Kinda torn on whether or not to get a tempered glass screen protector on my iPhone X when it arrives.

My current iPhone 7+ is my 1st iPhone after having nothing but androids since the beginning.

I don’t have a screen protector on the 7+, the screen does seem to be a lot more durable than my past androids.

Are there and cons to putting a glass screen protector on?

Loss of function, sensitivity, clarity?
    10-29-2017 09:25 AM
    Not that I’m aware of, but then again, I do use a screen protector or even a case. With that in mind, if it makes you feel better to put a screen protector on your new iPhone X when it arrives, go ahead and do it. You’re only protecting your investment, in my opinion.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    10-29-2017 10:01 AM
    Nope! not a fan of screen protector. Used to be but I stopped using since I got my iPhone 4. Dropped my phone several times and my case is sufficient enough to protect my phone and I’m only using a thin case. Never had a scratch or crack. It also annoys me if a dirt gets inside the screen protector. I hope I didn’t jinx myself! LOL! If it makes you feel better, do it.
    10-29-2017 10:15 AM
    Kinda torn on whether or not to get a tempered glass screen protector on my iPhone X when it arrives.

My current iPhone 7+ is my 1st iPhone after having nothing but androids since the beginning.

I don’t have a screen protector on the 7+, the screen does seem to be a lot more durable than my past androids.

I've never had any performance issues related to screen protectors, but they can be a chore to keep clean around the edges. That's where they tend to collect dust, pet dander, finger gunk etc. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I was always cleaning, which caused the protector to eventually lift a little, which allowed more gunk under - vicious cycle yada yada

After a few go rounds with them I switched to wallet flip cases. Offers some screen minor protection and easier to clean. YMMV
    rsidhaarth likes this.
    10-29-2017 10:19 AM
    I was thinking about putting one on.
    I keep my iPhone in a pocket by itself with no key,coins,etc and somehow I still got a scratch.

It only noticeable when the screen is off but still annoying to me.
    10-29-2017 10:23 AM

I keep a normal plastic screen protector on my 7, but even a small scratch on the protection causes annoying rainbow colors to appear on the screen when turned on. Think about it, if you tend to drop your phone a lot, think about getting a glass protector. Most glass screen protectors do not cause any issues with screen interaction.
    10-29-2017 10:31 AM
    Use screen protectors and cases on all of my devices saves in the long run. Never broke a screen on any device the screen protector has broken but not the device.
    Premium1 and kimmh72 like this.
    10-29-2017 11:15 AM
    Running a glass screen protector / otterbox defender combo at launch. I’m going to be extremely careful with the damn thing at first because of the price point haha.

I have a glass screen protector on my 7 Plus right now and it’s filled with cracks and scratches. I’ve had some pretty bad drops on concrete and I’m positive the phone’s screen would of cracked if I didn’t have the glass protector on it.
    10-29-2017 11:20 AM
    I have used one on my 7 and picked one up from amazon for my X. Always have used a screen protector, just recently switched to the glass screen protectors and enjoy them.
    10-29-2017 02:22 PM
    I go back and forth on screen protectors. I never had one on my 7 Plus, don't have one on my 8, but I did put a plastic film one on my S8+. I may pick one up for my X. I'm undecided ATM.

My thing is the protector has to go completely to the edges of the glass if I use them. I hate the ones that only cover the flat part of the screen. It's a pet peeve I have to run my finger over the screen and feel where the protector ends and the screen begins.

One big plus for using one on the X is there's no home button to feel weird if I do put one on. That may be why I never keep them on my iPhones. The home button feels awful when there's a protector on.
    kimmh72 and sekelani like this.
    10-29-2017 03:06 PM
    It depends on your lifestyle really. I work in some tough environments so I always use a case and screen protector, but I don’t a glass one. I use the Rhinoshield Impact Protection screen protector for its superior protection, and it doesn’t affect anything.
    10-29-2017 03:34 PM
    I've never had any performance issues related to screen protectors, but they can be a chore to keep clean around the edges. That's where they tend to collect dust, pet dander, finger gunk etc. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I was always cleaning, which caused the protector to eventually lift a little, which allowed more gunk under - vicious cycle yada yada

After a few go rounds with them I switched to wallet flip cases. Offers some screen minor protection and easier to clean. YMMV
    I had a wallet style case when I had a Samsung galaxy note... I was Super pissed when I realized that the credit cards or my id was scratching the screen.
    10-29-2017 06:51 PM
    I would love to go naked, but scared too. Though I plan on transferring my AppleCare to the X, I still want to keep it protected. I did purchase a glass screen protector & back. I’m thinking of just going that route, maybe adding a bumper. Keeps it as close as naked. I know there are really thin cases out there too that make it feel as though your phone is barely naked. I have to admit though, I went crazy case shopping on Amazon when staying up on preorder night. Kind of regret getting all these cases now that I have my bumper & glass protectors.
    10-30-2017 05:54 AM
    Haven’t used a screen protector in 4 years, don’t intend to start now.
    johnmoore13 likes this.
    10-30-2017 06:33 AM
    I do use a screen protector on my iPhone, just in case

But I'm alway careful of all my devices !
    10-30-2017 07:02 AM
    I always use on and have had the Apple store install the last few. They do a great job. Also the screens on the X's are more expensive to replace.
    A_M_W and Annie_8plus like this.
    10-30-2017 08:54 AM
    I ordered a two pack of the ESR glass ones. I'm currently running with nothing on my 7+ because it was going into a Lifeproof Fre but I didn't like it and sent it back. So I've been running without one for a couple months now as a test for micro scratches in the coating. I've noticed a few so I'm going to definitely go back to having something. I'll eventually probably get a Rhinoshield again but it's in "pre-order" right now and the ESR glass was instantly available last Friday. I just wish the Rhino could have better fingerprint resistance like glass ones. That was the one downside to it that I really noticed. They advertise that it's resistant but it's not nearly as good as a glass one.
    10-30-2017 01:01 PM
    I always use on and have had the Apple store install the last few. They do a great job. Also the screens on the X's are more expensive to replace.
    I will say when I stopped getting screen protectors was directly correlated to when I started getting AppleCare
    10-30-2017 01:07 PM
    For a phone where the bast model is $999, it should have a tempered glass screen protector.
    10-30-2017 09:06 PM
    On the news replacing the screen is over 200 bucks. Get a screen protector and a case!
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    10-30-2017 09:11 PM
    Always a screen protector on day 1 , a few years back I did get a scratch on my screen probably from keys in pocket and it bugged me till I had to get a new device remember if you scratch it, it's permanent .
    10-31-2017 05:51 AM
    I used to put screen protectors on my earlier iPhone models, but starting with the iPhone 6 I don’t buy them anymore.

I take very good care of my devices and always buy a Apple leather OEM case for my device. So far I haven’t damaged or cracked a screen in the last few years.
    10-31-2017 08:12 AM
    Never use them. I like the feel of the phone naked. No case, no screen protector
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-31-2017 09:10 AM
    I always have a screen protector. I have this terrible habit of putting my phone in the same pocket as my keys. Recently I've been using glass protectors. I used to stick with Zagg. They were costly but the difference was noticeable. I really lied the Glass+Luxe product. The plastic around the glass did a great job of preventing cracks forming from the edges.

The older, non-glass, flexible products could definitely cause issues in screen responsiveness if they were not installed properly. I've tried several different types of glass screen protectors recently and found them all to be very responsive. I still like Zagg's products but their prices are getting out of hand and the competitive products are getting much better. Their latest, greatest product, sapphire defense is $50 and not even available for the X.

A company called Simply Carbon Fiber has a nearly indestructible screen protector (not glass though) for $30 normal price and $15 on sale. They use a phone protected by this product to hammer nails into a 2x4. It's impressive but I'm concerned about the clarity and responsiveness of the non-glass product

Anker has their KARAPAX product for the iPhone X with an alignment tool that looks really interesting and costs just $10 for a 2 pack. I'm thinking that will be my product of choice for my X
    10-31-2017 12:59 PM
    At least if you do use one, without the home button it will be contiguous. Some have the notch cut out but better ones should just cover everything. Still have to watch out for lifting on the edges. Personally, I'd rather just have it naked. I wish they did have a true Moh 8+ sapphire top. I mean what's another $100 on top of $1149? :P
    10-31-2017 05:17 PM
209 123 ...