Face ID not very good

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So I got my iPhone x yesterday. So far face if works, but not very good. You have to put your phone squarely in front of the face.
If I am sitting on my couch with my legs up and my hands holding my phone down near my waist, it seems like it is too far to read my face. I have to bring the phone closer to my face.

In my car I have a phone mount which is to the right of the radio. It gives me a perfect view and reach for the phone. However to unlock even if I look straight at the phone, it isn’t good enough. I have to move my face close and lean toward the phone.

So far I am not really happy with it. It has slowed down my usage and made the phone less convenient than Touch ID.

Hopefully this is something that they can address via a software update.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So I got my iPhone x yesterday. So far face if works, but not very good. You have to put your phone squarely in front of the face.
If I am sitting on my couch with my legs up and my hands holding my phone down near my waist, it seems like it is too far to read my face. I have to bring the phone closer to my face.

In my car I have a phone mount which is to the right of the radio. It gives me a perfect view and reach for the phone. However to unlock even if I look straight at the phone, it isn’t good enough. I have to move my face close and lean toward the phone.

So far I am not really happy with it. It has slowed down my usage and made the phone less convenient than Touch ID.

I turned off the requirement to show attention. Works a lot better for me now that I don’t have to look directly at it now.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I would try registering your face again. From what I’ve seen most people are not seeing an issue like this. I personally unlock from my waist area all the time. I hope registering your face again solves this issue for you.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Second day with the phone and I’ve had FaceID fail exactly one time on me and it was because I wasn’t looking at the phone. Even with the sun at my back, glaring straight into the camera, it didn’t fail but it did take a moment longer.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I’ll try turning off attention.
Also from what distance did you guys set up face Id?

No idea. I just got my big *** head to fit in the circle. I have short arms so it wasn’t at my knees lol. But it works at any distance for me. I can say it’s been damn near flawless these two days.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
As much as I don't care for the X the face ID works perfect for me I would try and re-register your face and see if that helps.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have had zero issues with the face recognition feature and it’s fast and even works in very low light. I would also try to reregister your face and see if that solves the issue.

aznhomieboi1689

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I did the Face ID with my glasses on and now it won’t recognize my face without it. Should I set up without glasses being someone who always need it? I say this bc I woke up in middle of the night trying to use the phone without my glasses

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

I haven’t experienced any of these issues and I’m about 24 hrs in now. It works in pitch black and from a few different angles that I’ve tried.

I’d try setting up your face scan again.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I did the Face ID with my glasses on and now it won’t recognize my face without it. Should I set up without glasses being someone who always need it? I say this bc I woke up in middle of the night trying to use the phone without my glasses

I have tried with both my glasses on and off and so far it works just fine.

mattguy10

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site

As you continue to use it, it’s supposed to get smarter I guess you could say at recognizing you, but because you’ve only had the phone for a day, I would set it up again without your glasses on, then use it a few times to make sure it’s unlocking properly, then put your glasses on and test it again a few times and make sure it works. You shouldn’t have a problem. Good luck!

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I have not experienced this issue even with my Face attention is turned on. I suggest you scan your face again. I can always unlock my phone lower than my waist as long as I’m looking at it. I like the Face attention on for added security. So far, my experience with Face ID has been great!

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The only time it failed for me is when I had a few fingers covering my mouth, just under my nose. It’s been rock solid even from distance. I have long arms too.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’ve had zero issues with Face ID.
It’s way more convenient and effortless than Touch ID, despite Touch ID being faster.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
The only time it failed for me is when I had a few fingers covering my mouth, just under my nose. It’s been rock solid even from distance. I have long arms too.

It’s even worked for me when my face is resting on my hand, squishing my cheek. It’s pretty impressive. I had low expectations and this proved me wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2