Been using FaceID without issue since I received my phone on Friday (late morning). Normally wear contacts but have had no issues with glasses or sunglasses. This afternoon, upon trying to unlock the phone, I got an error message that FaceID has been deactivated and prompted me to go to Settings. When I went to Settings, there was a new “banner” near the top displaying the error. I clicked it and it said that FaceID has been deactivated due to an issue with the True Depth camera and that I should go to an Apple Store for assistance.

Of course, at this point I was fuming.

I hard-rebooted the phone and the error message went away FaceID has worked fine since.

Kind of anti-climatic, but thought I should post in case someone else runs into this...maybe saving a long drive to an  Store.
    11-04-2017 11:50 PM
    I didn’t get the error message but earlier this evening FaceID wouldn’t recognize me at all. I tried several times but it wouldn’t let me in using my face. I had to reboot the phone. Kind of off putting this early into ownership. Hoping this doesn’t become a frequent occurrence.
    11-04-2017 11:56 PM
    Oh geez. I hope this isn't a recurring issue.

I'm glad it worked out for you, so far...
    11-05-2017 12:06 AM