So how are you liking the True Tone option of the X thus far?

tbernardi

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: True Tone Yay or Nay?

I don't mind it but it overrides the brightness setting as well and I find the screen is too dark in low light. If I could lock the brightness setting with TrueTone on... I would probably leave it on. but I understand the brightness setting is also part of the TrueTone feature.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't mind it but it overrides the brightness setting as well and I find the screen is too dark in low light. If I could lock the brightness setting with TrueTone on... I would probably leave it on. but I understand the brightness setting is also part of the TrueTone feature.

Are you using auto brightness? If so, turn it off and set brightness manually.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I see the True Tone setting but I don’t see the auto brightness one. Unless you guys are talking about the iPad Pro. I was thinking we were talking about the X.

I looked on the display and brightness setting and didn’t find auto brightness.

tbernardi

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site

Are you using auto brightness? If so, turn it off and set brightness manually.

Damn... Thank you. I didn't realize auto-brightness was in Accessibility settings... I thought they had removed it in favor of TrueTone.. My mistake. Glad I asked.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

I turned mine off for a couple of days. I found the display caused too much eye strain with it off (it also looked too blue).

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I’ve kept True Tone on. Too blue with it off. Ironically a colleague at work walking by me the other day said it looked yellow (w/ True Tone on).

Would be nice to be able to adjust it just a bit, but regardless I’ll be leaving it enabled.

Yeah, my Dad was like “why is the screen so yellow?”
I told him that it’s better for his eyes at night.

tbernardi

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site

I see the True Tone setting but I don’t see the auto brightness one. Unless you guys are talking about the iPad Pro. I was thinking we were talking about the X.

I looked on the display and brightness setting and didn’t find auto brightness.

Settings, General, Accessibility, Display Accommodations, Auto-Brightness

Its hidden pretty good :)

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I found it. I don’t think it’s affecting my battery life so I’m leaving it on and I’ll see what happens.

Mits5139

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I’m liking the feature. Definitely easier on the eyes. Have to say I still have a separate kindle for reading books. But the feature on my iPad and iPhone make a huge difference to my eye comfort

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I’m liking the feature. Definitely easier on the eyes. Have to say I still have a separate kindle for reading books. But the feature on my iPad and iPhone make a huge difference to my eye comfort

For sure.
It does get a bit warm/yellow in certain environments but it’s definitely more pleasant to the eyes.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site

For sure.
It does get a bit warm/yellow in certain environments but it’s definitely more pleasant to the eyes.

Same here. I also have auto brightness on which I’ve always used because I don’t like bright displays in the dark.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site

I’ve been using True Tone with Auto Brightness on my iPad for a while and I’m glad it’s now on iPhone. For me, it’s easier on the eyes and just looks less invasive if that makes sense. It matches the ambient light of wherever you are to blend in more with your surroundings. Just don’t use night shift with it. Even on the cooler setting, it tints the screen way too much.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I’ve been using True Tone with Auto Brightness on my iPad for a while and I’m glad it’s now on iPhone. For me, it’s easier on the eyes and just looks less invasive if that makes sense. It matches the ambient light of wherever you are to blend in more with your surroundings. Just don’t use night shift with it. Even on the cooler setting, it tints the screen way too much.

Same here. It’s probably all in my head but Night Shift looks way too warm on my iPhone X, even compared to my other iOS devices.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I run with true tone off on my 8 plus. Screen is so much crisp looking in my opinion, I also don't care for the yellow tint, I do use night shift though.

gyounk

Dec 10, 2017
Visit site

I like the true tone display. I did not think I would at first but it is really nice.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I like True Tone on the X. I got used to it on the iPad Pro and like the True white/paper appearance of the white rather than the blueish led look. In always thought the 7+ looked a bit funny after seeing the True Tone display.

I’m sure there’s a slight toll on battery life using True Tone since there are sensors that poll ambient lighting, but I don’t think it’s too big of a hit and it makes the device easier for me to use relative to eye strain. To me it’s worth it, but I see how others don’t like it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I like True Tone on the X. I got used to it on the iPad Pro and like the True white/paper appearance of the white rather than the blueish led look. In always thought the 7+ looked a bit funny after seeing the True Tone display.

I’m sure there’s a slight toll on battery life using True Tone since there are sensors that poll ambient lighting, but I don’t think it’s too big of a hit and it makes the device easier for me to use relative to eye strain. To me it’s worth it, but I see how others don’t like it.

I think so too.
I like it, but for some people it becomes to yellow. But because of that, it feels much easier on the eyes.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Turn it on and leave it on for a while. Your eyes will adapt and it won’t look so yellow. The problem is people probably compare it by constantly switching back and forth. Doesn’t leave any time to adapt to it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

I want to leave true tone on, but the photo editor in me says no since it changes the color of the screen when I'm dealing with photos. I think I've decided to leave it off unless I'm doing a bunch of reading, but maybe I should go the other way and shut it off when doing photo stuff.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW