What to do when the new iPhone comes to make it work?

ndstreet

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
I have a 7 plus on ATT now and will be getting my X on release day thanks to a 3am order. Just wanted to confirm I recall steps for when I've upgraded in the past.

1. Remove SIM card from existing iPhone
2. Replace old SIM card that I just removed into new phone

I didn't include backing up and then deciding to restore or start new, etc. That is another topic. Just wanted to confirm that nothing has changed. I had heard some talk about going SIM free at some point, software based SIM, and other changes potentially. Also don't recall seeing the X has a different sized SIM card (I think the 4 to 5 jump had the need to get the smaller card).

Had hoped that Apple made me pick an ATT phone, and I vaguely recall entering a phone number at some point in the ordering process, maybe they even did away with a SIM removal step and I just have to activate the new phone with its shipped SIM card? But that seems too easy.

Bottom line - is it as simple as replacing the SIM card that ships with the phone or even easier possibly? Thanks.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a 7 plus on ATT now and will be getting my X on release day thanks to a 3am order. Just wanted to confirm I recall steps for when I've upgraded in the past.

1. Remove SIM card from existing iPhone
2. Replace old SIM card that I just removed into new phone

I didn't include backing up and then deciding to restore or start new, etc. That is another topic. Just wanted to confirm that nothing has changed. I had heard some talk about going SIM free at some point, software based SIM, and other changes potentially. Also don't recall seeing the X has a different sized SIM card (I think the 4 to 5 jump had the need to get the smaller card).

Had hoped that Apple made me pick an ATT phone, and I vaguely recall entering a phone number at some point in the ordering process, maybe they even did away with a SIM removal step and I just have to activate the new phone with its shipped SIM card? But that seems too easy.

Bottom line - is it as simple as replacing the SIM card that ships with the phone or even easier possibly? Thanks.

I also have AT&T and don’t think I’ve ever had to replace the SIM. Phone usually works right out the box but I do always restore from a back right away so maybe that’s the difference.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I know the last time I upgraded on the Upgrade Program I went to the store and they just activated the SIM that was already in the new phone with AT&T and it disabled the SIM that was in the previous phone at that point. I'm assuming it will be similar this time though I'll be doing it myself since UP people were allowed to have phones shipped to them this year and we can mail back the old one.

anon(10345530)

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
You do not need to change SIM cards. If you ordered through Apple they asked for your number, zip, last 4 SSN, and linked the device to your account clearly stating your current phone will work until your new phone is turned on at which point AT&T will flip the switch on the new device. If ordered from AT&T the same will occur. When you turn it on it will activate. With respect to backup and restores. There is no reason you can not restore from a backup. I restored from a 7 to an 8 Plus and will do the same for my X. There should be zero issues...accent on SHOULD.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I’ve always restored from backup since before iPhone had iCloud. This is the first time I think I’m setting up as new. I do a lot of betas and notice restoring I always get little “quirks” on each phone. Like my 6s and then 7 wasn’t getting the same battery life I used to get on my 6 and below. I take it in to the genius bar and after diagnostics everything is top notch. This time I think I’m going to set up as new just to see how it compares.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve always restored from backup since before iPhone had iCloud. This is the first time I think I’m setting up as new. I do a lot of betas and notice restoring I always get little “quirks” on each phone. Like my 6s and then 7 wasn’t getting the same battery life I used to get on my 6 and below. I take it in to the genius bar and after diagnostics everything is top notch. This time I think I’m going to set up as new just to see how it compares.

You will not regret it, sir....

sallenthornton

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had issues with using the upgrade for another line? I ordered the X using my wife’s upgrade, but I plan to use the new phone and give her my 7 plus.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen