Is anyone starting to feel underwhelmed by the iPhone X?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Well there is code for a 6.5” iPhone. So maybe next year we’ll see a Plus size OLED.
Now that would be a more appealing size. It would also make sense in that the iPhone X is really the new small iPhone, and the phablet version is coming next year, with the legacy design being completely retired at that point.

To me the iPhone X is just more like the original Watch. Beta.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
My interest has waned for the device as well. I already have an iPhone 8 Plus which basically has most of the same specs as the X. Also, The Verge's Nilay Patel said FaceID didn't work outside in sunlight and that's a concern for me as I work outside.

I'll get an X, but I'll wait until they're widely available. I'm definitely not going to stand in line at an Apple Store or a carrier store to get one.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The new screen ratio was such a turn off that I got the 8+ a few weeks ago. While I can afford an X, do I really want to pay that price ? Unfortunately it looks like people are encouraging a new pricing model.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The new screen ratio was such a turn off that I got the 8+ a few weeks ago. While I can afford an X, do I really want to pay that price ? Unfortunately it looks like people are encouraging a new pricing model.

I know what you mean.
I prefer the wider screen of the Plus.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I am feeling better and better about my decision to go with the 8+. The phone is amazing and I love it in a 1000 different ways. The X just doesn’t do it for me and after all I am reading about it, I am glad that I did not jump in.

The face ID scares me the most. I just see big problems with it down the road. But who knows? I have never held it and once I do, I may fall in love all over again. It wouldn’t be the first time! LOL

I have one on pre-order for a friend and he is just insanely excited about it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I am feeling better and better about my decision to go with the 8+. The phone is amazing and I love it in a 1000 different ways. The X just doesn’t do it for me and after all I am reading about it, I am glad that I did not jump in.

The face ID scares me the most. I just see big problems with it down the road. But who knows? I have never held it and once I do, I may fall in love all over again. It wouldn’t be the first time! LOL

I have one on pre-order for a friend and he is just insanely excited about it.

Face ID works really well!
It’s effortless.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't excited about the X from the time it was announced and the "reviews" have probably made me even less interested. Especially those that have been over the top with glowing praise. I have the 8 Plus right now. I think the 8 Plus is a great phone and the pinnacle of the first 10 years of the iPhone design. It has been refined in every way and is just a really great phone. The iPhone X is like a beta version for the next 10 years or whatever length of time. I hope every one that gets it will love it and enjoy using it. I really do. I just don't see it right now. I think the Apple marketing and hype machine is doing an amazing job and the "reviewers" are doing their part to feed it. I mean no offense and this is, of course, just my opinion. Maybe the X really is the greatest product Apple has ever made and I am just blind to it.

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I have been told the iPhoneX is a one off design and they will be going back to the other models in future. Wonder if that is true or not?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Not me. I’ve been wanting the features of a Plus device in a smaller form factor. If they didn’t come out with the X this year, I was going to go to the “regular” 8. The size and OLED screen alone were a done deal for me.

I agree with this, but I think that the X is a step back in actual usability over the Plus. I think that's the biggest issue the OP is having, and I agree. I played with a display model this morning... I was not liking it, at all. It's still, basically, a two handed phone if you use Control Center often.

As someone who uses smartphones left handed, the control center gesture is about as ergonomic as the fingerprint sensor placement on a Galaxy Note 8.

The Reachability gesture is absolutely awful. The multi-tasking gesture is awful. Closing down backgrounded apps is awful (no one gives a $#!^ if we "have to do it," some of us don't want every app we use only 2-3x a day cluttering up that view, making it harder to find the apps we want at other times during the day). It's like you're walking a tight rope trying to activate half of these gestures, and with the screen/device being as compact as it is... well, not really good "feel," IMO.

I find it extremely unattractive that the drop-down shades for Notification Center and Control Center are distinctly different, as well... It seems like an odd choice to make.

I think the device looks good (though I despise PenTile screens, and can totally tell it's PenTile before any of the reviews "confirmed it" to me), and the speakers are somewhat better than the 7 Plus. The Camera isn't a huge improvement over the other phones - I've never used the Telephoto on my 7 Plus... ever (so that's a useless/wasted feature for me). FFCs on iPhones have been bad for quite a while, and this one is really no different.

The best "feature" this phone has is the form factor. It's roughly like an iPhone 8 Plus in the body of an iPhone 8, without having to deal with the laughably low res screen on the 8.

Touch ID is a superior biometric than Face ID. If that matters to you, then you're probably better off with a 7 or 8 device.

I kinda want it, for the size - provided the battery life really is 2 hours longer than an 8 (Manufacturers tend to overestimate, so I need battery reviews before I can believe that)... But so much of the "changes" are actually annoyances that I'm not sure that "benefit" is worth degrading the overall user experience.

If anything, it has made the iPhone 8 Plus look like a much better device to me. Too bad they raised the price on that one, too.

90% chance I stay on my 7 Plus.

I checked 4 Verizon stores around me. All of them still have iPhone X in 64 and 256GB SKU in stock. So, they don't seem to be selling so fast that anyone really has to rush to "impulse buy" on release day.

I actually think that iPhone 8 sales are going to increase now, as more people try the iPhone X out and see it as not being worth the luxury price, and instead settle for the 8 or 8 Plus (or even the iPhone 7 devices, since "previous year" iPhones are no longer limited only to 16GB (or base) storage).

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have been told the iPhoneX is a one off design and they will be going back to the other models in future. Wonder if that is true or not?

I think that's false. The had pretty much the same design for the 6/6s/7/8 series and with all the money they put into FaceID unless that totally fails my impression is that is their vision of the future for the phone. I think if they bail and go back to touchID we might see something like a backside sensor like a lot of the Android phones do. I think they wanted to do a phone with less bezel and they won't want to go back from that. Again this is all just my opinion though.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The notch and the 19.5:9 ratio will make the screen a tiny bit smaller while watching videos. I’ve experienced this on Android phones lately. If the iPhone X had a 6” screen, then it would have the same size viewing area as the 8+ while watching videos. This is assuming you don’t use the zoomed view while watching videos on the X.

Which crops into the video, so it's a compromise no matter how you use it.

And I'm not referring to the notch cutting into the video. The screen does not match the aspect ratio of the media itself, which is more often than not 16:9 for video... This means that you have to crop into the picture in order for it to fill the screen - unless you're fine with the aspect ratio being distorted (similar to how stretched 4:3 images look on a 16:9 screen - awful).

EDIT: Also, given I still have paid apps in active development that haven't been upgraded for the iPhone 6 screens... I'm not very confident about how well developers will move to the X screen. It's higher PPI than the iPhone 6 Plus, and a different aspect ratio... So, those apps are going to look noticeably worse on this screen if they aren't updated.

My banking app hasn't been updated for the iPhone 6 (and uses Touch ID - I'll probably lose biometric authentication if I move to the X). One app that has a $10/mo. subscription hasn't been updated for the 6 - and it's a media/video-type app. Will look absolutely atrocious on this screen without an update - it's already borderline on the iPhone 7 Plus' screen. A number of other [paid] apps I have haven't been updated.

Many of these apps retail in the App Store for $5+ - half of them for $9.99+ and some have rather expensive subscriptions attached to them. Clearly, developers do not care that much, a long as they're bringing in the cash.

The screen looks decent, but it's not going to really give that impression during use, if 1/3rd of your apps still haven't been updated for the iPhone 6 Plus, never mind the iPhone X.

Apple needs to do something about this, at the system level, to allow apps to scale properly at different DPIs and screen sizes. Android does not have this problem, and neither did Windows Phone/Mobile.

Using many apps on this phone is going to feel like playing Diablo II on a QHD display.

Last edited:

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I think that's false. The had pretty much the same design for the 6/6s/7/8 series and with all the money they put into FaceID unless that totally fails my impression is that is their vision of the future for the phone. I think if they bail and go back to touchID we might see something like a backside sensor like a lot of the Android phones do. I think they wanted to do a phone with less bezel and they won't want to go back from that. Again this is all just my opinion though.

Less bezel is the way things seem to be going. Its going to be huge adjustment for people to lose home button.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Apple did a great job with the X but not as good as they could of done. The size could be bigger and the screen is no where near what the Samsung 8 series of devices have. I just was not wowed by the X so far.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Why does everyone every single damn time refer to a product that they don't like as a "beta"? I'm FAIRLY certain this is not the first iteration of the iPhone X.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW