Pre-Ordering when I'm on my employer's account?

truav8r

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
My situation...

I'm on my employer's cell plan (they are kind enough to pay for the service since I use it for work purposes). I brought my own device to the plan a couple years ago (iPhone 5 currently). When I was added to the company service plan, I visited a Verizon store, who confirmed with my boss (the manager of the Verizon account) that it was ok to add me to the company plan. The boss confirmed, bing bang boom, and I was now on the company plan. Now, I want to pre-order the iPhone X on 10/27, but do I have to preorder from Verizon (where presumably I would need to have my employer preorder it for me, I suppose) or can I preorder it myself from Apple? My plan is to get an unlocked sim-less X, pay for it outright on Apple.com, and when it arrives, walk into a Verizon store and have them swap out the 5 for the X on my employer's plan. I figure a call to my employer may or may not be in order to make sure it's all on the up-and-up, but that's ok. Question is, am I going to get a funny look (or an outright "no") from the Verizon store rep when I ask to swap out the 5 for the X, when I'm on my employer's plan?

This has been my plan all along and didn't give it a second thought about any issues, but then I read iMore's article about folks trying to add an Apple Watch LTE when they are an employee on a company plan, and it got me thinking about my situation.

Bottom line... if I'm on an existing employer's plan, can I order an unlocked iPhoneX from Apple when I'm on a plan that's controlled by my employer, and swap it out at the Verizon store with little to no fuss?

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest you get with your employer to find out the correct procedure.

truav8r

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Already tried that route. Hence I'm asking here.

In theory, it should be no different, perhaps even easier, than being added to my employer's plan in the first place. After all, we're only taking about swapping phones. The crux of the question is whether Verizon is going to balk at all if I don't buy the X from them? I don't see how they could, but then we are talking about a carrier here 😂

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
If you are buying it outright, why would you need to go to a Verizon store to have them swap it out? Why couldn't you just move the SIM card from one phone to the other yourself?

To answer your last question, Verizon doesn't care where you purchased the phone. Adding an Apple Watch line is a different thing than just swapping a phone on an existing line.

anon(764611)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
truav8r I manage/support mobile for my company so I can tell you how it is for us. If we take over a users services (sounds like what your company did for you) at that point the device is under the company name and account so they have to initiate the upgrade/purchase request. I know to buy from Apple they require your mobile number, and when they see your number is associated with a company account they likely will not proceed at that point. Again speaking on how my company does it, my team and I have to make all purchases for the devices on our company account. Hope you are able to figure a way around this. Good luck!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR