That wouldn't likely affect anything. For one, the navigation screen would not be stationary long and not high contrast. I would think using the same high contrast wallpaper might. So it might be a good idea to change wallpapers frequently. Maybe, don't know.
    Right, the map shifts constantly (obviously) as you're driving. But, things like next navigation point can be on screen for hours on long road trips or status bars. I've left my screen on for 11 hours driving from Miami to the Carolinas and using Waze.
    11-05-2017 10:14 AM
    Right, the map shifts constantly (obviously) as you're driving. But, things like next navigation point can be on screen for hours on long road trips or status bars. I've left my screen on for 11 hours driving from Miami to the Carolinas and using Waze.
    To be clear, there are two separate "concerns," image retention and burn in. They can initially look similar, but image retention will go away after a number of hours/days, by contrast burn in is permanent.

My understanding is that for burn in to occur, you'd need the screen up longer than 11 hours -- like a day or two of it constantly being up, as a minimum. And burn in has been greatly improved on newer OLEDs, so I'm guessing it would likely take even longer.

I do believe you might have some issues with image retention after 11 hours with Waze, or another nav program. You might see the ghosting from the status bars for several hours after, but they should go away as the phone rests or you use it for other activities.

OTOH, there are other things you can do to help minimize the effects you will have. For example, typically there are settings where you can set navigation to turn the screen off between turns; or you can manually reach up and turn the display off (hit the power button). When on a long stretch of highway, there really is no reason to keep the display on; Waze should automatically turn back on to announce you next turn when you are a mile or two away. Last, if you want to keep your screen on, I believe Waze has an option to turn the backlighting off, which could also help.
    11-05-2017 01:34 PM
    But that’s just it! The average consumer’s ignorance is on themselves and to say otherwise is making excuses for them. They have in the palm of their hand the tool they need to get all the necessary information about a product before purchasing. If they choose not to view that information, is that the fault of the seller or the fault of the consumer?
    We've had 10 years of iPhone that have not had this issue, people just buy the next one. I'd bet most don't even know the display is different, they're just used to upgrading. At the rate these phones disappear from stores, I'd be surprised if 1% have any idea. Is the disclosure prominent anywhere other than a side item somewhere on Apple's website?

I doubt we'll run into any issues except in extreme cases (you know those that willingly destroy the phone by burning it in just to see what happens). Most anyone who experiences it through regular use would probably be taken care of by Apple.
    11-05-2017 05:29 PM
    Just get AppleCare and if something goes wrong your covered.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-05-2017 06:08 PM
    We've had 10 years of iPhone that have not had this issue,
    True
    people just buy the next one. I'd bet most don't even know the display is different, they're just used to upgrading.
    That May also be true for a lot of people, but it still does not negate the fact that they are responsible for knowing what they are purchasing.
    At the rate these phones disappear from stores, I'd be surprised if 1% have any idea.
    Same as above...
    Is the disclosure prominent anywhere other than a side item somewhere on Apple's website?
    “prominent”? I doubt it. Readily available? Definitely! A Google search is all that is required.

I doubt we'll run into any issues except in extreme cases (you know those that willingly destroy the phone by burning it in just to see what happens). Most anyone who experiences it through regular use would probably be taken care of by Apple.
    Agreed....
    11-05-2017 07:00 PM
    Readily available? Definitely! A Google search is all that is required.
    If we've been conditioned to turn the phone in each year and get the next one, what's the reason to google anything this year? I don't think it's a big deal and again certainly nothing that Apple will expect to have an issue given how long people use their phones. I don't think Apple is responsible but I have a hard time seeing most people (outside people in these types of forums which make up a small % of users) will think to look up anything about OLED.
    11-05-2017 07:04 PM
    If ever there was a phone that you should get with Apple care it is this one. That way if anything happens your covered
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-05-2017 07:13 PM
    Is the disclosure prominent anywhere other than a side item somewhere on Apple's website?
    Where is it on apple's sure? Can you post a link?
    11-06-2017 09:22 AM
    Doesn’t the phone come with a one year warranty for physical defects, anyway?
    11-06-2017 12:26 PM
    Doesn’t the phone come with a one year warranty for physical defects, anyway?
    Yes.
    11-06-2017 12:31 PM
    Yes.
    Good. I chose to not get AppleCare in this phone as I already pay for AT&T’s insurance. I don’t want to pay for two insurances...

If I choose to get AppleCare, can I do so after purchase? Like if I go today?
    11-06-2017 12:32 PM
    Good. I chose to not get AppleCare in this phone as I already pay for AT&T’s insurance. I don’t want to pay for two insurances...

You can, I can't remember if there's a time limit or not, but whether or not there is and assuming you're within it (would be weeks/month(s) not days) you just have to bring the device with you so it can be inspected. You just won't be able to buy it online.
    11-06-2017 12:47 PM
    You can, I can't remember if there's a time limit or not, but whether or not there is and assuming you're within it (would be weeks/month(s) not days) you just have to bring the device with you so it can be inspected. You just won't be able to buy it online.
    Great. Thank you. Are we sure AC+ covers OLED burn?
    11-06-2017 12:49 PM
    Great. Thank you. Are we sure AC+ covers OLED burn?
    No idea, I would assume so if it's bad enough to notice it. That sounds like a great article for the iMore guys to research and present to us I suppose worst case just take a hammer to your screen and say your screen broke instead of it has burn in lol.
    11-06-2017 12:54 PM
    Lmao. Bout to have a few million people throwing their phones off of balconies in a year.
    11-06-2017 01:00 PM
    Lmao. Bout to have a few million people throwing their phones off of balconies in a year.
    LOL don't think you'd want to do that. You risk breaking the back if you do that and then it's a lot more $$$ to get it fixed.
    Alex Rodriguez Jr. likes this.
    11-06-2017 01:07 PM

Yes, you have 60 days.
    Alex Rodriguez Jr. likes this.
    11-06-2017 01:39 PM
    It's 60 days
    11-06-2017 01:39 PM
    Yes, you have 60 days.
    Thank you guys.
    11-06-2017 02:13 PM
    Thank you guys.
    You're welcome! I believe you can do it online as well since that's what I did a few weeks after I got my Apple Watch Series 2 Nike+.
    11-06-2017 02:45 PM
    I did mine by phone. They sent a link and 2 minutes later, AppleCare.
    11-06-2017 02:52 PM
    There might be a time limit to do it online. I'm not totally familiar with it though being with Apple only a couple years now and starting out on the iUP which just includes it no matter what. I know when I bought my iPad a couple months ago at Best Buy they told me you can buy it after the fact but the device has to be brought in. Maybe that was a best buy specific thing if you're buying Apple Care through them?
    11-06-2017 03:46 PM
    Where is it on apple's sure? Can you post a link?
    1st post in this thread.
    11-06-2017 05:19 PM
    There might be a time limit to do it online. I'm not totally familiar with it though being with Apple only a couple years now and starting out on the iUP which just includes it no matter what. I know when I bought my iPad a couple months ago at Best Buy they told me you can buy it after the fact but the device has to be brought in. Maybe that was a best buy specific thing if you're buying Apple Care through them?

You can buy it online:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/S...e-for-iphone-x

Also in-store or over the phone.
    11-06-2017 05:20 PM
    Well, I will be getting rid of my iPhone X in about 10 months anyway So not big deal.
    11-06-2017 09:22 PM
78 1234