So I got my iPhone x yesterday. So far face if works, but not very good. You have to put your phone squarely in front of the face.
    If I am sitting on my couch with my legs up and my hands holding my phone down near my waist, it seems like it is too far to read my face. I have to bring the phone closer to my face.

In my car I have a phone mount which is to the right of the radio. It gives me a perfect view and reach for the phone. However to unlock even if I look straight at the phone, it isn’t good enough. I have to move my face close and lean toward the phone.

So far I am not really happy with it. It has slowed down my usage and made the phone less convenient than Touch ID.

Hopefully this is something that they can address via a software update.
    11-04-2017 02:48 PM
    So I got my iPhone x yesterday. So far face if works, but not very good. You have to put your phone squarely in front of the face.
    If I am sitting on my couch with my legs up and my hands holding my phone down near my waist, it seems like it is too far to read my face. I have to bring the phone closer to my face.

In my car I have a phone mount which is to the right of the radio. It gives me a perfect view and reach for the phone. However to unlock even if I look straight at the phone, it isn’t good enough. I have to move my face close and lean toward the phone.

So far I am not really happy with it. It has slowed down my usage and made the phone less convenient than Touch ID.

I turned off the requirement to show attention. Works a lot better for me now that I don’t have to look directly at it now.
    11-04-2017 03:02 PM
    I would try registering your face again. From what I’ve seen most people are not seeing an issue like this. I personally unlock from my waist area all the time. I hope registering your face again solves this issue for you.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    11-04-2017 03:03 PM
    Second day with the phone and I’ve had FaceID fail exactly one time on me and it was because I wasn’t looking at the phone. Even with the sun at my back, glaring straight into the camera, it didn’t fail but it did take a moment longer.
    11-04-2017 03:09 PM
    I’ll try turning off attention.
    Also from what distance did you guys set up face Id?
    11-04-2017 03:15 PM
    No idea. I just got my big *** head to fit in the circle. I have short arms so it wasn’t at my knees lol. But it works at any distance for me. I can say it’s been damn near flawless these two days.
    11-04-2017 03:28 PM
    I’m having no troubles so far thank god. I’m having a lot of fun
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-04-2017 03:41 PM
    I just set it up with my face right in the middle of the circle.
    11-04-2017 03:42 PM
    As much as I don't care for the X the face ID works perfect for me I would try and re-register your face and see if that helps.
    11-04-2017 03:47 PM
    I have had zero issues with the face recognition feature and it’s fast and even works in very low light. I would also try to reregister your face and see if that solves the issue.
    11-04-2017 04:16 PM
    I did the Face ID with my glasses on and now it won’t recognize my face without it. Should I set up without glasses being someone who always need it? I say this bc I woke up in middle of the night trying to use the phone without my glasses
    11-04-2017 04:45 PM

I haven’t experienced any of these issues and I’m about 24 hrs in now. It works in pitch black and from a few different angles that I’ve tried.

I’d try setting up your face scan again.
    11-04-2017 04:49 PM
    I did the Face ID with my glasses on and now it won’t recognize my face without it. Should I set up without glasses being someone who always need it? I say this bc I woke up in middle of the night trying to use the phone without my glasses
    I have tried with both my glasses on and off and so far it works just fine.
    11-04-2017 04:55 PM
    As you continue to use it, it’s supposed to get smarter I guess you could say at recognizing you, but because you’ve only had the phone for a day, I would set it up again without your glasses on, then use it a few times to make sure it’s unlocking properly, then put your glasses on and test it again a few times and make sure it works. You shouldn’t have a problem. Good luck!
    11-04-2017 05:08 PM
    I have not experienced this issue even with my Face attention is turned on. I suggest you scan your face again. I can always unlock my phone lower than my waist as long as I’m looking at it. I like the Face attention on for added security. So far, my experience with Face ID has been great!
    11-04-2017 05:13 PM
    The only time it failed for me is when I had a few fingers covering my mouth, just under my nose. It’s been rock solid even from distance. I have long arms too.
    11-04-2017 05:16 PM
    I’ve had zero issues with Face ID.
    It’s way more convenient and effortless than Touch ID, despite Touch ID being faster.
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-04-2017 05:50 PM
    Do one ID as normal and one lying down if you use your phone lying down.
    11-04-2017 06:11 PM
    The only time it failed for me is when I had a few fingers covering my mouth, just under my nose. It’s been rock solid even from distance. I have long arms too.
    It’s even worked for me when my face is resting on my hand, squishing my cheek. It’s pretty impressive. I had low expectations and this proved me wrong.
    11-04-2017 06:38 PM
    One thing I do miss is the speed of Touch ID 2nd Gen.
    Hence why I’m looking forward to the future of Face ID.
    11-04-2017 07:04 PM
    The only issue I’ve had with my glasses off is being too close to the phone when I woke up this morning. Other than that I’ve had no issues with my glasses on or off.
    11-04-2017 07:28 PM
    I set mine up without glasses and have no problem with it detecting me with or without the glasses now.
    11-04-2017 08:16 PM
    FaceID has been great for me. Unlocks the phone without issue at waist height or in the dark. The only time it hasn’t worked was when I was yawning when trying to unlock. And that is expected. It’s head and shoulders above Iris scanner on Samsung devices for anyone wondering.

I do have an issue but no sure if it’s FaceID or not. When my son is asking permission to download an app I have to keep entering my password. With touchID I didn’t. And yes, I have all of the settings enabled correctly. So just wondering if anyone else is able to approve purchases with FaceID.
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-04-2017 09:11 PM
    I just ran a test for the sake of this thread. I have my phone charging a little over arms length away from me on my sofa. I got a notification. Lights are off. I reached over, awkward angle, picked it up looking to my side, and it unlocked. All default settings are on.
    charmguru likes this.
    11-04-2017 09:13 PM
    I’m having the total opposite issue. I can’t seem to look at my screen from any angle without it unlocking. I was struggling trying to show someone the hidden notifications feature.
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-04-2017 09:34 PM
38 12