For sure.
    It does get a bit warm/yellow in certain environments but it’s definitely more pleasant to the eyes.
    Same here. I also have auto brightness on which I’ve always used because I don’t like bright displays in the dark.
    12-04-2017 07:47 PM
    I have it on and don't seem to really notice it much, I can tell sometimes.
    12-04-2017 08:17 PM
    I’ve been using True Tone with Auto Brightness on my iPad for a while and I’m glad it’s now on iPhone. For me, it’s easier on the eyes and just looks less invasive if that makes sense. It matches the ambient light of wherever you are to blend in more with your surroundings. Just don’t use night shift with it. Even on the cooler setting, it tints the screen way too much.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-10-2017 06:38 AM
    I’ve been using True Tone with Auto Brightness on my iPad for a while and I’m glad it’s now on iPhone. For me, it’s easier on the eyes and just looks less invasive if that makes sense. It matches the ambient light of wherever you are to blend in more with your surroundings. Just don’t use night shift with it. Even on the cooler setting, it tints the screen way too much.
    Same here. It’s probably all in my head but Night Shift looks way too warm on my iPhone X, even compared to my other iOS devices.
    12-10-2017 07:10 AM
    I run with true tone off on my 8 plus. Screen is so much crisp looking in my opinion, I also don't care for the yellow tint, I do use night shift though.
    12-10-2017 07:44 AM
    I like the true tone display. I did not think I would at first but it is really nice.
    12-10-2017 10:44 AM
    I like True Tone on the X. I got used to it on the iPad Pro and like the True white/paper appearance of the white rather than the blueish led look. In always thought the 7+ looked a bit funny after seeing the True Tone display.

I’m sure there’s a slight toll on battery life using True Tone since there are sensors that poll ambient lighting, but I don’t think it’s too big of a hit and it makes the device easier for me to use relative to eye strain. To me it’s worth it, but I see how others don’t like it.
    12-10-2017 11:58 AM
    I like True Tone on the X. I got used to it on the iPad Pro and like the True white/paper appearance of the white rather than the blueish led look. In always thought the 7+ looked a bit funny after seeing the True Tone display.

I’m sure there’s a slight toll on battery life using True Tone since there are sensors that poll ambient lighting, but I don’t think it’s too big of a hit and it makes the device easier for me to use relative to eye strain. To me it’s worth it, but I see how others don’t like it.
    I think so too.
    I like it, but for some people it becomes to yellow. But because of that, it feels much easier on the eyes.
    12-10-2017 09:01 PM
    Turn it on and leave it on for a while. Your eyes will adapt and it won’t look so yellow. The problem is people probably compare it by constantly switching back and forth. Doesn’t leave any time to adapt to it.
    12-11-2017 11:06 AM
    I want to leave true tone on, but the photo editor in me says no since it changes the color of the screen when I'm dealing with photos. I think I've decided to leave it off unless I'm doing a bunch of reading, but maybe I should go the other way and shut it off when doing photo stuff.
    12-11-2017 12:47 PM
    I'd be shocked if it even had a 0.0007% effect on battery life.
    Actually, while you may be correct in older displays, OLED displays differ from LCD or LED displays in that instead of having a ubiquitous backlight that is filtered out to display different colors, each pixel is independently lit up.

Or put it this way: An LCD by default has all of the pixels turned *on* (pure white.) RGB color filters are then added to reduce the output to reveal different colors. "Black" is achieved when all of the RGB filters are turned on at their highest setting.

The result of this is that black on an OLED is "truly" black, with the pixel actually being completely *off*. (Where black on an LCD is actually turning on all filters at the highest settings.)

Thus colors make little to no difference on an LCD since the baseline white illumination is always on, where OLED Only powers lit up pixels, with black having the pixel truly turned off.

That is why you see most backgrounds on the Apple Watch predominately black: significant number of pixels turned off results in a significant reduction in battery usage!

The same goes for intensity- the brighter each pixel in an LCD is just a result of filtering; however, it is directly proportional to the voltage applied to each OLED pixel.

Thus True Tone, which is dimmer by nature, should result in a substantial decrease in battery usage.
    TripleOne likes this.
    01-11-2018 11:41 PM
    Yay to True Tone.
    I’ve enjoyed the LCD display on my 8 Plus thanks to True Tone.
    MaxSmarties likes this.
    01-12-2018 01:41 AM
    Definitively yes for me. I love it on both my iPad and iPhone
    01-12-2018 05:16 AM
    It’s a go for me. I tried to turn it off, but couldn’t go back to the headache splitting “blue screen”. My iPad doesn’t have True Tone and I notice it immediately every time I use it.
    I do notice that True Tone seems more aggressive on the X than my 8plus I used to have. Maybe it’s the OLED screen?
    01-12-2018 07:19 AM
    It’s a go for me. I tried to turn it off, but couldn’t go back to the headache splitting “blue screen”. My iPad doesn’t have True Tone and I notice it immediately every time I use it.
    I do notice that True Tone seems more aggressive on the X than my 8plus I used to have. Maybe it’s the OLED screen?
    I noticed it too, and I think it is the OLED.
    01-12-2018 10:22 AM
    I just turned it off to see if the difference is meaningful to me. I notice the difference for sure, but it’s not meaningful. I wonder if having it on impacts battery life at all. If so, I’d leave it off and forget about the feature in seconds. I’ve already adjusted to it being off as I type this response. It’s fine, on, as long as it doesn’t impact battery life but not worth it if it indeed does, IMO.
    01-12-2018 01:02 PM
    Turned it off since it was just putting out a yellow hue on the screen. Didn't like it.
    01-12-2018 01:18 PM
    I do like it! I got used to it, when I had my 8 Plus.
    01-12-2018 02:43 PM
    I’m not a yellow fan so I leave it off!
    01-12-2018 05:56 PM
    It looks yellow because your ambient light is warm.
    Hold a piece of paper next to your phone with it on. You will notice that it's very close to the same white point as the ambient lit paper. Turn it off and it gets much colder aka blue.

I was skeptical at first but once I got used to it I can't wait to have this feature on my macbooks!
    01-13-2018 01:25 PM
70 123