Glass screen protector or not???

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Always a screen protector on day 1 , a few years back I did get a scratch on my screen probably from keys in pocket and it bugged me till I had to get a new device remember if you scratch it, it's permanent .

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I used to put screen protectors on my earlier iPhone models, but starting with the iPhone 6 I don’t buy them anymore.

I take very good care of my devices and always buy a Apple leather OEM case for my device. So far I haven’t damaged or cracked a screen in the last few years.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I always have a screen protector. I have this terrible habit of putting my phone in the same pocket as my keys. Recently I've been using glass protectors. I used to stick with Zagg. They were costly but the difference was noticeable. I really lied the Glass+Luxe product. The plastic around the glass did a great job of preventing cracks forming from the edges.

The older, non-glass, flexible products could definitely cause issues in screen responsiveness if they were not installed properly. I've tried several different types of glass screen protectors recently and found them all to be very responsive. I still like Zagg's products but their prices are getting out of hand and the competitive products are getting much better. Their latest, greatest product, sapphire defense is $50 and not even available for the X.

A company called Simply Carbon Fiber has a nearly indestructible screen protector (not glass though) for $30 normal price and $15 on sale. They use a phone protected by this product to hammer nails into a 2x4. It's impressive but I'm concerned about the clarity and responsiveness of the non-glass product

Anker has their KARAPAX product for the iPhone X with an alignment tool that looks really interesting and costs just $10 for a 2 pack. I'm thinking that will be my product of choice for my X

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
At least if you do use one, without the home button it will be contiguous. Some have the notch cut out but better ones should just cover everything. Still have to watch out for lifting on the edges. Personally, I'd rather just have it naked. I wish they did have a true Moh 8+ sapphire top. I mean what's another $100 on top of $1149? :p

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
A company called Simply Carbon Fiber has a nearly indestructible screen protector (not glass though) for $30 normal price and $15 on sale. They use a phone protected by this product to hammer nails into a 2x4. It's impressive but I'm concerned about the clarity and responsiveness of the non-glass product

I'm not sure about that product but it sounds a lot like the Rhinoshield Impact Protection one which is $25 and they have videos where they hammer on it (backed up by multiple YouTube reviewers doing the same or dropping heavy metal balls on them). I've used one and had no issues with clarity or responsiveness. The only downside vs. naked or tempered glass is the oleophobic properties are not as good so there's more fingerprinting. If you need maximum impact protection though it's worth it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
So I broke down today and bought a Sonix tempered glass protector at TMo today when I was looking at cases. The rep that put it on my phone left some lint or something under the screen so there's a weird bubble. Didn't notice it was something under the screen until I got home. Other than that I like it though.

minimejer05

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I’ve got mine on mostly perfect. It actually came with a fixture to ensure that it’s centered. I hate the “light bleed” around the edges of the protector, especially when on a white screen. It’s definitely more noticeable than when I had one on my 7 Plus.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I’ve got mine on mostly perfect. It actually came with a fixture to ensure that it’s centered. I hate the “light bleed” around the edges of the protector, especially when on a white screen. It’s definitely more noticeable than when I had one on my 7 Plus.

I took mine off bc of the rainbow bleed against the white backgrounds. They protector needs to be cut a little larger so it sits on the black bezels to eliminate that bleed. Wonder what protector out there is larger.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I’m using Spigen Glass. A 2 pack on amazon for $8. Not sure you can even see it on my phone. Fits great.
bc4388d78f16af984475ed51c2a9e91f.jpg

A_M_W

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I always use on and have had the Apple store install the last few. They do a great job. Also the screens on the X's are more expensive to replace.

I did the same. They did an amazing job, can barely tell it’s there!!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I might try Rhinoshield's full glass protector. It won't be as protective as their film, but my understanding is even though it's edge to edge it will work with their cases. I saw it on Mobile Review's EH's YouTube channel and he was running it with a Rhino case on an 8. Would eliminate all rainbowing and getting cutouts aligned etc.

edit:
One thing I've noticed with my ESR and I don't know if I just forgot about it, or it's due to the OLED screen vs LCD somehow, or a difference between ESR and Tech Armor (who I used to use for glass) but sitting in darkened/dark rooms when the screen is on the vertical "cut" edge of the protector will have a slight glow in lit up areas of the screen.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
That’s the ones I got. I put it on very well and was getting the rainbow bleed line on the right side and top by the notch. Only see it on white background. Maybe I will try the second one that is still in the box.

Sounds like it was properly limes up. I did both and my wife’s and no bleed line. But I have them both perfectly limes up.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like it was properly limes up. I did both and my wife’s and no bleed line. But I have them both perfectly limes up.

So when you are against a white background, say the mail app...there is no rainbow effect at the edge of the protector? I now installed two, pretty perfectly lined up as well and both give my a rainbow effect, more prominent when moving the phone or tilting it

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So when you are against a white background, say the mail app...there is no rainbow effect at the edge of the protector? I now installed two, pretty perfectly lined up as well and both give my a rainbow effect, more prominent when moving the phone or tilting it

Not in the lighting I’m in. But I know what your talking about. My iPad Pro that has a Zagg Glass in the restroom at my house, I’ve seen it do it. But only in that lighting. I would have to try this X at home when I’m there to see if it does it. But otherwise I have yet to notice it.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Not in the lighting I’m in. But I know what your talking about. My iPad Pro that has a Zagg Glass in the restroom at my house, I’ve seen it do it. But only in that lighting. I would have to try this X at home when I’m there to see if it does it. But otherwise I have yet to notice it.

Oh okay, well it’s not terrible so I rather have the protection. Just hate to ruin such a beautiful screen with that annoying visual. The spigen glass is a nice product though. I think if they made it a hair taller and wider it would fix that rainbow issue