iMore's iPhone X Review

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Much excite! Rene just published the iMore iPhone X Review. If you haven't checked it out, do it now!!

In true Rene style, it's a LONG review, but totally worth it. So grab a coffee, sit down and take it all in. Let us know what you think of the review right here in this thread. You agree with Rene on most points? Or disagree?

Read now: iPhone X Review

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
We mere mortals won't get ours until Friday so I can't agree or disagree yet, but I do appreciate Rene's writing style. Even when I do disagree with him.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
He made a comment on Twitter about how Face ID makes Touch ID "feel like a chore" after 24 hours with an iPhone X. I understand his bias towards anything Apple, but he's really getting in balls-deep with Apple now. If someone was on the fence about making a purchase I don't know if I would direct them to a Rene Ritchie review like I would have in the past. It's getting ridiculous.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
He's not allowed to post his opinion? If he didn't feel that Face ID was better than Touch ID, wouldn't he have said that?

He made a comment on Twitter about how Face ID makes Touch ID "feel like a chore" after 24 hours with an iPhone X. I understand his bias towards anything Apple, but he's really getting in balls-deep with Apple now. If someone was on the fence about making a purchase I don't know if I would direct them to a Rene Ritchie review like I would have in the past. It's getting ridiculous.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
His opinion is valid, everyone else can form their own opinions on it after they’ve used it.
I noticed you didn't quote my saying his opinion was invalid. Probably because I didn't say that. I specifically find his "Touch ID feels like a chore" comment to be quite stupid.

I expect it to work quite fast, at least as fast as TouchID.
That's great. But that's far from what I'm talking about.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps you're being over negative. This is, after all, an Apple focused and driven web site. It is Apple biased by it's stated existence. Anyone looking for totally unbiased reviews should be looking at unbiased sources.

I've been around this site since 2008, Mark. It was much more fair and bias wasn't as blatant as it is now. Thank you for agreeing with me.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I noticed you didn't quote my saying his opinion was invalid. Probably because I didn't say that. I specifically find his "Touch ID feels like a chore" comment to be quite stupid.

That's great. But that's far from what I'm talking about.

I get what you’re saying. You’ve just missed my part about how he’s actually used FaceID. In his experience so far FaceID is better than TouchID. It works seamlessly enough for him that TouchID seems like an unnecessary way of doing security, more movement is required for the same function.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I've been around this site since 2008, Mark. It was much more fair and bias wasn't as blatant as it is now. Thank you for agreeing with me.

I don't agree with you. I simply understand the source and base my opinions accordingly. He's used both technologies, and he rendered an opinion on it. If you find his product reviews unrealistically positive, save yourself the stress and don't click the link to the review.

When you get your X and you've had a chance to use the Face ID feature, please come back and tell us your opinion on it compared to Touch ID.

I wouldn't assume how long anyone has been around this site simply by the date they registered on this forum.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't agree with you.

Are you sure? It sounds like you do.

This is, after all, an Apple focused and driven web site. It is Apple biased by it's stated existence.

I wouldn't assume how long anyone has been around this site simply by the date they registered on this forum.

Okay?

When you get your X and you've had a chance to use the Face ID feature, please come back and tell us your opinion on it compared to Touch ID.

I'm sure it'll work great. I just wouldn't blow Apple over it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I found Rene’s review to be simply his own opinion based on his experience with the iPhone X “for the better part of one day”. He also stated that “there are shortcomings” and there are things he’d “love to see changed”. As he spends more time using the iPhone X, he stated that he’ll “update this review throughout the next week and month.”. I think it’ll be interesting to see what will change from his initial review later on.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I get what you’re saying. You’ve just missed my part about how he’s actually used FaceID. In his experience so far FaceID is better than TouchID. It works seamlessly enough for him that TouchID seems like an unnecessary way of doing security, more movement is required for the same function.

Again, I'm not arguing that at all. I'm sure Face ID is really, really good. I just think talking about Touch ID as being some second-class citizen from one day to the next is ridiculous especially after 20 hours with an iPhone X. He sounds more like a salesman than a reviewer when he makes comments like that. Therefore, I find his bias even more blatant.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Again, I'm not arguing that at all. I'm sure Face ID is really, really good. I just think talking about Touch ID as being some second-class citizen from one day to the next is ridiculous especially after 20 hours with an iPhone X. He sounds more like a salesman than a reviewer when he makes comments like that. Therefore, I find his bias even more blatant.

I see where you're coming from, and what Rene said absolutely sounds salesy. He definitely could have chosen his words better. I'm sure he was just trying to emphasize how awesome Face ID is more so than how bad Touch ID is. Everyone knows that Touch ID is pretty great.
Hopefully my personal experience lives up to how positive Renee's review is. I'll know in just a few days now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711