TBD: Face ID is NOT as secure as TouchID!

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It was foiled with identical twins.
Identical twins do NOT have the same fingerprints!

Big fail right there in that 1 in 1,000,000.

For most uses, it will do, right?

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Face ID is NOT as secure as TouchID!

"The chance that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone X and unlock it with their face is about one in one million. Of course, the statistics are lowered if that person shares a close genetic relationship with you. So, for example, if you happen to have an evil twin, you really need to protect your sensitive data with a passcode."

Everything else, I would not be concerned.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

It was foiled with identical twins.
Identical twins do NOT have the same fingerprints!

Big fail right there in that 1 in 1,000,000.

For most uses, it will do, right?

Wouldn't an identical twin be that one in a million case? Besides, how many of us have identical twins running around? FWIW I saw on one of the first look reviews that they tried with identical twins and it didn't fool FaceID. Of course I can't remember which one now.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Wouldn't an identical twin be that one in a million case? Besides, how many of us have identical twins running around? FWIW I saw on one of the first look reviews that they tried with identical twins and it didn't fool FaceID. Of course I can't remember which one now.

This was covered in the Keynote. While identical twins should in theory be able to fool FaceID, it doesn’t though.

Of course there is a higher probability of fooling, but you’ll know that soon enough with the initial setup.

I can’t imagine when you’re on speaking terms with your identical twin you won’t test it out.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I just want to say that 1 in 1,000,000 is more secure than 1 in 50,000. It never claimed to be 1 in 8,000,000,000, or more or less 100% secure. There is still room for error. However TouchID is easier to fool than FaceID. Once Apple figures out TouchID under the screen and we can use TouchID and FaceID together that will greatly increase the security value.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

This was covered in the Keynote. While identical twins should in theory be able to fool FaceID, it doesn’t though.

Yes it does. There is a video released by CNNMoney showing this very thing happening. I assume that's the video the OP is referencing.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

Turns out Face ID is in fact more secure than Touch ID. If you are a twin and are concerned that your twin will misuse your biological similarities to invade your electronics, you may have bigger problems than your choice of phone

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I just want to say that 1 in 1,000,000 is more secure than 1 in 50,000. It never claimed to be 1 in 8,000,000,000, or more or less 100% secure. There is still room for error. However TouchID is easier to fool than FaceID. Once Apple figures out TouchID under the screen and we can use TouchID and FaceID together that will greatly increase the security value.

I've seen people say this since Apple mentioned the security of FaceID at the keynote. Prior to their keynote I didn't hear anyone questioning the security of TouchID. Especially considering the world was using TouchID to authenticate purchases at stores across the world. In what ways could TouchID be fooled? I'm honestly not aware of the ways. Though, considering how easy a set of twins tricked FaceID, I can imagine a pretty skilled makeup artist may be able to get past it.

I'm personally not worried about the security of FaceID. But I do wonder where we decided TouchID wasn't secure.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I've seen people say this since Apple mentioned the security of FaceID at the keynote. Prior to their keynote I didn't hear anyone questioning the security of TouchID. Especially considering the world was using TouchID to authenticate purchases at stores across the world. In what ways could TouchID be fooled? I'm honestly not aware of the ways. Though, considering how easy a set of twins tricked FaceID, I can imagine a pretty skilled makeup artist may be able to get past it.

I'm personally not worried about the security of FaceID. But I do wonder where we decided TouchID wasn't secure.

I don’t think isn’t secure, it’s just that FaceID is more secure than TouchID, and together they would be even more secure. I hope Apple lets us use a passcode with FaceID and TouchID when they figure it out.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

I think it will be deemed secure enough by all except the staunchest members of the tin foil hat club. It would be a waste for them anyway. You can’t use faceid if you are constantly looking over your shoulder...

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

This is the price of convenience. However, one should NEVER be misled by something touting security which it isn't. If an identical twin can unlock your device which obviously means YOUR face didn't, it's a failing score plain and simple.

Any organization that's using security prohbits the use of these methods anyhow. A secure PASSWORD is always required. And if an admin is allowing their MDM policy to allow it their credibility (and job!) is in serious jeopardy.

EDIT::

After reading into this more it appears that there is a setting to reduce sensitivity making unlocks quicker but at a cost of reduced security (i.e. falses).

Since the video (Rachel Crane courtesy of CNN) did NOT disclose this information it's possible this demonstration could have been skewed by a non default setting.

Another test with identical twins revealed the twin whose face was not scanned was NOT able to unlock the device.

Last edited:

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

I don’t think isn’t secure, it’s just that FaceID is more secure than TouchID, and together they would be even more secure. I hope Apple lets us use a passcode with FaceID and TouchID when they figure it out.

I really don't think they should try to stuff a fingerprint scanner under the screen. IMO they should keep moving forward with FaceID and maybe add in iris scanning or something like that (think I read somewhere that exists and is similar to retina scanning?). Part of my reasoning is that while TouchID works, I've had enough issues with it that I hope FaceID works much better and would prefer not to ever use TouchID again (though I'm stuck with it for a while on my new iPad).

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I really don't think they should try to stuff a fingerprint scanner under the screen. IMO they should keep moving forward with FaceID and maybe add in iris scanning or something like that (think I read somewhere that exists and is similar to retina scanning?). Part of my reasoning is that while TouchID works, I've had enough issues with it that I hope FaceID works much better and would prefer not to ever use TouchID again (though I'm stuck with it for a while on my new iPad).

Well FaceID needs your eyes open to work so I assume it has some form of retina scanning.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

Well FaceID needs your eyes open to work so I assume it has some form of retina scanning.

You can turn that off though. My understanding is it just knows the difference between open and closed eyes to make sure you're looking at the phone and actually want it unlocked. You can shut it off in accessibility though.

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a twin?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711