Questions about transferring data to iPhone X

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I wanted to run down the sequence of activation if anyone can help. I currently have an iPhone 7 Plus with the extra iCloud space.

Tonight I plan to do a hard back up on my computer.

Tomorrow I plan to:

1. Go to my carrier store. I will get them to activate my new phone and also purchase Apple Care. In Canada, this wasn't an option to include with the pre order. Once they activate the new phone, I will do a quick set-up using iOS11 from both devices. One question I have is that I will still need to do a back up (likely encrypted from my computer even after I finish the quick set up in store). Will the iPhone X accept the SIM card from my current iPhone 7 Plus and are there any advantages or disadvantages to using my old SIM Card versus my new one that came with this new phone?

2. I will come home and do the restore from my computer to the new phone.

3. I will go to the place where I am selling my old iPhone 7 Plus which I have already unlocked from the carrier

Am I doing this all in the right order?

Thanks for any help.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If your sim is really old it may be worth getting a new one but I’ve used plenty of sims from existing phones in my new iPhones without issue.

Don’t forget to totally wipe and remove your device from iCloud before you sell it.

Why don’t you just activate your phone yourself? Just take out your sim and put it in the new phone. It should activate and will save you a trip out.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have to go to the store anyway for the AppleCare (I know. Don’t understand why I couldn’t do it online either) so figure it is safer to just do it there. Also, apparently the carrier is going to reimburse me for the new sim that came with this one.

I just finished doing the back up on my computer but it says it can’t back up firmware. That’s normal right? I also couldn’t encrypt the back-up but that’s prob because I am running a very old OS on my Mac that I am currently updating

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711