Glass screen protector or not???

songbird

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Thanks for that. I know there are plenty on Amazon and other places, but wanted to get input here on ones people have used. A lot on Amazon are low rated or not exactly what I’m looking for. I do appreciate the help though, thank you

Oh, sorry. Mine has the cutout for the notch on it. I’ll post a pic of it tomorrow so you can get an idea how it looks.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Anker Karapax for iP x is great. Have used glass screen covers w/ mixed results until Anker.

Pack comes with two, so i do swap out when one gets beat up. Easier than replacing screen itself for same.

New with Karapax for iPhone X is an orange device that looks like a case but is a placement tool. It’s brilliant. Absent the visual cues of home button, they have this simple plastic frame that clips on *like* a bumper. You place the screen within the guide - it only fits precisely and you couldn’t screw it up if you tried.

Genius!

Dust, always a thing. Since i have a back case, the dust collects in that groove with or without a screen protector. Dust either way, so dist with protected screen for me.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’ve been searching for an edge to edge with no notch cutout, no luck there.

Sorry it took so long, but I finally got around to getting those pics for you. With the screen on the cutout isn't super noticeable, but you can see it when the screen is off. Dust/lint is a mild annoyance as well since I keep my phone in my pocket all day at work. A quick wipe gets it off though.
20171114_163358.jpg

20171114_163315.jpg

Pcrispy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Normally, I hate screen protectors due to them being blatantly obvious, edges showing distortion/reflections to make them stick out worse, edges can be felt when swiping, edges collect LOTS of dust. With the screen replacement cost of the X being double that of the past, I decided not to risk a bare screen with this one. I tried a Tozo 3D which blatantly screamed that there was a screen protector on there. Then I tried an Anker Karapax which only covered the OLED section. The Anker felt pretty smooth, but had all of the downsides of a typical screen protector in appearance. Finally, I found this i-Blason and it's pretty much like the actual iPhone X screen being bare. The edges wrap around slightly, super smooth feel when swiping, I actually don't feel any edges at all swiping from the bottom and my Apple Leather case wraps around the sides perfect with a little lip protection left. The all clear glass covers the sensor notch areas except for the speaker opening, so I've not had to wipe dust or anything from that area, and I don't have a black notch on the screen protector trying to line up with the phone's notch. It's all clear and seamless glass around the edge bezels. Like the manufacturer states, and many can confirm including myself, any air bubbles left after install (if a completely clean screen free of dust was prepared first) will go away on their own within 24 hours. For the quality of this, and end results, I would happily pay way more than what it costs. I got mine for $8.39. Installed product looks identical to the renderings.

https://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-iPh...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3014202View attachment 120411

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I have used practically every available tempered glass screen protector available, and have tried some many times (ZAGG) with the same issues...the "halo" effect where the edges of the glass don't stick to the screen, and give it an outline. I have also had practically every one develop chips/cracks along the edges. I've wasted tons of money. No more...

That said, I finally gave up on screen protectors & just run a naked screen. I don't drop my phone as a rule, run a pretty good case all the time for protection...and buy insurance (carrier or AppleCare) so the replacement isn't a huge expense if/when it does happen.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Normally, I hate screen protectors due to them being blatantly obvious, edges showing distortion/reflections to make them stick out worse, edges can be felt when swiping, edges collect LOTS of dust. With the screen replacement cost of the X being double that of the past, I decided not to risk a bare screen with this one. I tried a Tozo 3D which blatantly screamed that there was a screen protector on there. Then I tried an Anker Karapax which only covered the OLED section. The Anker felt pretty smooth, but had all of the downsides of a typical screen protector in appearance. Finally, I found this i-Blason and it's pretty much like the actual iPhone X screen being bare. The edges wrap around slightly, super smooth feel when swiping, I actually don't feel any edges at all swiping from the bottom and my Apple Leather case wraps around the sides perfect with a little lip protection left. The all clear glass covers the sensor notch areas except for the speaker opening, so I've not had to wipe dust or anything from that area, and I don't have a black notch on the screen protector trying to line up with the phone's notch. It's all clear and seamless glass around the edge bezels. Like the manufacturer states, and many can confirm including myself, any air bubbles left after install (if a completely clean screen free of dust was prepared first) will go away on their own within 24 hours. For the quality of this, and end results, I would happily pay way more than what it costs. I got mine for $8.39. Installed product looks identical to the renderings.

https://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-iPh...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3014465View attachment 120411

Does this protector have adhesive all over, or just on the black edge? Does the middle adhere? I had similar screen protectors in the past for curved screens and they only had adhesive on edges, which sucked.

Pcrispy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Does this protector have adhesive all over, or just on the black edge? Does the middle adhere? I had similar screen protectors in the past for curved screens and they only had adhesive on edges, which sucked.

It's all over (middle, edges, etc) just like a normal screen protector. One that only adheres to the edges would be a major pain.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
It's all over (middle, edges, etc) just like a normal screen protector. One that only adheres to the edges would be a major pain.

Hmm, might try it. Appears unavailable in Canada, yet their smaller variant is available. Weird. Spigen is very good too, but not full coverage.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have used practically every available tempered glass screen protector available, and have tried some many times (ZAGG) with the same issues...the "halo" effect where the edges of the glass don't stick to the screen, and give it an outline. I have also had practically every one develop chips/cracks along the edges. I've wasted tons of money. No more...

That stinks. That’s something I’ve never dealt with using tempered glass protectors.

Pcrispy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, might try it. Appears unavailable in Canada, yet their smaller variant is available. Weird. Spigen is very good too, but not full coverage.

I can't imagine a better screen protector option. With this installed along with my Apple Leather case, it feels identical to when I didn't have a screen protector. Looks identical too, except for an edge around the speaker edge. It's exactly what my ideal scenario would be for a tempered glass screen protector, and the cost is amazing. Installation and aligning was the best of any I've used before too thanks to the install bracket. It left zero wiggle room, so it dropped in perfectly aligned. I was actually blown away.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

That said, I finally gave up on screen protectors & just run a naked screen. I don't drop my phone as a rule, run a pretty good case all the time for protection...and buy insurance (carrier or AppleCare) so the replacement isn't a huge expense if/when it does happen.

The Belkin doesn’t produce any effects if you get Apple to install it for you with their machine.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I can't imagine a better screen protector option. With this installed along with my Apple Leather case, it feels identical to when I didn't have a screen protector. Looks identical too, except for an edge around the speaker edge. It's exactly what my ideal scenario would be for a tempered glass screen protector, and the cost is amazing. Installation and aligning was the best of any I've used before too thanks to the install bracket. It left zero wiggle room, so it dropped in perfectly aligned. I was actually blown away.

can you post pics?

Darkbandit

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the Zagg on mine for about 24 hours. The rainbow effect wasn't too bad, but after reading reviews of the horrible cracking the Belkin had, I decided to bite the bullet and go to the Apple store and have one put on and am glad I did. Paired nicely with the silicone case and I am quite happy.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I had the Zagg on mine for about 24 hours. The rainbow effect wasn't too bad, but after reading reviews of the horrible cracking the Belkin had, I decided to bite the bullet and go to the Apple store and have one put on and am glad I did. Paired nicely with the silicone case and I am quite happy.

That’s what I plan on doing in the future.
It’s always a perfect install with the Belkin machine at Apple.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
That’s what I plan on doing in the future.
It’s always a perfect install with the Belkin machine at Apple.

Theirs are just so expensive. Since I have to do mine and wife’s, I do the Spigen. $8 for 2. And since I do the hinge method install, I get them perfect every time. I do both for $8 compared to $80 for 2 at Apple. And you can see I get these perfect.
bea4c4f45d96d8e3b503d26cee6fccc4.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73