Is anyone starting to feel underwhelmed by the iPhone X?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I have pre-ordered two 64GB silver variants. The more I am watching the previews/reviews of actual devices (like Rene's), the more I am feeling that this phone is just not worth buying because if distinctly looks, feels, and behaves as a beta.

I have noticed all sorts of odd inconsistencies, from the major lack of proper app support (I know, out of Apple's hands), black bars to mask the "notch", UI/UX inconsistencies (like, why is the control center only pulled down from the right "horn", and the other 3/4 of the top are for notification center - lack of symmetry bugs me and is so distinctly not like Apple), bezels are much thicker in person than they appear on the promotional material, and the gestures (part I was most excited about) feel distinctly unfinished. (Take note of challenges reaching the top of the phone to execute certain actions, especially when there is no bezel present...it's hand gymnastics and ripe for dropping the phone, guaranteed.)

Next, the screen is actually smaller than that of the iPhone Plus series. It is 5.85" diagonal measured on a rectangular screen. When you take away the screen space lost to rounded corners, and then you account for the fact that the section of the screen where the notch lives is really not usable, you definitely have a screen smaller than 5.5" diagonal on a 2:1 aspect ratio, so it is both diagonally smaller and narrower. Finally, there is the Face ID. You can see that the reviewers are reaching when trying to claim that Face ID is better than Touch ID. At least none of them could argue that the fact that you have to give your phone "attention" (like it doesn't get enough of it anyway :tongue:) is a pain in the rear end.

Overall, my excitement is waning rapidly. This phone feels so un-Apple it makes me queasy. What are everyone else's thoughts?

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Not me. I’ve been wanting the features of a Plus device in a smaller form factor. If they didn’t come out with the X this year, I was going to go to the “regular” 8. The size and OLED screen alone were a done deal for me.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I was conflicted about the X from the beginning. I really, really like touch ID and I'm so used to the home button the X will definitely take some getting used to. There have been articles on the shape of the screen and the actual viewing experience before the recent YouTube reviews They said despite being larger, most of the time it would seem somewhere in between the 8 and 8+. One said it wasn't worth the upgrade if you are doing it because of screen size alone.

There was also talk of the app developers and them not being ready for the new screen size and especially the horns. By now this should be expected though. Same thing happened when the 6 was shipped. It will get better.

The reviews I've seen so far give me some hope that it won't be as bad as I imagined it. iJustine's review is hilarious. She loves the phone so much she was crying.

I tried the plus but it was just too big. This phone looks just right. Now I can't wait to get my hands on it :)

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I think they will have issues with the OS on the device and the way you navigate around the device. I ordered one and I guess it's only 45 dollars to try it for a few days if I don't like it.

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The early reviews/hands-on vids have had the opposite effect on me. And since all of the ones I’ve seen have featured silver, I’m no longer disappointed that I couldn’t get a space gray for launch day since the silver 256gb was the only one still showing 11/3 availability when I ordered. Now Friday can’t get here soon enough. I’m very excited.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's hard for me to feel underwhelmed by a device I haven't had an opportunity to personally experience yet. Reviews have been positive and the hype is definitely there. I've stayed away from any of the YouTube stuff though.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Definitely the opposite for me as well. I haven't been this excited for a smartphone in like 5 years! Yes there's a few quirks but no worse than many other phones out there (weird fingerprint reader placements, etc.). The apps will be fixed once devs start getting the phones in hand. I've already seen a ton of app updates this week on my 7+ specifically mentioning iPhone X support.

The notification center/control center thing seemed a bit weird at first then I realized this is the same thing Google did on my 2013 Nexus 7 tablet with one of the OS versions where swiping on one side was notifications and the other side was the settings/etc and that was really quick to adjust to. Also I think the percentage of the split is appropriate. How often do you access control center vs. your notifications?

COMMISSIONERHBK9

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I don’t like going by reviews because you and the reviewer can like different things. I can’t wait to get it on fri. I wish my mom phone was coming on fri she has to wait till the 21th

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not at all, and it will only improve over time. Remember this is a new thing for apple, they will continue to refine it through updates. I got one mainly for the larger screen and dual cameras in a smaller (and much more manageable) size.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, due to the notch.

The notch and the 19.5:9 ratio will make the screen a tiny bit smaller while watching videos. I’ve experienced this on Android phones lately. If the iPhone X had a 6” screen, then it would have the same size viewing area as the 8+ while watching videos. This is assuming you don’t use the zoomed view while watching videos on the X.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The notch and the 19.5:9 ratio will make the screen a tiny bit smaller while watching videos. I’ve experienced this on Android phones lately. If the iPhone X had a 6” screen, then it would have the same size viewing area as the 8+ while watching videos. This is assuming you don’t use the zoomed view while watching videos on the X.

Well there is code for a 6.5” iPhone. So maybe next year we’ll see a Plus size OLED.