iPhone X fast charging

bigjoe7757

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
So I been reading up on the fast charging for my X. Everything I’m finding online talked about the Qualcomm 2.0 and that I will need to buy a usb-c to Lightning cable and a usb-c 29w power pack. So I was looking through my power packs and I found a Samsung usb fast charger from my work note 4 which after searching says it also is Qualcomm 2.0. So I tried my Apple usb to lightning and the Samsung fast charger and it charges. I will do a controlled test once my phone is down to 20 percent and see how much it charges in 30 mins. I will post my findings when I complete it. Any thoughts please let me know.

bigjoe7757

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Well I️ was able to try using the Samsung charger when my X was down to 20% and it charged at normal rate. I did read additional info online and found that the Apple powerpack is 14 volt 29w where the Samsung fast charger is 9volt 15 watt. So at this point if I want fast charging I️ will need to spend money.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've used the iPad charger and it worked as expected. The Belkin wireless charger is pretty fast, too. Took about 20 mins to go 17%.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I think people are getting confused fast charging (which is wired) w/ wireless fast charge.
1. Fast wired charging at Max possible speed (0-50% in 30 min) requires 29W or higher USB C brick + USB c to lightening cable. I used 61W (2017 MBP brick) with apple USB c to lightening (you have to buy Apple USB C to lightening, others online are fake mostly as tested by a tech review on YouTube, and boy it is fast. iPad chargers with USB A only give 12W which is nowhere the speed of fast charge.
2. Wireless charging is capped at 7.5W. standard wireless chargers give 5W power (same as apple charger in the box). Fast wireless chargers can supply up to 15W when using a 9v 15W brick but iPhones are capped at 7.5W so 15W is not possible.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought an Apple USB-C 61W brick and should be delivered in next couple of days and I have the USB-C to lightning cable. Will charge using that when my X gets to 1% to test the fast charging.

I’ve stayed away from wireless since I’ve heard it’s painfully slow

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
At some point I'll pick up one of Apple's USB C to Lightning cables. I already have the brick from my MBP I can use to test the speeds to see if it's worth buying a separate charger for when I travel.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought an Apple USB-C 61W brick and should be delivered in next couple of days and I have the USB-C to lightning cable. Will charge using that when my X gets to 1% to test the fast charging.

I’ve stayed away from wireless since I’ve heard it’s painfully slow

I tested with my 61W MBP 2017 brick w/ Apple USB C to lightening cable, went 2-53% in 30 min then it slows down, don’t remember but I think full charge happened in 1hr 25-35min.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That’s awesome. Gonna garage up tonight when I get home. Got my brick last night so I’m curious to try it out. I charged my iPad Air 2 with it and it was faster than the 10W brick