How can you sell your iPhone X without opening it?? (Question about activation.)

tomsfiles

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
I ordered two iPhone Xs - one which I will pick up on launch day - and one that's a few weeks out for my second line.

The prices of the phones on eBay and Craigslist are making me consider selling the launch day unit for a profit and putting that money toward the one that comes later (and ordering a 3rd for that line later.)

BUT.. my order says "Your new iPhone will be activated on your existing AT&T service plan. "

I assume this means when it is powered up it will go to activate the phone and the SIM as inside will get activated with my new phone, and the SIM in my current phone will no longer work.

So is there a way around this? Or will I have to let the buyer (if I decide to sell) know that I will have to open the phone to activate it, and then remove the SIM and place it in my existing phone?

Thanks for any help in advance.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I would open it up to remove the sim and then send it. They can activate it with a valid sim of their own.

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I’m considering this too since my AT&T phones should be here on the 3rd. I would rather use the Apple Upgrade Program since it includes Apple Care but those have a 17th-24th ship date.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine to use for my daily driver, though I might be tempted to make a profit if someone really wanted it, but I think I will just hang on to it.

I am excited about this new model and I like the gesture concept considering I loved Blackberry OS10. Should be interesting and I can’t wait till it gets here this Thursday or Friday.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I should have both an ATT and Sprint model on launch day. If I can get my sprint one unlocked quickly, I will look at selling my other one for a profit.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You will have to open it to remove the SIM. Most of those “bought for resale” phones are the full price no carrier devices.

tomsfiles

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
>You will have to open it to remove the SIM. Most of those “bought for resale” phones are the full price no carrier devices.

I did pay full price lump sum but I had to choose a carrier.

I'll ask them at the store too - but I do think I'll have to remove the SIM - and maybe even call the carrier and ask them to not automatically switch the number when the power is turned on.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Yea, if I pay full price from Verizon will I be able to sell the phone without any problems or will it be tied to my account?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods