to my iPhone 7 Plus screen, no major difference? When the note 7 got recalled I went to the 7 plus (from the 6s) because I wanted a larger screen, but I did miss the pop of the notes OLED screen.

Based on reviews, the iPhone x OLED is similar to the iPhone lcd’s then, and coming from a plus, actually smaller given the aspect ratio.

Does that sound right?
    11-05-2017 01:36 PM
    So then if I compare an iPhone x OLED to my iPhone 7 Plus screen, no major difference? When the note 7 got recalled I went to the 7 plus (from the 6s) because I wanted a larger screen, but I did miss the pop of the notes OLED screen.

Based on reviews, the iPhone x OLED is similar to the iPhone lcd’s then, and coming from a plus, actually smaller given the aspect ratio.

Does that sound right?
    You can tell it’s OLED and it looks nicer. However, people use Samsung’s color saturation as the OLED standard when comparing. In that sense, it does look more like the iPhone LCD displays. If the vibrant saturation of colors is what you’re after, you’ll be disappointed.
    11-05-2017 01:43 PM
    For “me”, the screen of my iPhone X doesn’t look that much better than the screen of my iPhone 8.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    11-05-2017 01:56 PM
    Thanks, you guys saved me over a grand!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-05-2017 02:27 PM
    It is different than Samsung OLED displays. It has the smooth and crisp look to it like theirs do, but it doesn’t have the extreme color saturation that makes it “pop.” The colors are very accurate, almost identical to the LCD on my 7 Plus. Blacks are obviously a major improvement. The first thing I noticed is the color is completely uniform across the entire display, something I never had on any of my Samsung phones. There was always uneven white tones - white to pink usually. This one is 100% uniform, which I was very happy to see.
    This is 100% accurate. I made a comment in the thread about first impressions of the X saying that OLED is very nice but it’s not like something I could live without. That’s not even a knock on Apple. It speaks to how well they perfected the OLED display.
    Just_Me_D and nikkisharif like this.
    11-05-2017 02:32 PM