POLL: Why are you NOT getting the iPhone X?

Poll: Why aren’t you getting an iPhone X?

• Too expensive

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Hate the notch at the top

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Not eligible for an upgrade

• Not a compelling upgrade

• Switching to a non-Apple smartphone

• Simply don’t want it.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I understand that feeling!! Had it many times myself lol
I really do feel quite let Down with what Apple announced this year. Yes I got an 8+, but I was due an upgrade anyway so I just got it. But the X just feels a bit, meh!? Other handsets have grabbed my attention far more this year, notably the Note 8, LG V30 and the Pixel 2 XL.

Sometimes I wish I could just buy a Nokia 6 and be happy for a couple years 🤣

Haha I will never be satisfied with what phone I carry. The honeymoon phase only lasts a couple of months and I end up getting a new phone every 6 months

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I understand that feeling!! Had it many times myself lol
I really do feel quite let Down with what Apple announced this year. Yes I got an 8+, but I was due an upgrade anyway so I just got it. But the X just feels a bit, meh!? Other handsets have grabbed my attention far more this year, notably the Note 8, LG V30 and the Pixel 2 XL.

Sometimes I wish I could just buy a Nokia 6 and be happy for a couple years 🤣

Here's my next question to you...

What if the second generation of the 10 next year is the same thing since we all know apple hates to change things around too often. What if it still has the horns and no touch id, lacking brightness and resolution

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

What if the second generation of the 10 next year is the same thing since we all know apple hates to change things around too often. What if it still has the horns and no touch id, lacking brightness and resolution

I’m close to jumping ship now, so if it looks the same next year with no option of a 9 or an 11+ then I will go elsewhere. I really dislike the horns/botch I mean notch....

Been staring at the Pixel 2 XL and hovering over the buy button for an hour

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I’m close to jumping ship now, so if it looks the same next year with no option of a 9 or an 11+ then I will go elsewhere. I really dislike the horns/botch I mean notch....

Been staring at the Pixel 2 XL and hovering over the buy button for an hour

Haha you just said how you are too tied down to iOS ecosystem!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

What if next year, the X replaces the 4.7" model and a larger version of the X is added to replace the 5.5" model? I can't help but see that coming, if not next year, soon.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I don't like the notch.

No TouchID.

Not paying top dollar for a first gen product.

The notch, horns...Whatever you want to call those stupid things are the main reason I will not be getting the X! Secondly no touch ID. They even used the horns to be functional when pulling down to get the control center. You ARE FORCED to use the "Right horn" in order to get the control center. While the "left horn" will pull down your notification center. So terrible to make someone have to use a left and right corner instead of just pulling down from any area of the top of the screen. Poor decisions!

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I was referring mainly to the Samsung’s but others also go brighter.
The Note 8 hits 1200 Nits, S8 1000 Nits and the iPhone is around 625 Nits.
I also commented on this a couple of weeks back, but I am not so sure anymore that we are correct. Apple is reporting the max brightness as a typical maximum brightness. Do we know how Samsung is reporting theirs? The reason why I ask is because the theoretical limit of 1000 nits on the S8/+ or the 1200 nits on the Note8 may be peak brightness only (not typical), meaning that it can be hit only under certain specific conditions. Don't assume that we are comparing apples to apples here, no pun intended.

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I also commented on this a couple of weeks back, but I am not so sure anymore that we are correct. Apple is reporting the max brightness as a typical maximum brightness. Do we know how Samsung is reporting theirs? The reason why I ask is because the theoretical limit of 1000 nits on the S8/+ or the 1200 nits on the Note8 may be peak brightness only (not typical), meaning that it can be hit only under certain specific conditions. Don't assume that we are comparing apples to apples here, no pun intended.

Fair comment, but I watch a lot of tech videos on YouTube and it’s well known that there is quite a difference between the iPhone and several other handsets when it comes to brightness, the biggest difference being the Galaxy series. It might not be as black and white as the figures suggest but there is a difference, and to my eye’s it’s pretty obvious.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Fair comment, but I watch a lot of tech videos on YouTube and it’s well known that there is quite a difference between the iPhone and several other handsets when it comes to brightness, the biggest difference being the Galaxy series. It might not be as black and white as the figures suggest but there is a difference, and to my eye’s it’s pretty obvious.
You could very well be correct. I have an S8+ and it does get quite bright, but when you are hitting typical peak brightness levels (you normally get this when outdoors in bright sun), there is massive distortion to color accuracy. The only mode in fact that supports this "peak brightness" is the Adaptive mode and that mode is known to not be color accurate (it's the equivalent of using Dynamic picture mode of a TV - usually involving a heavy shift to blue color spectrum).

Where the peak brightness really matters under accurate color reproduction modes is in HDR playback where you need the peak brightness to achieve the required dynamic range. This can only be achieved on the Cinema mode or Basic mode on the S8/+ series and the typical peak brightness in those modes never really gets as high as in Adaptive mode.

All in all, interesting times. I want to see how they compare in person because I just cannot believe that Samsung would neuter the iPhone display so badly unless Apple intentionally limited it to keep the battery drain to an acceptable level (maximum brightness on the S8+ for instance drains the battery like crazy, especially when OLED display is displaying bright or white content - this is by the way a known issue with OLED).

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
You could very well be correct. I have an S8+ and it does get quite bright, but when you are hitting typical peak brightness levels (you normally get this when outdoors in bright sun), there is massive distortion to color accuracy. The only mode in fact that supports this "peak brightness" is the Adaptive mode and that mode is known to not be color accurate (it's the equivalent of using Dynamic picture mode of a TV - usually involving a heavy shift to blue color spectrum).

Ok you lost me there

My main point was the “competition” are already producing better, bigger, brighter screens with equivalent or higher resolution. Just my opinion of course! I have chosen to stick with the 8+, too many small issues with the X that I just can’t look past especially at £1000!!!

I’m still being tempted by the Pixel 2 XL and Note 8 to be honest, there are 2 things holding me back and that’s the Apple Watch, and the eco system which all my family use. I’m in no rush and I think the 8+ is a brilliant handset

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
#6 . Work as a driver of a food delivery truck. Would have to buy a second phone (probably SE) to give to customers so they can talk to my warehouse. Already people are messing with my 7 Plus. Good thing the Speck case is a good one. Plus “I” think $1500 for it is a little too much for now. Maybe I’ll pick up next year’s iPhone 9 or XI, or whatever it’s called.

Hope who’s ever getting the X doesn’t have to wait that long.

Last edited:

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I’m personally not interested in the design. It’s not a fully developed design and I think the technology is still two years away from being fully realized. My iPhone 7 can do everything the X can do minus the facial features and wireless charging (native at least, you can buy chargers for the 7). It’s just not worth the upgrade. I also dislike OLED screensz

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
1 and 6
I don’t like the style. The notch bothers me. No Touch ID. Should be given a choice. I don’t like facial recognition. I like the iPhone form factor and the bezel. I love my 7+. Left Samsung after the Note 7 debacle.
I went all in with Apple. If I do upgrade it will be the 8+ but I am ok for now. Got a great trade in on the Note5 I switched into from the 7.
I am paying on the series 3 Watch

Jacob_LMay

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Please vote in the above poll as well as offer comments about your decision in this thread. Thank you.

To the members who are using Tapatalk or the iMore Forums app, the choices are as follows:

1. Too expensive
2. Hate the notch at the top
3. Not eligible for an upgrade
4. Upgrade not compelling enough
5. Switching to a non-Apple smartphone
6. Simply don’t want it.

I love this Question!!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members