iPhone X screen quality

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I’ve just been watching the weekly live show on the TheVerge dot com and they were demonstrating an issue with OLED screens that I wasn’t aware of. They had Samsung S8 and a Google Pixel and showed how the viewing angles were awful. Basically if you move a few degrees off straight then all of the colours change. They showed how this wasn’t the case with an iPhone 8 LCD screen and said the iPhone 8 screen was still the best screen for colour reproduction even if it doesn’t have the wow factor of looking straight at a super bright OLED screen. I know that generally we look at our phones head-on but the viewing angle on the OLED screens they had was really narrow.

So I see this as the big test for iPhone X. Have Apple solved this colour problem with their phone? Must say I’m sceptical as they don’t make the screens. I’ve got an iPhone 8 anyway so not in the market for an X but what I saw on the Verge would be a dealbreaker for me if the X isn’t significantly better than those other 2 phones.

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I doubt Apple would be putting out a product where the screen quality was an issue. We'll see what happens in a little over 2 weeks when they start to deliver!

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I doubt Apple would be putting out a product where the screen quality was an issue. We'll see what happens in a little over 2 weeks when they start to deliver!

It’s not a quality issue, but a limitation. It’s just how OLED technology is - the viewing angles aren’t as good as LCD. However, coming from someone who owned every Galaxy device since the S1, it’s a non issue.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It’s not a quality issue, but a limitation. It’s just how OLED technology is - the viewing angles aren’t as good as LCD. However, coming from someone who owned every Galaxy device since the S1, it’s a non issue.

From what I’ve read OLED has a superior viewing angle to LCD because of how it displays the images. We will find out soon enough

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it will be superior to the 8+.
I have a lot of phones and have noticed each iteration of AMOLED devices have marked improvements over their predecessors. After using my 8+ all day and pick up my Note 8 the difference is night and day. I cannot wait to have a 85" AMOLED TV to replace my current LCD one! There is simply no comparison. After using the Note 8 and picking up the 8+, things just look washed out. Viewing angles with color shift (notably in the past with reds looking orange at angle) have improved to basically a non issue now. Except for the new Pixel 2. That panel is AWFUL!

Eagle eyed owners will notice something different though with diamond pentile subpixels in the X.

9owNUKH.jpg

LCD is on left, AMOLED right.

It's far from any kind of dealbreaker but some may feel the display isn't crisp enough compared to other devices. It would be particularly noticeable to VR users but I don't think Apple is there yet. ;)

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
From what I’ve read OLED has a superior viewing angle to LCD because of how it displays the images. We will find out soon enough
You clearly haven’t watched the video mentioned at the top of this thread because that’s not close to true and it’s shown clearly in it. We’re not talking about subtle differences that you need precision measuring equipment for either. If any of my Android loving friends tell me I shouldn’t have bought an old fashioned iPhone 8, the awful OLED screens they have will be the thing that I throw back at them from now on. Hopefully Apple can do better

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
For anyone who is remotely interested in photography these super-saturated OLED screens are junk. Sure they catch the eye but try getting one of your photos printed and see how different it looks. There’s a lot to be said for colour accuracy. I hope the Apple OLED screens are a lot better than anything that currently is on the market.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You clearly haven’t watched the video mentioned at the top of this thread because that’s not close to true and it’s shown clearly in it.

Nope sure didn’t. If it doesn’t have the iPhone X in it I won’t worry about it because it means nothing to me until the phone is actually out. Comparing phones I’m not going to buy isn’t something I’m interested in.

Like I said we will know in a couple of weeks.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
We will know in a couple of weeks however for anyone who wants one in a couple of weeks they’ve got to take a $1000+ gamble that the iPhone X will be significantly better than the same technology in the latest flagship Android phones. The alternative is wait and see what the reviews say and by then you could be waiting ages if supply is low. I’m kind of glad I bought an iPhone 8 because right now I don’t know if I’d gamble (I see it as a gamble anyway) and buy an X or wait and miss out on the new hot gadget.

Savoy

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
It's not a gamble. We all know Apple doesn't put out crap products. There's no way the oled screen on the X is bad especially with them charging 1000 bucks for it. Just no way. They are not stupid.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It will be improvement over prior LCD iphones for sure. I don't see it being better than the Note 8 display just based on resolution alone. Nonetheless, it will be a treat and far overdue.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
It will be improvement over prior LCD iphones for sure. I don't see it being better than the Note 8 display just based on resolution alone. Nonetheless, it will be a treat and far overdue.

I can’t agree with this. Resolution has been better than good enough for a number of years on most high end phones. We don’t need more. It’s like saying just because one camera has more megapixels than another it must be better; that’s simply not true. You reach a point where there’s other limiting factors (in the case of a camera it’s the amount of light that those pixels can take in) and I’d say in the case of a display it doesn’t matter if it’s got a zillion pixels on it, if the colour reproduction isn’t accurate. As phones go, the iPhone’s LCD screen reproduces colour well and does so at a wide range of viewing angles; that’s the gold standard, not the Note 8 just because it has a few more pixels.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the 8...for now. I am not going to pay any extra for OLED screen as the current LCD screen is plenty superb. We are not talking about a TV, just a tiny screen of phone. The only possible attraction of "X" to me is the slightly larger (and taller) screen on a bezel-less body, keeping the body size closer to 4.7" phone. This indeed something attracts me, a "top notch" nevertheless.
There are other concerns such as the reliability and usability of face recognition, and UI change necessitated by face ID etc etc.
In any case, X is not something I jump on hastily, have my colleagues here play a guinea pig role for a while, then might raise my lazy axx. Why rush? :)

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
"For anyone who is remotely interested in photography these super-saturated OLED screens are junk."

Agree 100%. OLED screens have way too much color saturation. Try watching TV or a movie on it. If it was a TV set you would turn down the color. I have an s7 edge and I had 2 Samsung Tab s2 tablets, so it's not just an individual sample thing. My friend also has the S2 tablet. All have horrible color.

People just do not have orange/pink skin. LCDs have much better color. Yes, it might look "washed out" next to an OLED screen, but I'll take LCD any day for the accuracy.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
"For anyone who is remotely interested in photography these super-saturated OLED screens are junk."

Agree 100%. OLED screens have way too much color saturation. Try watching TV or a movie on it. If it was a TV set you would turn down the color. I have an s7 edge and I had 2 Samsung Tab s2 tablets, so it's not just an individual sample thing. My friend also has the S2 tablet. All have horrible color.

People just do not have orange/pink skin. LCDs have much better color. Yes, it might look "washed out" next to an OLED screen, but I'll take LCD any day for the accuracy.

I would disagree with you and calling an s7 edge screen horrible is pretty funny. Have you seen the pixel xl 2 screen? Now that is a horrible screen. It is dull and unsaturated. I’d take an s7 edge super amoled display any day over an lcd or LG p-OLED

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I didn't say the s7 edge screen is horrible. I said it has horrible color. Meaning, it is not realistic for video. It looks OK when just looking at icons on the home screen. But watching TV or a movie looks like you are watching a color tv from 1970. It is just not accurate.

It's the same as headphones that artificially enhance the bass. Too much bass is just as bad as too much color. I want flat frequency response from headphones. I will adjust the sound as necessary, I don't want headphones doing it all the time.

I want natural looking color. The world is not over saturated with color. If I am shooting video, the screen of the device should look EXACTLY the same as the real thing. I don't want artificially deep blues, greens, reds and flesh tones.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
The issue with users complaining about oversaturated colors and generally worse presentation than LCD is not a fault of the display but rather poor implementation of mfr supplied calibration. The dynamic range and nearly infinite contrast ratio is far superior than any LCD simply due to the laws of physics of the display tech. Unfortunately the manufactures will push the saturation levels higher because they can. Just as the public often gets tricked into believing a sound system sounds better because its playing louder.

Calibrate the displays and use them and you will see the OLED is far and beyond superior. Side by side my Note 8 once calibrated doesn't look any more saturated then my iphone 8+. But using it it's clear which one is the winner.

Apple will (likely) have the AMOLED panel on the X accurately calibrated out of the box. And too, expect the average users to praise how superior it looks to the competition which has the levels blown out. :D

And, yes the resolution does matter. I wish Apple went with 2560x1440 on the X. The eagle eye users will instantly be able to discern the differences side by side.

This is coming from a user that runs dual 7680x4320 32" displays. The difference from dual 4096x2160 displays of the same size was ENORMOUS!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711