iPhone X owners, you might want to read this!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I’m just waiting on the lawsuits??????

Totally agree!!!

Oh give it time..there definitely will be complaints around here lol

The disclosure was there when Apple announced the X. People just don’t tend to pay attention to things like that.

Apple literally stood on stage and said OLED screens have traditionally come with trade offs but this is the first screen worthy of an iPhone. I don’t recall any disclosures offered on that stage that day. If we look at this from the standpoint of the average consumer, it feels a little shifty. We, the forum and tech blog crowd, are a minority. My parents know nothing of oled screen problems. I just think Apple could have marketed things differently rather than attempting to make it seem like they did things differently. Our screens can suffer the same fate as any other oled out there.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
All that said, I’m loving my X. And I bought AppleCare+ so I’m not really worried about any of this lol.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
We finally get OLED and people complain about known disadvantages of the technology lol.

I totally expected it

Apple literally stood on stage and said OLED screens have traditionally come with trade offs but this is the first screen worthy of an iPhone. I don’t recall any disclosures offered on that stage that day. If we look at this from the standpoint of the average consumer, it feels a little shifty. We, the forum and tech blog crowd, are a minority. My parents know nothing of oled screen problems. I just think Apple could have marketed things differently rather than attempting to make it seem like they did things differently. Our screens can suffer the same fate as any other oled out there.

I understand that, but you also have to understand the average consumer doesn’t watch those Keynotes either. This is not a new issue. People need to get over or just don’t get a device with OLED🤷🏾*♀️

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I totally expected it

I understand that, but you also have to understand the average consumer doesn’t watch those Keynotes either. This is not a new issue. People need to get over or just don’t get a device with OLED????????????*♀️

Yea I guess. All I know is when you’re at almost $1400 for a phone after insurance, Apple at least better not give grief to customers if this becomes an issue lol. The customers who just see a pretty new iPhone on tv and have no idea what an oled screen is deserve better. I believe that to be true for all the manufacturers. Not just Apple.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Well known issue but something seems different with the X. I have several other devices with the same screen technology and they all look better than what apple did on the X. Maybe it's just the way apple set it up.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Yea I guess. All I know is when you’re at almost $1400 for a phone after insurance, Apple at least better not give grief to customers if this becomes an issue lol. The customers who just see a pretty new iPhone on tv and have no idea what an oled screen is deserve better. I believe that to be true for all the manufacturers. Not just Apple.

I understand that, as well, but consumers need to take responsibility for their actions. Research is key!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well known issue but something seems different with the X. I have several other devices with the same screen technology and they all look better than what apple did on the X. Maybe it's just the way apple set it up.

They didn’t oversaturate the display the way most (all) other manufacturers do.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand that, as well, but consumers need to take responsibility for their actions. Research is key!

I’ve spent a while as a buffer between people and technology. That is so much easier said than done. A lot easier for us more technically inclined folks than the 75 year old grandma who sees a pretty screen and wants to FaceTime her kids. People are all different is all I’m saying. Simply saying “too bad folks you should have researched” is to ignore the millions of people who this tech stuff is new to.

Oh wells though. I’m sure all will be fine and this will be a nonissue. Hopefully this communication reaches the people it’s designated for. I don’t imagine that crowd is us.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
If you buy outright, it is not covered and has to be purchased. If you are in the Carrier program most include the cost of Apple Care in the monthly payment. I'm sure others will give more details but this is the way I understand it.
I purchased through at&t but will purchase AppleCare+ in the next week or so.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Lucky for me that Best Buy allows customers to purchase AppleCare+ with monthly payments instead of having to buy it all outright.

I've owned several Android phones with OLED displays over the years and I never suffered any burn-in, as far as I know. Just don't use your screen with 100% brightness all the time and you should be fine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

No, it’s not the responsibility of the seller to protect the buyer from his or her own ignorance. You’re either a “responsible” buyer or not.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
No, it’s not the responsibility of the seller to protect the buyer from his or her own ignorance. You’re either a “responsible” buyer or not.
Note the “$1400 after insurance” part of my comment. If my screen suffers burn in...you can bet your tail I’m at Apple the next day expecting something to be done. No level of responsibility will excuse them from that if it happens within the next two years of ownership.

And the longer we excuse the sellers and fault the buyers while manipulative sales tactics take place the worse off the consumers will be. That’s not good for anyone.

Not saying Apple is manipulative. Just that I don’t agree with the “blame the buyer” mentality. There should be a reasonable expectation placed upon those selling a product.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I was surprised at the color shift. I thought I had read a couple years ago on some home theater forums that OLED was going to be the replacement for plasma since it didn't have viewing angle issues. Apparently that's just in relation to the black levels and contrast but it does have color shift like LCD's though not as bad. Totally unrelated to the iPhone's OLED but having just read that I guess I'll be looking at a projector down the road instead of a 4K OLED lol.