What initial problem do you think X will have?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
As with any new device there will be some quirks and Apple will quickly resolve them. The one thing I have always like about Apple is their engineering folks do their homework and I have yet to buy a bad piece of hardware from them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Every phone always carries an issue. What issue do you think the X will have for the first week or so?

I don’t foresee any problems with the iPhone X. With that in mind, there will always be a few lemons and, as always, they’ll get all the press, and because it’s an Apple device, it’ll get blown out of proportion for the sake of getting more clicks/views. Afterwards, a few drive-bys will come in here to stir the pot. Guaranteed!....(Laughing)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about changes that get around the notch. For example, Tweetbot recently updated their app for that very thing.

Here’s from Apple about the iPhone X, they state to go edge to edge conforming to all the curves and what not. And not to draw special attention to the notch and stuff. But there are a few tweaks necessary for display size and shape, but Apple has those in the UI. Check it out here.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Moving from 32-Bit to 64-Bit architecture is different from redesigning an app to specifically move around something on the device. Apple wants everyone to pretend the notch doesn’t exist. They want you to pretend the screen is still there.

The question that the OP posed was what problem I see happening. The notch itself not being able to be worked around whether a dev can or can’t is a problem in itself which in turn translates to a problem with the phone, in my opinion.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The question that the OP posed was what problem I see happening. The notch itself not being able to be worked around whether a dev can or can’t is a problem in itself which in turn translates to a problem with the phone, in my opinion.

If you choose to see it that way. The notch will not be as big an issue as everyone makes it out to be though. I hardly notice it at all in any video I’ve seen with it and I’m sure I’ll notice it less as I use the phone. Unless a developer draws special attention to it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If you choose to see it that way. The notch will not be as big an issue as everyone makes it out to be though. I hardly notice it at all in any video I’ve seen with it and I’m sure I’ll notice it less as I use the phone. Unless a developer draws special attention to it.

For devs to "pretend" it's not there their apps are going to have to operate just like they would on an iPhone without the notch. This would mean there is a chance that portions of videos will but cut out because of the notch. There is no way anyone will "not notice" a piece of video being removed because the developer was forced to pretend the notch didn't exist.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
For devs to "pretend" it's not there their apps are going to have to operate just like they would on an iPhone without the notch. This would mean there is a chance that portions of videos will but cut out because of the notch. There is no way anyone will "not notice" a piece of video being removed because the developer was forced to pretend the notch didn't exist.

Only if you go full screen though. And yes, video will be most noticeable. I should have mine next week and I’ll let you know if anything other than video gets interrupted by the notch and how annoying video is with the notch. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue at all.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you choose to see it that way. The notch will not be as big an issue as everyone makes it out to be though.

It's not a choice on my part. It's what my initial reaction is to it aesthetically. Therefore, it's a problem, in my opinion.

And you're right, it won't be as big as an issue to many people, let alone "everyone". I happen to think that there is a chance that it will though. That's all I'm saying.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Only if you go full screen though. And yes, video will be most noticeable. I should have mine next week and I’ll let you know if anything other than video gets interrupted by the notch and how annoying video is with the notch. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue at all.

Yea I got my pre order submitted early and hopefully Verizon sticks to their current estimate of 11/3 delivery. I'm hoping it's not nearly as annoying as it could potentially be if the apps are supposed to pretend it's not there. Seems like that means things are going to be getting cut off when viewing full screen. For example, on my S8 there are games I can play full screen with no distractions. If, for example, my NBA 2K app is to pretend the notch isn't there, that's gonna be pretty annoying while playing lol. Guess we will see how apps handle it next week. I'm looking forward to it. I've got enough faith in Apple that they aren't going to introduce something like this and completely ruin the user experience.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yea I got my pre order submitted early and hopefully Verizon sticks to their current estimate of 11/3 delivery. I'm hoping it's not nearly as annoying as it could potentially be if the apps are supposed to pretend it's not there. Seems like that means things are going to be getting cut off when viewing full screen. For example, on my S8 there are games I can play full screen with no distractions. If, for example, my NBA 2K app is to pretend the notch isn't there, that's gonna be pretty annoying while playing lol. Guess we will see how apps handle it next week. I'm looking forward to it. I've got enough faith in Apple that they aren't going to introduce something like this and completely ruin the user experience.

According to the guidelines on developer.apple.com the UIKit has templates for the X and apps are supposed to conform to the curves of the OLED screen. So the apps should curve around the notch. Other than that, yes it’s pretend it’s not there. So it really it should only be potentially bothersome with full screen video.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
According to the guidelines on developer.apple.com the UIKit has templates for the X and apps are supposed to conform to the curves of the OLED screen. So the apps should curve around the notch. Other than that, yes it’s pretend it’s not there. So it really it should only be potentially bothersome with full screen video.

Interesting. I look forward to seeing the implementation. Fingers crossed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR