iPhone X owners, you might want to read this!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been moderating the iMore forums a long time, and like my fellow mods, we can spot trends and behaviors long before they are detected by anyone else. With that in mind, someone is going to complain about this at some point so read the below information from Apple so that you won’t freak out when it happens to your iPhone X.

If you look at an OLED display off-angle, you might notice slight shifts in color and hue. This is a characteristic of OLED and is normal behavior. With extended long-term use, OLED displays can also show slight visual changes. This is also expected behavior and can include “image persistence” or “burn-in,” where the display shows a faint remnant of an image even after a new image appears on the screen. This can occur in more extreme cases such as when the same high contrast image is continuously displayed for prolonged periods of time. We’ve engineered the Super Retina display to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED "burn-in."
Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208191

The clock has started.........please share your thoughts below. Thank you.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I saw this a few weeks ago & I’m waiting for someone to complain about it. As for myself, things like this don’t bother me. It’s a minuscule issue that I may not even see. There’s other things in my life that deserve my attention & this just isn’t one of them. #FirstWorldProblems

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Saw that as well and some won’t be happy but like you said, there will be folks who aren’t happy with devices. Thanks for sharing.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I saw this a few weeks ago & I’m waiting for someone to complain about it. As for myself, things like this don’t bother me. It’s a minuscule issue that I may not even see. There’s other things in my life that deserve my attention & this just isn’t one of them. #FirstWorldProblems

I’m with you, but you know some people are going to lose their minds and swear the phone is defective when it happens....

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I also seen that and does not bother me in the least, so far this is the best iPhone yet and I have had them all since the first one was introduced way back when. I think the X is going to sell like hotcakes.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I also seen that and does not bother me in the least, so far this is the best iPhone yet and I have had them all since the first one was introduced way back when. I think the X is going to sell like hotcakes.

It’s already selling like hot cakes....

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple isn’t nearly the first to put an OLED in a smartphone but I’m willing to bet they’re going to be the best. If burn-in and image retention were truly going to be a problem I feel like Apple wouldn’t have put an OLED display on iPhone X. I could be wrong but Apple obviously didn’t design this phone in hast.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple isn’t nearly the first to put an OLED in a smartphone but I’m willing to bet they’re going to be the best. If burn-in and image retention were truly going to be a problem I feel like Apple wouldn’t have put an OLED display on iPhone X. I could be wrong but Apple obviously didn’t design this phone in hast.

Well stated, sir.........and I am in agreement. Having said that, you and I both know someone is gonna cry foul about the burn-in at some point after they’ve disregarded the screen saving tips.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well stated, sir.........and I am in agreement. Having said that, you and I both know someone is gonna cry foul about the burn-in at some point.

There’s always at least one in every group. All I know is that the iPhone X I’m using to type this post is an absolutely beautiful piece of hardware and the display is nothing short of STUNNING.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There’s always at least one in every group. All I know is that the iPhone X I’m using to type this post is an absolutely beautiful piece of hardware and the display is nothing short of STUNNING.

It is a beautiful device. No doubt about it, sir.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
The off-axis discoloration is a minor issue, more minor than the Google Pixel 2 XL, which is just awful.

It would be nice if display makers (*cough*Samsung*cough*) could figure out a quad HD display that doesn't have image persistence and pixel death after a couple of years.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
What!? OLED isn’t LCD! Oh no!!! Ha ha, I agree though, people will complain. Thanks for sharing it, now we have a place to link when people inevitably complain about it.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
As long as it's covered by AC+ I'm fine! Does anyone know if it is or isn't?

If you buy outright, it is not covered and has to be purchased. If you are in the Carrier program most include the cost of Apple Care in the monthly payment. I'm sure others will give more details but this is the way I understand it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
This does make you wonder what Apple meant when they stood on the stage and told us this is the first OLED screen worthy of putting in an iPhone. And I recall an article from Rene explaining why the screen in the X won’t suffer issues such as burn in like other oled screens.

So my issue wouldn’t be the potential for burn in or the angle issues. My problem is how Apple marketed and sold the phone only to release a disclaimer once the phone was in the wild. It’s a little disingenuous in my opinion.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’m with you, but you know some people are going to lose their minds and swear the phone is defective when it happens....

I’m just waiting on the lawsuits🤣

Totally agree!!!

Good useful information shared. I'm surprised there isn't a complaint thread already.

Oh give it time..there definitely will be complaints around here lol

So my issue wouldn’t be the potential for burn in or the angle issues. My problem is how Apple marketed and sold the phone only to release a disclaimer once the phone was in the wild. It’s a little disingenuous in my opinion.

The disclosure was there when Apple announced the X. People just don’t tend to pay attention to things like that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR