Are you getting a Charging Pad?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I completely forgot about it until this thread, so I’m not sure if I’ll get one!! I have an 8 & totally forgot it has wireless charging🤷🏾*♀️

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to get one but really not sure what to get especially with the comments about power bricks and fast charging. I see the ones on the Apple site mention fast charging with a coming software update so I assume the charger itself already comes with all hardware? I do have a Motorola Quickcharge 2.0 brick from 3 years ago not sure if that would work with some of the other chargers you guys are talking about that support fast charging but don't come with a powerful enough brick?

I'd like to get something that could charge two phones at once, but I only see one poorly reviewed mat on Amazon and a 3 station Ikea thing that probably doesn't support the fast charge. The Apple one coming up looks interesting since it can charge multiple devices but there's no info to say if it would support multiple phones or just one phone and small accessories like the demo video with the watch and airpods.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting one, but not sure which one yet.

Does fast charging harm the battery in any way?

It shouldn't. You're more likely to see damage from fully draining and fully charging it repeatedly over time (lithium batteries don't like either of those). I guess it's possible that if you had the phone for a number of years you might somehow notice a difference vs. one that's not fast charged but I doubt it. The electronics responsible for the charging process should prevent anything like that from happening. Android phones have had fast charging for years now and I've never heard of issues from that. Just make sure you're not using some cheap $5 3rd party charger that you bought off Ebay China and you're probably fine.

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I'm looking at one of the charging pads on the apple online store.

It seems like the fast charging isn't enabled yet, so I'd just be doing the wireless charging for now.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I'm looking at one of the charging pads on the apple online store.

It seems like the fast charging isn't enabled yet, so I'd just be doing the wireless charging for now.

Actually that note is about fast wireless charging (which I didn't even realize was a thing until I saw that). You can already do the fast wired charging with the iPad brick and the USB-C setup.

travis4380

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I would like to get one. Waiting to see what others get and review. Would like one that does 2 phones since my work phone has wireless charging also.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Not this time around. Never really gotten the hang of wireless charging because...well, I never put my phone down long enough.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I have a charger from Samsung when I got the Note 8 (later switched to iPhone 8 Plus) but I’ll be considering Apple’s charging pad when it becomes available.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Charging pads are made pretty much pointless by the fast charge capability, have one if you want to play with it ! But when I eventually update my phone I'll also buy a higher rated charger and usb c to lightning cable, I like the idea of being able to charge my battery completely in under an hour.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a few of the Samsung fast chargers and love them. I can place it down on my desk or night table without fumbling for cords. I used to think they we’re silly but not anymore

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I plan on getting the Apple pad when released.

I’m gonna have to look hard at that, I’m not confident the watch will make a good connection unless I take the band off, and I’ll have to spend more money on a new case for my AirPods, which I generally charge in the car anyway. I’m not sure it’s a fiscally sound purchase for me. I think I would be buying it just for the sake of it being an Apple product.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73