AT&T Crash During Purchase

clovethiatheve

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Anyone else buying an AT&T iPhone X experience a server crash while purchasing? I spent six hours at the Apple store today waiting while four employees tried to figure out what the heck was happening. The transaction server flipped out, causing AT&T’s database to think that I’d bought the phone, while Apple’s tried to push the other half of the purchase through but failed. Reversing the transaction and letting me have the phone since I’d paid would cause Apple to loan AT&T for no reason.

Once they’d figured out how to complete the purchase, an error in their EasyPays read that the SIM card inside the X (inside the box!) had already been activated and I needed to buy another device. They tried to activate me a few more SIMs but AT&T’s servers were so overloaded that they failed continually.

Additionally, a weird bug in AT&T’s base caused the Farmington Station, UT store to disappear from their store data list. Customer service was called four times but each agent insisted that the store didn’t exist.

I ended up going home without an X because AT&T couldn’t figure out how to fix itself. I’ll check back at the store tomorrow and see if it’ll be possible to complete the purchase by then. I’m so glad I live ten minutes away from one of the three stores in the state. Bless those Apple people—first they spent an hour waiting on hold on the help line, then they spent more hours reversing and following through with the transaction, only to be denied repeatedly, before finally promising me my phone would be kept in inventory for me and giving me a leather case for free as an apology.

I seemed to be the only one there to experience any problems out of this slew (along with many other major, accidental issues starting from before the preorder date...). I was wondering if anybody else went through anything like this? Or am I really the single unluckiest iPhone X buyer?

clovethiatheve

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Alex- Fortunately they are. They called this issue a “very unusual problem” so they’ll hold it for as long as it takes.

Ecm- I’ve heard a lot about that. Is that issue related to the not being able to initially purchase the phone?