iPhone X First Impressions Thread!

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Face ID is OK. It's not great. It is a step back from Touch ID. With Face ID, I have to sometimes move my head a little, get a little closer, and even then it misses occasionally. It's not my phone either. Same deal with my wife's phone. I know people spend $1200 and really want to love everything, but don't fool yourselves. Touch ID was much more responsive, accurate, faster, and in my opinion, more convenient.

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I really love it too.. thought I wouldn’t, especially since it had a black face plate, still getting use to that part, but everything thing seems to work flawlessly, I wasn’t a big user of the fingerprint scanner, but I set up my Face ID and it works so quick that I forget I’m even using it.. even in the dark! I guess now I can set my Apple Pay since I’m locking my phone now!

I can even fit this little phone in my small pants pockets without it being so obvious at work

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Face ID is OK. It's not great. It is a step back from Touch ID. With Face ID, I have to sometimes move my head a little, get a little closer, and even then it misses occasionally. It's not my phone either. Same deal with my wife's phone. I know people spend $1200 and really want to love everything, but don't fool yourselves. Touch ID was much more responsive, accurate, faster, and in my opinion, more convenient.

Give it a year or two and Face ID will catch up in terms of speed.

Touch ID is faster for now, but Face ID in my opinion is effortless.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site

My experience has been the opposite. I literally feel like I can shove my head you know where and this thing would still recognize me. But I do have a huge head and strong features (like my nose lol) so I would hope it has a great read on me.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. Totally first world problems here and I don’t want to be negative, but for example, I use my phone while it’s on my desk and the additional two steps it takes to use it is just a little annoying. Even just to use the calculator, I used to touch the home button from wherever I was sitting and plug away. Now I have to stop what I’m doing, pick up the phone, swipe up, look at it, hope that FACE ID works, then usually I have to wait for it to prompt to enter the password because unfortunately for me, a lot of the time Face ID doesn’t work. (And I reset the Face ID already) Plus, I mentioned in another thread that I sometimes use equipment that covers part of my face so it doesn’t recognize me so I guess I can disable the password or keep auto lock at an hour, then re-enable everything when I’m done. (Strange because it recognizes me even when I wear sunglasses. Go figure.)

Give it a year or two and Face ID will catch up in terms of speed.

Touch ID is faster for now, but Face ID in my opinion is effortless.

It’s not a speed issue, either. Face ID speed doesn’t bother me when it works. It’s just that it doesn’t work all the time.

Also, If I needed to use the phone while eating (pizza, for example), I would just unlock with my pinky for Touch ID and use that pinky to use the phone. Now I have to actually pick up the phone to look at it, etc. (And it won’t recognize me when I look at it while It’s sitting on my desk.)

I mentioned in another thread that I am really, really hoping that they somehow incorporate Touch ID in a future update. Then we would have the best of both worlds.

The other weird thing is how we now close apps by pressing on the app for a couple of seconds and wait for the red ⛔️ to appear. Sliding up on the app to close it was just so much quicker and more convenient. And I did almost accidentally call 911 and it set of an audible alert (and woke up my husband, lol) when trying to force restart my phone. Again, first world whining here. ;)

But on a positive note, I do love everything else about the X, especially the size and the display. Animojis are fun too. :)

Last edited:

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. Totally first world problems here and I don’t want to be negative, but for example, I use my phone while it’s on my desk and the additional two steps it takes to use it is just a little annoying. Even just to use the calculator, I used to touch the home button from wherever I was sitting and plug away. Now I have to stop what I’m doing, pick up the phone, swipe up, look at it, hope that FACE ID works, then usually I have to wait for it to prompt to enter the password because unfortunately for me, a lot of the time Face ID doesn’t work. (And I reset the Face ID already) Plus, I mentioned in another thread that I sometimes use equipment that covers part of my face so it doesn’t recognize me so I guess I can disable the password or keep auto lock at an hour, then re-enable everything when I’m done. (Strange because it recognizes me even when I wear sunglasses. Go figure.)

It’s not a speed issue, either. Face ID speed doesn’t bother when it works. It’s just that it doesn’t work all the time.

Also, If I needed to use the phone while eating (pizza, for example), I would just unlock with my pinky for Touch ID and use that pinky to use the phone. Now I have to actually pick up the phone to look at it, etc. (And it won’t recognize me when I look at it while It’s sitting on my desk.)

I mentioned in another thread that I am really, really hoping that they incorporate Touch ID in a future update. Then we would have the best of both worlds.

The other weird thing is how we now close apps by pressing on the app for a couple of seconds and wait for the red ⛔️ to appear. Sliding up on the app to close it was just so much quicker and more convenient. Again, first world whining here. ;)

But on a positive note, I do love everything else about the X, especially the size and the display. Animojis are fun too. :)

Yes, I know what you mean about sitting at your desk and having to lift your phone just to change a song or check out a quick FB post... I was really trying not to focus on negative and only focus on the positive! And I totally get the little pinky thingy... LOL

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I know what you mean about sitting at your desk and having to lift your phone just to change a song or check out a quick FB post... I was really trying not to focus on negative and only focus on the positive! And I totally get the little pinky thingy... LOL

904bd3ca21ed2ee9e668f714feb7abc1.jpg

LOL! :)

robinhelene

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It’s funny how people think that the phone is small but they have to realize that if you took the extra case around the 8 plus off...it would be about the same. I personally like having an easier time handling the phone. I have an IPad if I want a tablet.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I mentioned in another thread that I am really, really hoping that they somehow incorporate Touch ID in a future update. Then we would have the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately putting TouchID in would need a hardware change. If it's not there now it won't come to the X. I don't have any problems with FaceID, but I totally understand that it's not for everyone.

jkender

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
First day using it after setting up everything yesterday and working my way around the new features. Loving it so far and was a terrific upgrade from the 6. Face ID is pretty impressive. Was happy to see most apps with finger print access upgraded to face id. The screen / color quality is totally impressive over the older models I've used.

robinhelene

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
First day using it after setting up everything yesterday and working my way around the new features. Loving it so far and was a terrific upgrade from the 6. Face ID is pretty impressive. Was happy to see most apps with finger print access upgraded to face id. The screen / color quality is totally impressive over the older models I've used.

I agree. So bright!

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
The more that I use Face ID, the more I like and prefer using it over Touch ID. Today was the first time trying/using it while I’ve been wearing a pair of over the ears headphones, and it’s had no problems in unlocking the phone quickly.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I had preordered a Silver 256 MB GSM version sight unseen. I thought I would go to my local Apple store and see what it looked like and how it felt in the hand. I have a 7+ currently.

I was totally surprised how small overall it was. The screen was really nice, Face ID was not available because these were demo units.To be very honest, I like my 7+ better. It feels better in my hand and feels more solidly built than than the X. I have just over $500 invested in my used 7+ and it isn't worth the almost double price for me to upgrade. Maybe next year it will be "bigger."

I applaud those that love this device and are buying and upgrading. It's just not worth it to me at this time.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The more that I use Face ID, the more I like and prefer using it over Touch ID. Today was the first time trying/using it while I’ve been wearing a pair of over the ears headphones, and it’s had no problems in unlocking the phone quickly.

My only annoyance so far with Face ID is if my phone is flat on my desk at work, I have to pick the phone up for the Face ID. If I leave it down on the desk it asks for my pin

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My only annoyance so far with Face ID is if my phone is flat on my desk at work, I have to pick the phone up for the Face ID. If I leave it down on the desk it asks for my pin

While I understand the frustration; one of the funny things in all of this is the Android users, who have FPS sensors on the back, complain about how you have to pick up the phone to make Face ID work.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I think Face ID really is “learning”.

I posted earlier about some minor annoyances but now the phone unlocks when it’s laying flat on my desk and when I am using equipment that covers part of my face.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My first impression of the iPhone X, now that I have it, is a positive one. It’s fast, the screen is clear and bright, FaceID is not a gimmick and works very well. Authentication is not as fast as that of TouchID, but the 1 or 2 second speed difference is minor to ‘me’. It feels like I’m holding an iPhone 8 Plus without it being the size of the 8 Plus. It’s weird in that manner. This is a smash hit, in my opinion. Now for the negatives, I would prefer to be taken to the home screen after FaceID authentication instead of having to swipe up first. Second, speed up the authentication and implementation process when using Pay, specifically at retail stores. TouchID wins in that regards hands down, in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73