My experience wasn’t great - app wouldn’t work for at least 20 mins. Tried the online site and went through the iPhone upgrade programme, which I joined last year. Got to the last page when it came to booking a date and time and it just wouldn’t let me. Eventually was successful but not before the time had slipped to 4-5 weeks. When the app started to work it didn’t initially give me the option to press iPhone Upgrade programme. Anyone else have issues?
    10-27-2017 10:05 AM
    Last years Upgrade program debut in the UK really left a lot of Apple Fans feeling left out as it was more difficult for upgraders to get hold of phones than those buying outright (I was in this category of fan last year). This year I was very pleased to see that Apple had very much given the upgrade program some forethought, by contacting upgraders in advance of opening preorders with instructions on how to most effectively get through the ordering process.

This morning, everything went smoothly to begin with, having prepped in advance and using three devices (iPhone, iPad and Mac) to access the store I came up with some pretty funky gestures to quit and relaunch / refresh the store on each device. The iPad allowed me access first, I engaged the upgrade program which confirmed eligibility and allowed me to select the desired iPhone as well as showing that it was available for reservation at my local Apple Store. It gave me times as early ‪as 09:00‬ on Friday the 3rd to select from which I was delighted about. I selected the earliest and was presented with the Reservation Info screen (which confirms the time, location, phone and has the big blue, final Reserve button on it. Quickly pressing the Reserve button it thought about it for a few seconds before presenting me with a pop up which read “Good News. This iPhoneX is available today. The model you’ve selected is ready to be picked up.” Fantastic I thought! That is clearly a confirmation message, albeit with somewhat confusing wording at this point in the process, it also kind of sounds like the phone could be picked up today which clearly isn’t the case. A lot of users I suspect would walk away at this point assuming their reservation was in place, however, pressing “OK” returned me to the page behind it (i.e. the same Reservation Info screen), with the ability to press the Reserve button again. So I checked another app as well as my email to see if a reservation was in place - no sign of it. I pressed the reserve button again, same pop up. A bit odd this seems (Yoda voice). So I went back a few stages to check availability and one (only the earliest) timeslot had disappeared so I figured everyone is obviously trying to book the same slot (although this does not make the message presented any more acceptable!). So I picked one for later and again the same message is presented, I then tried one much later on another day, same message. So I just kept hammering the reserve button, hitting ok, reserve, ok, reserve, ok and eventually it moves onto a screen confirming that the phone has been reserved and should arrive in store by ‪the 18th November‬, I’ll be notified when it is there to book a date and time.

Obviously I am aware of the fact that the preorder process is hammered by millions of people and that the demand on systems is unprecedented, however I feel like the message I received on screen is not a result of that - saying “Good News” when something has clearly gone wrong does not give users a good experience. Had the message said “Sorry, your reservation has not been successful please try again” or “the slot you picked has already been allocated, please pick another” or even better “We’ve auto picked the next available slot” then I would have been accepting of that. But to say “Good news. This iPhoneX is available today.” And leave the user to figure out that the reservation hasn’t gone through just made me frustrated. This feels like a bug in the Apple Store app to me so it would be interesting to hear if anyone actually managed to successfully reserve an iphone as part of the upgrade program?

Ultimately the 18th isn’t as bad as I was expecting given the rumours of constrained stock, and I’m sure many others have received further out dates. But like I said above, had the app actually informed me that there was a problem I would have accepted that fact. But it felt to me like I was completely unable to use the app to make an upgrade reservation due to that message popping up each time so it has left me with yet another years upgrade feeling negative and that I would have been better staying with buying outright each year - the upgrade program is meant to make that process more slick, not more frustrating 😫 Some of my colleagues who are buying outright (as I used to prior to the upgrade program), easily managed to arrange for collection or delivery on the 3rd, so I really feel like being a member of the upgrade program is a negative thing this year again.☹️
    A_M_W likes this.
    10-27-2017 12:06 PM
    Last years Upgrade program debut in the UK really left a lot of Apple Fans feeling left out as it was more difficult for upgraders to get hold of phones than those buying outright (I was in this category of fan last year). This year I was very pleased to see that Apple had very much given the upgrade program some forethought, by contacting upgraders in advance of opening preorders with instructions on how to most effectively get through the ordering process.

This morning, everything went smoothly to begin with, having prepped in advance and using three devices (iPhone, iPad and Mac) to access the store I came up with some pretty funky gestures to quit and relaunch / refresh the store on each device. The iPad allowed me access first, I engaged the upgrade program which confirmed eligibility and allowed me to select the desired iPhone as well as showing that it was available for reservation at my local Apple Store. It gave me times as early ‪as 09:00‬ on Friday the 3rd to select from which I was delighted about. I selected the earliest and was presented with the Reservation Info screen (which confirms the time, location, phone and has the big blue, final Reserve button on it. Quickly pressing the Reserve button it thought about it for a few seconds before presenting me with a pop up which read “Good News. This iPhoneX is available today. The model you’ve selected is ready to be picked up.” Fantastic I thought! That is clearly a confirmation message, albeit with somewhat confusing wording at this point in the process, it also kind of sounds like the phone could be picked up today which clearly isn’t the case. A lot of users I suspect would walk away at this point assuming their reservation was in place, however, pressing “OK” returned me to the page behind it (i.e. the same Reservation Info screen), with the ability to press the Reserve button again. So I checked another app as well as my email to see if a reservation was in place - no sign of it. I pressed the reserve button again, same pop up. A bit odd this seems (Yoda voice). So I went back a few stages to check availability and one (only the earliest) timeslot had disappeared so I figured everyone is obviously trying to book the same slot (although this does not make the message presented any more acceptable!). So I picked one for later and again the same message is presented, I then tried one much later on another day, same message. So I just kept hammering the reserve button, hitting ok, reserve, ok, reserve, ok and eventually it moves onto a screen confirming that the phone has been reserved and should arrive in store by ‪the 18th November‬, I’ll be notified when it is there to book a date and time.

Obviously I am aware of the fact that the preorder process is hammered by millions of people and that the demand on systems is unprecedented, however I feel like the message I received on screen is not a result of that - saying “Good News” when something has clearly gone wrong does not give users a good experience. Had the message said “Sorry, your reservation has not been successful please try again” or “the slot you picked has already been allocated, please pick another” or even better “We’ve auto picked the next available slot” then I would have been accepting of that. But to say “Good news. This iPhoneX is available today.” And leave the user to figure out that the reservation hasn’t gone through just made me frustrated. This feels like a bug in the Apple Store app to me so it would be interesting to hear if anyone actually managed to successfully reserve an iphone as part of the upgrade program?

Ultimately the 18th isn’t as bad as I was expecting given the rumours of constrained stock, and I’m sure many others have received further out dates. But like I said above, had the app actually informed me that there was a problem I would have accepted that fact. But it felt to me like I was completely unable to use the app to make an upgrade reservation due to that message popping up each time so it has left me with yet another years upgrade feeling negative and that I would have been better staying with buying outright each year - the upgrade program is meant to make that process more slick, not more frustrating Some of my colleagues who are buying outright (as I used to prior to the upgrade program), easily managed to arrange for collection or delivery on the 3rd, so I really feel like being a member of the upgrade program is a negative thing this year again.☹️
    My experience was identical, in both form and emotion! I now have a date of 2nd December. I do feel it is unfair that those on the Upgrade Programme are not given preference to those who walk in off the street.
    A_M_W likes this.
    10-27-2017 02:35 PM

Ultimately the 18th isn’t as bad as I was expecting given the rumours of constrained stock, and I’m sure many others have received further out dates. But like I said above, had the app actually informed me that there was a problem I would have accepted that fact. But it felt to me like I was completely unable to use the app to make an upgrade reservation due to that message popping up each time so it has left me with yet another years upgrade feeling negative and that I would have been better staying with buying outright each year - the upgrade program is meant to make that process more slick, not more frustrating Some of my colleagues who are buying outright (as I used to prior to the upgrade program), easily managed to arrange for collection or delivery on the 3rd, so I really feel like being a member of the upgrade program is a negative thing this year again.☹️
    I had exactly the same experience, with exactly the same dialogue box popping up and that was trying on two devices. As you say it was very confusing as appeared to be confirmation, but you could still return to previous page in the process. I got through eventually and also got an expected in store by 18th November. It is annoying, as when I first got through to the upgrade screen there were lots of collection slots available for the 3rd. Maybe we will be lucky and Apple will crank up production and they will be in store earlier than the date stated.
    10-27-2017 05:43 PM
    8:01am via the Apple Store App I started the process, 8:10am I still couldn’t get in! I’d made the assumption that if I wasn’t in within the 1st 2 mins I could forget launch day. Panic set in!!! Clutching at straws I opened the Argos App, chose the Silver 256, apparently I already had a credit card on file, hit pay, job done (guaranteed delivery on the 3rd) Headed back to the Apple Store App at 8:14am and I was in, ordered a Space Grey 256 just in case (2-3 week delivery)
    10-28-2017 02:38 PM
    For the AirPods, which were equally difficult to get, Apple told me to check every morning in the Apple App at 6am as that’s when the stores know they get delivery. It didn’t work for me to be honest. However, I did keep checking iStockNow, which somehow has access to Apple inventory arriving at all stores around the world, and you can set up notifications for when there is a delivery. With the AirPods, I was notified of a shipment to the Covent Garden store and then went to the app and LO! You could order for in store pickup. A few mins later and they were out of stock again. Even though I have ordered my X, I am going to keep trying this method from Friday 3rd as you might just get lucky and be able to jump the queue.
    10-28-2017 02:56 PM
    I basically simultaneously refreshed the App Store on both my iPhone and iPad. Eventually the iPad clicked into the app and I made my purchase there.

I had already decided what I wanted and set them as favourites. All I had to do was go to my favourite page, add to basket and Apple Pay out.
    10-28-2017 03:42 PM
    By the time I got through on Apple the date had changed to 13-20 Nov, ordered 2.

Then saw CPW had stock for delivery on the 3rd so ordered one from them as well.

Just got dispatch confirmation from CPW that DPD will be delivering tomorrow
    11-02-2017 11:31 AM
    Woohoo ❤️had a pickup by the 18th Nov on the Apple Upgrade Programme. Just got notification that phone is ready for collection tomorrow!!!
    11-02-2017 12:45 PM