iPhone X First Impressions Thread!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't have a Note 8 anymore. I exchanged it for the 8 Plus a couple of weeks back. But as far as the iPhone X is when compared to the Note 8: the size of the X is much more manageable than the size of the Note 8, for sure. The Note 8 felt like a huge brick in my pocket and the X feels like a small iPhone in my pocket, which is a good thing. The Note 8 is just too big.

I felt like the Note 8 was too big too. I saw one on display the day before they went on sale. It’s too tall. I kinda feel like my S8+ is too tall now too.

Travis Hutchings

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
First impressions are that it is quick, Face ID works as advertised, but with the screen taking up the whole front side it has become just a tad to big for me.

I like to be able to touch everything with my one hand. I had an iPhone 7 Jest Black and was able to hit everywhere on the screen, however, with the X it is hard to get to the control center without readjusting. Not that big of a deal though.

I really like the OLED and HDR videos look great. I will post more as I get used to it more and more.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea when my cases are getting in so I financed a screen protector and Otterbox Symmetry today. I noticed that the X is actually a little easier to use in a case. This surprised me a little.

ReggieTee

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
A few thoughts on the iPhone X:

I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. It's an iPhone. It's iOS. So i'll update this throughout the day probably.

Like: Build quality. The hardware is what we've come to expect from Apple.
Like: FaceID. It seems to be working as advertised.
Like: The display: The display is great. Not sure I like TruTone on though. Makes the screen look like Night Shift is on.
Like: Dat Camera: It's awesome.
Like: Animoji: Yeah it's fluff but it's damn fun and the accuracy of it mimicking your facial expressions are on point.

Dislike: The size: Not a fan. Don't like it. Sure you get a larger screen but the phone is still a hair larger than the regular iPhones. Why did I go so long without trying an iPhone? The size. The jury is out on whether the size grows on me but I'll halt all accessory purchases aside from the one case I have and one on the way for a week to see if it grows on me.Could be a dealbreaker FOR ME. It feels good in the hands...LADIES (Shout out to Floss) and I don't have large hands but I've had big phones since the Note 4.

Dislike: The battery percentage does not fit in the top bar because of the notch. There's no space for it. So I have to slide over to widgets to see that.
Dislike: Wasted space when you bring up the keyboard. See the attached picture.

Dislike: FaceID: I know I have it as a like but I don't like to still swipe to go to the home screen. If have the option to wake the display on pickup, FaceID needs to recognize me and go immediately to homescreen.

Dislike: App optimization. The iphone reveal was what, September? Why is your app not ready on launch Day.

That's all I have for now. It's an iPhone. It's iOS, you know what you're getting. Right now, that's how I feel. I've only been up and running for a little over an hour. Haven't played around with the camera yet and that's what i'm about to get into as I get out and about. When I focus on the screen, the size of the phone is less of an issue for me. I still wish it were larger though (That's what she said).
I could see this being the base model next year at the current 8 prices and a larger phone/display at the $999 price point. From my short experience so far, I'll give it a week to see if it grows on me.

ReggieTee

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
First impressions are that it is quick, Face ID works as advertised, but with the screen taking up the whole front side it has become just a tad to big for me.

I like to be able to touch everything with my one hand. I had an iPhone 7 Jest Black and was able to hit everywhere on the screen, however, with the X it is hard to get to the control center without readjusting. Not that big of a deal though.

I really like the OLED and HDR videos look great. I will post more as I get used to it more and more.

Funny and I don't like the size. Sure the display is larger but I've been a Plus user.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I am liking it so far. Loving the size and how it is not that much larger than the 7 and you finally get top of the line specs with a smaller phone. Screen looks really nice, the notch really hasn't bothered me. Many of the apps I use were updated to take advantage of it (still some that haven't been, but only a few)

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Those complaining about the bezels... serious thought.. what if Apple CAN’T take it to the edge “infinity style” due to Samsung copyrights? I don’t see any technological limitation - they already purchase the technology from Samsung, and Apple really has a knack for implementing technology, even if it isn’t first to the game. They may have been obligated to keep a thin (it really is thin, it isn’t large like some of you guys are saying) to avoid licensing costs. Just my thought. Second day with the phone and this is the most intuitive I have ever thought iPhone has performed. My biggest complaint has always been it WASN’T intuitive... that’s all gone now.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
A few thoughts on the iPhone X:

I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. It's an iPhone. It's iOS. So i'll update this throughout the day probably.

Like: Build quality. The hardware is what we've come to expect from Apple.
Like: FaceID. It seems to be working as advertised.
Like: The display: The display is great. Not sure I like TruTone on though. Makes the screen look like Night Shift is on.
Like: Dat Camera: It's awesome.
Like: Animoji: Yeah it's fluff but it's damn fun and the accuracy of it mimicking your facial expressions are on point.

Dislike: The size: Not a fan. Don't like it. Sure you get a larger screen but the phone is still a hair larger than the regular iPhones. Why did I go so long without trying an iPhone? The size. The jury is out on whether the size grows on me but I'll halt all accessory purchases aside from the one case I have and one on the way for a week to see if it grows on me.Could be a dealbreaker FOR ME. It feels good in the hands...LADIES (Shout out to Floss) and I don't have large hands but I've had big phones since the Note 4.

Dislike: The battery percentage does not fit in the top bar because of the notch. There's no space for it. So I have to slide over to widgets to see that.
Dislike: Wasted space when you bring up the keyboard. See the attached picture.

Dislike: FaceID: I know I have it as a like but I don't like to still swipe to go to the home screen. If have the option to wake the display on pickup, FaceID needs to recognize me and go immediately to homescreen.

Dislike: App optimization. The iphone reveal was what, September? Why is your app not ready on launch Day.

That's all I have for now. It's an iPhone. It's iOS, you know what you're getting. Right now, that's how I feel. I've only been up and running for a little over an hour. Haven't played around with the camera yet and that's what i'm about to get into as I get out and about. When I focus on the screen, the size of the phone is less of an issue for me. I still wish it were larger though (That's what she said).
I could see this being the base model next year at the current 8 prices and a larger phone/display at the $999 price point. From my short experience so far, I'll give it a week to see if it grows on me.

I'm also confused with all that space under the keyboard. I'm not mistyping but it just looks so odd

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm also confused with all that space under the keyboard. I'm not mistyping but it just looks so odd

Yea I don’t really care for the space underneath either. In some apps so far when using SwiftKey, it leaves a small white bar across the screen.
95d3c3f736e185755c0087c6f03540e0.jpg

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Usually have decent signal down at a family members house where the reception isnt great, but still have LTE available. Although today I'm not sure if the weather has something to do with it but I'm only getting 1x now.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I picked up three X's earlier. One to play around with during the trial period and going to try to sell the other two. Been playing with it since it restored a couple of hours ago.

- Very nice form factor

- I'm impressed with the screen, but not overtly. OLED is nice but I could live without it

- I am somewhat already clamoring for a bigger screen

- Face ID is still learning my face as I go so I'll reserve judgement on that after a few days

- Apps that aren't updated for the X screen look pretty bad, lol

- I absolutely hate and I mean HATE going from a screen with black to white because that notch kills me. I absolutely notice it when going from dark to light screens and don't know if I could be used to it

- I feel like some stock apps waste screen real estate with all the white at the bottom. Examples of this are the Mail and Messages apps

- Really like how I can look at the lock screen with a message notification and have the message displayed without having to 3D touch it and enter touch ID. Much more seamless. Not a "chore" lol

- Cameras are nice and wife will love portrait mode for the front-facing camera to my chagrin

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Dislike: App optimization.

I agree with you on that point. The iPhone X was announced on September 12 and app developers had a couple of months to optimize their apps, and it's disappointing that so few developers actually optimized their apps in that time. There's no excuse for that at all.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Great phone, true plus users might not like it, but 7/8 users like me that didn't like the plus will love it.
Never liked the home button the new one was better but the old like on iPads was never consistent, some smooth some clicky and noisy, and TID was hit and miss with my rough fingers.
Screen is excellent, my only complaint is FID in my car as its brodit holder is over to the left and have to lean over a bit to open, am looking for a new wireless car holder/charger anyway.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

When I 1st saw the bar I thought it was going to fill with icons for my other keyboards and I’m disappointed it doesn’t. I have 4 other non apple emoji keyboards use and it would be nice if they all just populated into that bar rather than having to hold down and select one.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
When I 1st saw the bar I thought it was going to fill with icons for my other keyboards and I’m disappointed it doesn’t. I have 4 other non apple emoji keyboards use and it would be nice if they all just populated into that bar rather than having to hold down and select one.

I hear ya, I don't care for it and it is kinda annoying me!

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
When I took this phone out of the box and held it for the first time the first thing that stands out to me is the weight of the device. It is so nicely weighted and feels so nice in the hand that I spent the first 10 minutes or so just holding it and turning it around in my hands. The phones just feels so solid, possibly moreso than the essential phone . Next was just how glossy it was and how easily this phone smudges. This is the first iPhone I have had with a white back (because I prefer the black fronts). As with most glass phones it is easy to smudge and easy to clean off. I thought that by getting the white/ silver back it would be able to hide the finger prints a little better but that does not appear to be the case.
The camera bmp on this phone is huge. Bigger than the one on the 8 plus. It almost as if they want it to be a statement piece of the phone, a lot like the notch on the front. I understand why it has to be there but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Last but not least is perhaps the weirdest one to me. in fact I still have trouble believing it. The iPhone x is 7.7mm thing but when compared in thickness to my galaxy s8 (that is 8mm at its thickest point) it feels like the thicker of the two devices. This threw me for a loop. but oddly enough I like it. The X feels more substantial in the hand.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Those complaining about the bezels... serious thought.. what if Apple CAN’T take it to the edge “infinity style” due to Samsung copyrights? I don’t see any technological limitation - they already purchase the technology from Samsung, and Apple really has a knack for implementing technology, even if it isn’t first to the game. They may have been obligated to keep a thin (it really is thin, it isn’t large like some of you guys are saying) to avoid licensing costs. Just my thought. Second day with the phone and this is the most intuitive I have ever thought iPhone has performed. My biggest complaint has always been it WASN’T intuitive... that’s all gone now.

I highly doubt Samsung can patent small bezels. the essential phone and mi mix both have minimal side bezels. I think it was more a design choice by apple to reduce accidental touches; something the s8 suffers from a lot.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I highly doubt Samsung can patent small bezels. the essential phone and mi mix both have minimal side bezels. I think it was more a design choice by apple to reduce accidental touches; something the s8 suffers from a lot.

I personally can not stand the curved edges on the Sammy’s phones. But the Essential phone, IMO is a masterpiece. If the iPhone X had the same size side bezels as that phone, then the iPhone X would be absolutely perfect for me.

I also wish there was a way to force apps to go full screen (like on the Essential Phone). That will never happen without Jailbreaking, and there is no way I’ll jailbreak my iPhone X. Maybe developers will hurry up and update their apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox