Start Clean or Restore from Backup?

ndstreet

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
I've never actually started clean with a new iPhone preferring instead to restore from a back up I make just before transitioning to a new phone. If I understand correctly, some people say restoring from backup ends up pulling over some garbage from your old phone that may be sitting in unknown files. Not sure what that means, but I do sometimes see a large amount of storage consumed by odd categories (data and documents maybe?). I guess they may be there from the past 4 iphones I've had where I just restore from backup each year.

Seems like a major pain to go back through and figure out all the apps I want again if I start clean, then reposition them where I like them, then reconfigure log ins, email accounts, etc.

Which way are others going on this? Restore from backup or start with a clean slate?

For those going with a clean slate, can you help me understand what advantages you have seen going this route in the past to justify the time and effort involved - granted its not huge and there may be some advantage to pairing down some unnecessary apps, but I assume transferring photos over for instance and possibly messages would be complicated...

Thanks - 48 hours....can't wait.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

I have done it both ways. I have used backups for a new phone when I'm confident that I don't have anything to clean up after. I tend to go from new now as it allows me to remove things I don't use or need anymore. I find it worth the effort to go new. it's a one time thing that takes a little time in the big picture.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I haven't done a clean install since the iPhone 6 Plus and that was in the middle of my term with it. I still restored a backup from my 5S. Until I get something really bad that can only be fixed with a clean install, it's iTunes Encrypted backups for me all the way. No way I'm going to sit for 2 hours solely to get everything back to the way I had it.

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I haven't done a clean install since the iPhone 6 Plus and that was in the middle of my term with it. I still restored a backup from my 5S. Until I get something really bad that can only be fixed with a clean install, it's iTunes Encrypted backups for me all the way. No way I'm going to sit for 2 hours solely to get everything back to the way I had it.

This is exactly where I am. Call me crazy, but I like my new phone to be a carbon copy of my old phone. Restoring from a full iTunes backup accomplishes that. All my messages, pics, videos, apps, everything right where I left it, even down to the folders.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Does a clean install using your Apple ID automatically download apps and restore things stored on iCloud, such as texts? I would like to do a clean install (going from the 6 Plus to the X), but I don't want to manually install all apps, move over my texts, and rearrange my home screen.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This is exactly where I am. Call me crazy, but I like my new phone to be a carbon copy of my old phone. Restoring from a full iTunes backup accomplishes that. All my messages, pics, videos, apps, everything right where I left it, even down to the folders.

Even most logins and passwords are restored as well.

ndstreet

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
Does a clean install using your Apple ID automatically download apps and restore things stored on iCloud, such as texts? I would like to do a clean install (going from the 6 Plus to the X), but I don't want to manually install all apps, move over my texts, and rearrange my home screen.

A clean install means manually selecting which apps to download again, manually reconfiguring your messages/texts, home screen arrangements, etc. Its basicly starting from scratch with a new phone. Using your Apple ID just means you have access to all your purchased items so you can download them now.

To get back your phone to where it sounds like you want to be, you would be doing a restore from your icloud backup rather than a clean install.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
A clean install means manually selecting which apps to download again, manually reconfiguring your messages/texts, home screen arrangements, etc. Its basicly starting from scratch with a new phone. Using your Apple ID just means you have access to all your purchased items so you can download them now.

To get back your phone to where it sounds like you want to be, you would be doing a restore from your icloud backup rather than a clean install.

And what’s the difference between an iCloud restore and an iTunes restore?

ndstreet

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
And what’s the difference between an iCloud restore and an iTunes restore?

I've been using iTunes to restore from backup because I always assumed my backup of a 64gb iphone with about 20gb of photos wouldn't fit into a 5gb iCloud storage limit when creating the backup. Plus it always seemed faster to restore from a wired connection to a PC than over WiFi to iCloud. Backup to iCloud always seems to take forever and results in annoying messages pushing me to by more storage.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to go with a secure iTunes backup to start and if there's any problems I'll wipe and go clean. I did this for my 6s+ to 7+ and it worked great except some Google apps don't play nice and have to be removed/reinstalled so they can be set up fresh. I tried restoring a 7+ backup to my new iPad 5th gen when I got it a few months ago and even that worked mostly except for non-compatible apps and it wouldn't restore folders or homescreen layouts. It did install though.

I definitely will be restoring my 7+ backup to the X. Actually, I might try out the new iOS11 setup feature first to see how that works. I just remembered it. The one where you put them next to each other or whatever and it's supposed to move your settings/etc. After years of doing root/ROM installs on Android where it was recommended to wipe and clean install I'm definitely done with clean installs unless I need to lol.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been using iTunes to restore from backup because I always assumed my backup of a 64gb iphone with about 20gb of photos wouldn't fit into a 5gb iCloud storage limit when creating the backup. Plus it always seemed faster to restore from a wired connection to a PC than over WiFi to iCloud. Backup to iCloud always seems to take forever and results in annoying messages pushing me to by more storage.

I’m not sure my app statuses are backed up to iTunes. I run an iTunes backup every morning.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

I do let iCloud do a backup, but I have the photos etc turned off. Like you I have only 5GB, though I do have 19GB with Google due to using Android for years. iTunes gets me local backup/restore of pics etc. and then Google Photos gets me cloud backups.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I do let iCloud do a backup, but I have the photos etc turned off. Like you I have only 5GB, though I do have 19GB with Google due to using Android for years. iTunes gets me local backup/restore of pics etc. and then Google Photos gets me cloud backups.

Well I upped it to 50gb a couple years ago just because. But yeah, it backs up everything except photos because I use OneDrive.

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
The big advantage of an encrypted backup to iTunes is that the majority of your logins and passwords are saved with the backup. Then when you restore your phone from that backup those logins and passwords are saved and don’t have to be re-entered. Since iCloud backups are not encrypted the logins and passwords are not backed up.

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My dad is getting the iPhone X and upgrading from an iPhone 6 Plus. I was thinking of starting fresh for his phone, only restoring iCloud contacts, mail, etc. He would like to restore from a backup so all his apps, data, messages, etc are already there, but I'm worried that there may be bugs or cause the iPhone X to be glitchy. Advice?

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I always restore from backup because I have too many settings to re-do if set up as new. Haven’t had any major issues, and if something does get glitchy or corrupted, I could always set up as new at that time.

I noticed that iTunes now only saves the most recent backup to your computer. Used to be able to select which backup you want to use to restore. Now there is just one available. Oh well.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I almost always set up as new because I have apps, photos, and other stuff I don't necessarily need transferred over. I'm probably gonna do a restore from backup tomorrow though. I got an 8 on launch day, so I've only had it about a month. It's not full of random free apps of the day, or other apps I just randomly downloaded. I'll back up to iCloud tonight, and IF I can find my USB to USB C adapter I'll do an encrypted iTunes backup to my MBP. That's a big if though. I bought it when I got my MBP last year, and never needed to take it out of the box. No telling where it is.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I wish Apple allowed a more selective restore option similar to Samsung Smart Switch. I don't really want to restore EVERYTHING. I'd rather just bring over contacts and text messages. I'll probably start from scratch though. My 7 Plus has been pretty buggy lately and I'd rather not risk anything troublesome coming over with the restore.