iPhone X First Impressions Thread!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I personally can not stand the curved edges on the Sammy’s phones. But the Essential phone, IMO is a masterpiece. If the iPhone X had the same size side bezels as that phone, then the iPhone X would be absolutely perfect for me.

I also wish there was a way to force apps to go full screen (like on the Essential Phone). That will never happen without Jailbreaking, and there is no way I’ll jailbreak my iPhone X. Maybe developers will hurry up and update their apps.

I would think that looking at how the sales of the iPhone X have taken off, developers will be updating their apps more sooner then later.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
When I took this phone out of the box and held it for the first time the first thing that stands out to me is the weight of the device. It is so nicely weighted and feels so nice in the hand that I spent the first 10 minutes or so just holding it and turning it around in my hands. The phones just feels so solid, possibly moreso than the essential phone . Next was just how glossy it was and how easily this phone smudges. This is the first iPhone I have had with a white back (because I prefer the black fronts). As with most glass phones it is easy to smudge and easy to clean off. I thought that by getting the white/ silver back it would be able to hide the finger prints a little better but that does not appear to be the case.
The camera bmp on this phone is huge. Bigger than the one on the 8 plus. It almost as if they want it to be a statement piece of the phone, a lot like the notch on the front. I understand why it has to be there but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Last but not least is perhaps the weirdest one to me. in fact I still have trouble believing it. The iPhone x is 7.7mm thing but when compared in thickness to my galaxy s8 (that is 8mm at its thickest point) it feels like the thicker of the two devices. This threw me for a loop. but oddly enough I like it. The X feels more substantial in the hand.

I am pretty surprised with the weight and thickness as well. It's definitely a solid device, but so much thicker than the 7/7+ and 8/8+. I wonder if that had anything to do with wireless charging.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I am pretty surprised with the weight and thickness as well. It's definitely a solid device, but so much thicker than the 7/7+ and 8/8+. I wonder if that had anything to do with wireless charging.

Probably not considering both 8 models have wireless charging too.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The wireless charging coil does add to to it but that cant be the only thing . The 7 plus is 7.3mm and the 8plus is 7.5mm while the x is 7.7mm. i think the big battery is a huge contributing factor as well

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love my X. I have had a plus since they first released the 6 plus. It was a dream device for me for so long, but after years of the size it began to bother my wrists. This is where the X became the perfect device for me. Just the form factor alone is a perfect.

Face ID is flawless. It even works in the dark.

The speed, I am so impressed with it compared to even my 7 plus.

decarlo4

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Of course I like it! But I’m not real happy that my banking apps etc. that I use touch ID to log onto don’t work now with Face ID. I thought they said it would automatically take the place of touch ID. Or is it up to the individual app to adjust to Face ID? Anybody know??

Face ID works with the Chase app but it hasn’t been updated yet for Capital One.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Loved the small form factor the most, didn't really see much difference between the 8 plus screen and the X, but it wasn't enough to sell it to me today picked up a SG8 plus instead. Congrats to all though who have the X its an awesome phone.

ReggieTee

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Likely returning my X. I don't like the small form factor. As a long time Android fan, when the Plus series came along that was when I decided to try an iPhone. I love the size of the Plus. The X isn't really more screen, it's taller and narrower. I don't want a small phone, period. I may get the 8 Plus and wait a year for the X Plus which you know will be an option next year.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
First impressions are that it is quick, Face ID works as advertised, but with the screen taking up the whole front side it has become just a tad to big for me.

I like to be able to touch everything with my one hand. I had an iPhone 7 Jest Black and was able to hit everywhere on the screen, however, with the X it is hard to get to the control center without readjusting. Not that big of a deal though.

I really like the OLED and HDR videos look great. I will post more as I get used to it more and more.

If you haven't turned on Reachability, it sounds like it might be something you'd like having. You turn it on in Settings>General>Accessibility. Then to activate it, swipe down from close to the bottom of the screen (may take a bit of practice to learn). Reachability even makes it so you can pull down the Notifications and Control Panel screens easier.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm fairly sure the added thickness on the X is that they are putting a battery that is slightly larger than the one in the 8 Plus into a phone that is closer in size to the 8.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm fairly sure the added thickness on the X is that they are putting a battery that is slightly larger than the one in the 8 Plus into a phone that is closer in size to the 8.

I wasn’t aware that this had a bigger battery than the plus model

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My first impression was that it felt cheap to me. The screen was nice and the camera was too long. Animations take far too long and I still don't like face id lol.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
My first impression was that it felt cheap to me. The screen was nice and the camera was too long. Animations take far too long and I still don't like face id lol.

Are you using a Plus? Is it the weight that made it feel cheap or something different altogether? Just curious.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I can see how it being lighter than the Plus could make it feel cheap. But neither my 8 or my X feel cheap to me. I haven’t held a 2XL, but the Note 8 felt off to me too.
The 8 and 7+ didn't feel cheap to me but the 2xl has a similar heft to the 7+ but the note 8 and X are so light ....too light

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen