iPhoneX experience? Coming from Blackberry

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi All

I am new here and sorry if I am posting in the wrong section or if this has been answered/discussed already.

I have been doing some research and couldn't really find specific answers to some questions so I thought i would check here.

I am for the first time *seriously* considering switching to iphoneX after being a die hard Blackberry user now that it is gesture based. (Never liked the home buttons and thought they were counter productive.)

I have only been a Blackberry user never tried anything else. Currently I have a Passport. Full disclosure - I loved the Passport, till do. I am looking to upgrade and not sold on the K1 with some of its issues.

I know many of you are ex berry people and wondering how has the switch been?

My questions are:

How well does the filing system work with iphones compared to Blackberry? As simple and quick? Can i attached/share files and pics from emails without going in and out of apps?

Can I quickly and easily edit/sign PDF's? Attach/send receive via email/text and share without hassle?

Is there issues with reading excel, word or pdf or other attachments when sent to me from PC or Microsoft documents or when i send them to others? (unsupported file errors etc)

The BB10 fluency/navigation was such a great experience (peek/flow) and was one of the main reason for staying so long. It worked so well. Simple and fast. Is the iPhone experience similar?

*Edit* I forgot to ask about Calendar. I have multiple and use Outlook 365/ Microsoft exchange. I am assuming multiple calendars are not an issue

What is the biggest draw back compared to the BB10? What frustrates you the most with apple devices that I can expect? (besides the battery life as that is obvious and i believe discussed alot) That may be my one hold back.

Sorry if these have been answered already or if they are dumb questions but i couldn't find it all in one place and I have not ever used any other OS.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Besides the physical keyboard missing the IOS experience is a good one. I also have had almost every BlackBerry and the iPhone X will amaze you at what it can do and how fast it does it. You just need to give it time to get use to before making judgment. Blackberry is now Android which is also a good OS but Apple devices work well and a little better than Android does. If you have any other apples devices like a Mac or iPad the X will integrate well with the other items you own.

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Thanks o4libety, yes the smoothness of the os is intriguing for for sure. Obviously no work arounds and tonnes of apps. Integration with family would be nice. Just not sure on the other stuff with attachments and reading attachments etc. thanks for the reply

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
@dflyer, when I initially switched over to the iPhone, I made the adjustment quite easily. Still, there were things I missed about the Blackberry. I thought certain procedures or way of doing things made more sense on the Blackberry than on the iPhone at the time. Anyway, I went back to Blackberry after my iPhone fell into the ocean off the coast of South Carolina. I returned to the iPhone a couple years later and have been with it ever since. The iPhone has become a full-fledge business device for me. I don’t have the iPhone X, but I do have the iPhone 8. Anyway, with the exception of adjusting to the way things are done on a Blackberry device, I don’t think you’ll have any problems getting accustomed to the iPhone.

Last edited:

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
@dflyer, when I initially switched over to the iPhone, I made the adjustment quite easily. Still, there were things I missed about the Blackberry. I thought certain procedures or way of doing things made more sense on the Blackberry than on the iPhone at the time. Anyway, I went back to Blackberry after my iPhone fell into the ocean off the coast of South Carolina. I returned to the iPhone a couple years later and have been with it ever since. The iPhone has become a full-fledge business device for me. I don’t have the iPhone X, but I do have the iPhone 8. Anyway, with the exception from adjusting to the way things are done on a Blackberry device, I don’t think you’ll have any problems getting accustomed to the iPhone.

Apprieciate the input! Thats what worries me most is the unknown "way things get done" It seems so fluent on the berry's. Seems to me I will never know until I switch. Obviously, I would need to make adjustments and get used to things. It would be predominatly a buisness device for me, thats for sure.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apprieciate the input! Thats what worries me most is the unknown "way things get done" It seems so fluent on the berry's. Seems to me I will never know until I switch. Obviously, I would need to make adjustments and get used to things. It would be predominatly a buisness device for me, thats for sure.
I was a die-hard Blackberry guy so I understand your hesitation. Still, I also know that when you've been accustomed to doing something a certain way, the unwillingness to to accept a different method is often the biggest hindrance. After a small adjustment period, you find that although you may find the old way to be your preferred, the new way isn't as bad as you had feared.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am still a Blackberry person and I am now active on both the CB and iMore forums. I loved OS10 and I will honestly say that Apple has done their homework and the iPhone X is the future of the gesturing concept.

I still miss the Hub which is unique to Blackberry, but the Notification Center pull down and displaying them on the home screen has greatly improved.

I have adapted to the X quite nicely and I still have a KeyOne, but have been taken back to Gestures on my new iPhone X.

If you have the financial resources to get the new X, I say go for it. If you loved Blackberry OS10 and using gestures. This is the device for you.

The one major advantage for me being I use iMacs in my business is the integration between the iPhone and my desktops is second to none.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You will not find the same robust file system in iOS 11.
That said, I can attach and share pictures and excel and word files with the use of the Microsoft apps available in the Apple store.
I’ve never digitally signed PDFs because we have to use Entrust which we cannot use anywhere except out Work issued laptops. And yes I can share without hassles.
No errors with Microsoft docs. The Microsoft apps are solid.
I went completely from Blackberry to iOS with the iPhone 5s and haven’t looked back. Before that, I’d been using both. The iPhone 5s was the one that had me make the move. It’s a different way of song things and a different approach that worked better for me. Even at work, when they took our BlackBerry away, I thought I’d die. But nope. I’m using an iPhone 7 with Good Tech and I don’t miss Blackberry at all.
I only use the native calendar. For me it works.
The only drawback is the filing system. It’s just not there yet.
I’m not frustrated at all by Apple devices. The dependability far outweighs the only flaw that it has which is the file system. As far as the battery, I get better battery than I did on my Passport, which I haven’t fired up in months. I haven’t checked lately but I easily get a full day. My work iPhone 7 also gets me a full workday. But then again, it’s always been a habit of mine, even with the insane battery of the 9700, to plug in whenever I can. So I plug in while I’m in the car, then in the office on my office day, then back in the car. On travel I leave the car fully charged and then plug in while on the plane. On weekends the phone lasts from my mani pedi to my hair appointment to all my grocery shopping to whatever else
I might be doing.
I tested the battery when I first got the phone and haven’t thought about it since. My findings were that it gets me even better than my iPhone 7 Plus which was already fantastic.
Edit: just noticed you asked specifically about the iPhone X. I have an iPhone 8 Plus.

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi qbnkelt

Thanks for the specific answers. Yes i was looking at x but generally speaking i believe the ecosystem would be similar. I am the same as you as I would probably be plugged in wherever i go anyway. Car/desk etc. So in regards to the file system, when saving an attachment, does it open up a 3rd party app ? or does it save on the device then I have to manually move it? thanks

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Hey dflyer, did you end up making the switch? I'm still on BB 10 and the two things that concern me the most is the lackluster email support and total lack of notification profiles which I have come to rely on quite a bit with BB10

KAM1138

Mar 25, 2019
Visit site
Hey dflyer, did you end up making the switch? I'm still on BB 10 and the two things that concern me the most is the lackluster email support and total lack of notification profiles which I have come to rely on quite a bit with BB10

Hello,

Out of necessity (My BB Passport SE Battery went bad) I made the leap to an iphone XR (after a very brief Key2 LE venture). It's actually not so bad so far, but naturally, I'm missing the "flow" as it were with the Hub.

I'm looking for ways to emulate the blended communications workflow, or at least the ability to view (via notifications) multiple communications. It seems iOS has a lot of notifications options, but I've not got them working effectively for myself yet.

KAM

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I was a serious crackberry addict for many years. Have used android successfully but keep coming back to iOS currently because of the ecosystem primarily. You're not going to find the same unified communications capability but I've mainly been able to work around it. If the people you're contacting are also on Apple devices? No issue. If you are emailing or messaging crossplatform? Then you may have to resort to third party solutions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods