I did, and it is still acting up. It is not unusable, it just randomly freezes and reboots on its own
    That's a pain. A restore might be your only option then. If she does decide to go that route I would start from scratch though instead of using a backup. Sounds like something might've gone wonky with an update.
    RobertP1 likes this.
    11-03-2017 07:02 AM
    used to be strictly clean but this time i'll just go with the restore from encrypted backup to make it easier to have everything like i already have it.
    11-03-2017 09:49 AM
    I have started from backups the last few times. I think I'm starting clean this time. Ever since I installed 11 beta my phone has random reboots. Has not went away with official 11. I'm thinking if I start clean I can alleviate the chances of that happening on my X.
    11-05-2017 06:35 AM
    I have always restored from a backup, it’s puts my new device back exactly the way it was the last time I backed it and for myself I automatically back up daily through iCloud.
    robertk328 and kataran like this.
    11-05-2017 09:15 AM
    We always setup as new when upgrading, you can’t beat starting fresh!
    11-05-2017 11:20 AM
    It’ll be nice when they re-enable the iCloud messages so starting fresh will be even better. No health days though but for many that’s ok.
    11-05-2017 11:44 AM
    I tend to start fresh with a new device, but it’s not necessary.
    11-05-2017 11:48 AM
    I’d like the option to restore certain parts of my backup. I’d like to keep my health data (without the need to buy an external paid app to do so) while starting a fresh.

I could live with reinstalling the apps and reordering them but I’d like to be able to decided which bits of my backup restore and which don’t.

Did used to be able to do this with blackberry years ago!
    11-06-2017 03:05 AM
    11-06-2017 05:28 AM
    I always start new fresh install on a new device or new OS version. I don't have allot of apps so it's easy for me, can be a pain if you have allot of apps, but I think it's worth the troubles.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-06-2017 05:29 AM
    Very interesting that last night we were firing up my wife’s new 8+ and we transferred all her info from the other phone and within 20 minutes the phone froze and started rebooting. Exactly like her old one.

So I concluded that it wasn’t the phone but something she picked up along the way. We started fresh and reset the new phone as a new device and spent the next few hours adding back her apps and so forth and the problem seems to have gone away.

I think starting from fresh is a great way to make sure you actually have a brand new phone and not just the old problems in new hardware
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-11-2017 05:21 AM
    I'm thinking about doing it just to clear stuff out. Been running new phones from backups since I started with a 6s+ so now I'm on phone 3. Just not looking forward to reinstalling all the apps and entering passwords. If I do it fresh will safari copy over bookmarks still from iCloud? I downloaded the iCloud app to my PC a while back in order to get my chrome bookmarks into Safari on my phone.
    11-12-2017 04:32 AM
    I'm thinking about doing it just to clear stuff out. Been running new phones from backups since I started with a 6s+ so now I'm on phone 3. Just not looking forward to reinstalling all the apps and entering passwords. If I do it fresh will safari copy over bookmarks still from iCloud? I downloaded the iCloud app to my PC a while back in order to get my chrome bookmarks into Safari on my phone.
    They should transfer over when you sign back in after restoring. If you use iCloud Keychain you'll still have to re-sign in to most apps, but it's easy to look up the passwords if you use different passwords for different apps. Also all your Safari sign-ins will be saved so you won't have to re-sign in online.
    11-12-2017 05:07 AM
    Actually I can’t see a good reason to start from scratch. When you restore a backup, even with iTunes, apps are reloaded from the store, so there’s no way you can restore a corrupted app from an old backup. The only thing can actually be corrupted is some settings or email , so if they are working in the old phone you are going to be fine on the new one
    11-12-2017 06:50 AM
    I started both my 8 Plus and X from backups. That’s something I’d never done before as I just felt it best to start a new device as a new device.

At one time, I’d also factory reset and start a device with a major software update as a new device as well.
    11-12-2017 07:09 AM
    I thought about doing a clean install. Downloading apps, arranging them, signing in, mail configs and even Airdropping my pics isn’t that big of a deal but the ONE thing stopping me from a clean install is transferring my contacts, whether that be by manually inputting or Airdropping them. That would take forever and not a task I wanna do. 567 contacts would drive me crazy
    11-12-2017 09:02 AM
    I thought about doing a clean install. Downloading apps, arranging them, signing in, mail configs and even Airdropping my pics isn’t that big of a deal but the ONE thing stopping me from a clean install is transferring my contacts, whether that be by manually inputting or Airdropping them. That would take forever and not a task I wanna do. 567 contacts would drive me crazy
    Your contacts should come over from iCloud after signing in with your Apple ID.
    11-12-2017 09:08 AM
    Your contacts should come over from iCloud after signing in with your Apple ID.
    Would that be considered a clean install? Clean install in my definition is starting from scratch and doing it all over. Not restoring any info from iCloud or a backup.
    11-12-2017 09:11 AM
    Unless you’re worrying about saved game data, it’s really not all that bad. Sure, it can be time consuming, but the benefits of it are worth it to ‘me’.....
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-12-2017 09:12 AM
    Would that be considered a clean install? Clean install in my definition is starting from scratch and doing it all over. Not restoring any info from iCloud or a backup.
    Even if you bring in contacts from iCloud it’s still a clean install.
    11-12-2017 09:12 AM
    Even if you bring in contacts from iCloud it’s still a clean install.
    Interesting, I guess need to re-evaluate my definition of a clean install. Either way it’s too late. Restored my X from a backup and haven’t ran into any issues. Maybe I’ll do a clean install for XS lol
    11-12-2017 09:14 AM
    Yes, it is because a clean install includes the installing of iOS and your apps. “Synced” data like contacts, calendar events, reminders, photos, etcetera doesn’t count.
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-12-2017 09:15 AM
    Yes, it is because a clean install includes the installing of iOS and your apps. “Synced” data like contacts, calendar events, reminders, photos, etcetera doesn’t count.
    Definition re-evaluated. Thanks, never thought about synced data separate from app data
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-12-2017 09:17 AM
    When they finally get iMessages in iCloud working I'll set it up as new a lot more often.
    Just_Me_D and mumfoau like this.
    11-12-2017 09:18 AM
    Just to clarify, if I set up as new but sign in to iCloud will my messages be there or would I lose them?
    03-22-2018 07:27 PM
53 123