POLL: Why are you NOT getting the iPhone X?

Poll: Why aren’t you getting an iPhone X?

• Too expensive

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Hate the notch at the top

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Not eligible for an upgrade

• Not a compelling upgrade

• Switching to a non-Apple smartphone

• Simply don’t want it.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rsidhaarth

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
I am a WP user and want to switch to other ecosystem, because my business demands more business related apps.

When comparing with Android, IOS is much better, faster and secure. So I decided to switch towards it.

I decided to go for 10. But I saw many article saying that there might be chance that stock won't be available till next year due to shortage.

I can't wait 5 more months for 10. So I decided to go for 8 Plus.

And also in India I got better deal. If I return my phone after 1 year they will give back all of the money. So it's an investment of 180USD per year for iPhone 8 Plus. So I have picked it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Be careful of your use of “only $200 more”. To some people, that’s a heckuva lot of money, and additional burden even when broken down into monthly installments.

Honestly, most payment plans on phones are broken into 24 months. $200 is only $8.33 more per month. If that is a burden, then an argument could be made that they shouldn't be getting an iPhone anyway, lol.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, most payment plans on phones are broken into 24 months. $200 is only $8.33 more per month. If that is a burden, then an argument could be made that they shouldn't be getting an iPhone anyway, lol.

You’d be surprised by the strain a good deal of people are under. At the same time, who are we to say who “shouldn’t” be getting an iPhone, especially when ALL of us do things we shouldn’t do in one form or another. Know what I mean?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You’d be surprised by the strain a good deal of people are under. At the same time, who are we to say who “shouldn’t” be getting an iPhone, especially when ALL of us do things we shouldn’t do in one form or another. Know what I mean?

Sure, I know what you mean. But if one can't afford an extra $8 a month...they definitely shouldn't be getting a brand new iPhone. What they choose to do is on them. I absolutely do things I shouldn't do at times. But I know I shouldn't do them when I do them lol.

And it's also all in how people are paying for their devices. Some people are paying outright and others are financing. But personally, if I've got $800 to spend on a phone...a phone (lol)...then the extra $200 whether it be financed or paid up front shouldn't really be a big problem. Just means I either need to save for another month or so...or that's one less fast food meal for the month, lol.

Just my thoughts.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I will be getting the X. I just don't understand the to expensive pole, when the 6S plus was a thousand dollar phone and I don’t remember that much talk about price.

If I was not going to get it I'd be number 3

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I selected too expensive. But I also dislike the narrow, screen, swipe down on the right for one thing, down on the left for another. Bah..

You’re still paying $1200 for a pocket computer with 64gigs of storage. They require you to buy Apple care for $200. A $16 or less Magpul case and a $30 wrist watch saves a lot of heartache and expense. (My three year old 6+ that I traded in for my sim free 8+ was flawless.)

Could I afford it ? Sure. I could even get a Herpes Apple Watch if wanted, but I can’t stomach giving away $ 700 for a $40 watchband.

Stop giving them ridiculous money, and the price will drop. Do they deserve a fair profit ? Sure do, and I don’t mind giving them a fair amount, but $1149 for 256 GB model ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jln3mi0vfJU

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I selected too expensive. But I also dislike the narrow, screen, swipe down on the right for one thing, down on the left for another. Bah..

You’re still paying $1200 for a pocket computer with 64gigs of storage. They require you to buy Apple care for $200. A $16 or less Magpul case and a $30 wrist watch saves a lot of heartache and expense. (My three year old 6+ that I traded in for my sim free 8+ was flawless.)

Could I afford it ? Sure. I could even get a Herpes Apple Watch if wanted, but I can’t stomach giving away $ 700 for a $40 watchband.

Stop giving them ridiculous money, and the price will drop. Do they deserve a fair profit ? Sure do, and I don’t mind giving them a fair amount, but $1149 for 256 GB model ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jln3mi0vfJU

This is a completely different conversation...
Not appreciating the cost they are charging and not being able to afford an additional $200 after already spending $800 is different. I can understand not wanting to spend the money because you don't agree with what they are charging. Only you can decide what you value and don't.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
  • Too $$$, not sure worth $200 more than an 8+
  • I don't like the notch
  • I don't want Face ID yet (not tested)
  • I like the home button & touch ID
  • I don't like the cropped image size for photos
  • I don't like the OLED brightness compared to other phones (Low NIPS)
  • I don't think it will be in stock or delivered by 11/3
  • I don't like they removed reachability

Will wait until XI, and stick with the 8-Plus.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting the X. I just don't understand the to expensive pole, when the 6S plus was a thousand dollar phone and I don’t remember that much talk about price.

If I was not going to get it I'd be number 3

The iPhone with the lowest storage capacity (the one that most people seem to get) has never had a $999 starting price. Ever. That’s the complaint.

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Not getting a X already got an 8+.

- It’s not worth £200 over the base 8+
- Stupid notch, seriously! Every time I see a video of someone playing a video on it in landscape, I have to shake my head!
- Less screen estate than the 8+ thanks again to that notch
- No TouchID!! NONE!!
- New cases/screen protectors again
- Low resolution and brightness compared to the competition

It just seems a little half baked, IF I was going to spend £1000 on a phone, it would be the Note 8 which has the best screen I’ve ever seen on a phone as well as numerous other great features. It’s also slightly less than £1k so better value.
As much as I want an OLED display in my iPhone, I certainly don’t want the Apple version of it right now.
Really happy with my 8+ also, despite what some people say/think I like the design, it’s functional and familiar with almost all the new spec of the X. Works for me

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Price and lack of Touch ID are the biggest factors that cause me to really, strongly consider not buying the iPhone X. I simply don't believe that Face ID will be convenient or work as well, or as seamlessly as Touch ID, on this first (beta) version of the phone. Also, the price is just gouging beyond my tolerance levels. It isn't an issue of not being able to afford it, it's that I don't want to pay that much money for what is now commoditized tech.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Not getting a X already got an 8+.

- It’s not worth £200 over the base 8+
- Stupid notch, seriously! Every time I see a video of someone playing a video on it in landscape, I have to shake my head!
- Less screen estate than the 8+ thanks again to that notch
- No TouchID!! NONE!!
- New cases/screen protectors again
- Low resolution and brightness compared to the competition

It just seems a little half baked, IF I was going to spend £1000 on a phone, it would be the Note 8 which has the best screen I’ve ever seen on a phone as well as numerous other great features. It’s also slightly less than £1k so better value.
As much as I want an OLED display in my iPhone, I certainly don’t want the Apple version of it right now.
Really happy with my 8+ also, despite what some people say/think I like the design, it’s functional and familiar with almost all the new spec of the X. Works for me

I have been waiting for apple to release an OLED iPhone for over 3 years. Now that it has been announced I don't even think I will be getting it. First of the "horns" are the worst design I've ever seen on a smartphone. I am big into the design and hardware of a smartphone and this design is just awful.

Secondly, touch ID. Why take away the one perfect thing that apple has created? It works so well, is so convenient and I can unlock my phone without having to raise it up to my face everytime!

When you say the display has lower resolution and brightness compared to other competition, are you referring to like samsungs display? I always wondered if an OLED display would even be able to shine on an iPhone being that you really are only looking at a bunch of icons on a home screen. I am thinking of upgrading my 7 to the 8

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I have been waiting for apple to release an OLED iPhone for over 3 years. Now that it has been announced I don't even think I will be getting it. First of the "horns" are the worst design I've ever seen on a smartphone. I am big into the design and hardware of a smartphone and this design is just awful.

Secondly, touch ID. Why take away the one perfect thing that apple has created? It works so well, is so convenient and I can unlock my phone without having to raise it up to my face everytime!

When you say the display has lower resolution and brightness compared to other competition, are you referring to like samsungs display? I always wondered if an OLED display would even be able to shine on an iPhone being that you really are only looking at a bunch of icons on a home screen. I am thinking of upgrading my 7 to the 8

Yes, I was referring mainly to the Samsung’s but others also go brighter.
The Note 8 hits 1200 Nits, S8 1000 Nits and the iPhone is around 625 Nits.
The iPhone X is barely 2k resolution whilst the Samsung’s have a much higher resolution.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 8+, I also very much like all things apple but having just watch the Pixel 2 event, you can’t but admire what other companies are doing. The Pixel 2 XL has a 6” display, QHD, can do portrait with front and rear camera, has fast charging, stereo speakers, ip68 rating, unlimited storage for videos/photo’s, does AR, and has arguably the best assistant going in Google Assistant. The price, £799 for 64GB and £899 for 128GB. Which phone is better value? An iPhone 10 at £999 with 64GB or the new Pixel XL? If you can pull yourself away from iOS, it’s a no brained for me but unfortunately I am really tied up in Apples eco system!! Kids have got devices, we have Apple TV, family sharing for storage and Apple Music, myself and my wife both have Apple Watch.... it would be a nightmare for me to change which is a shame as I like to try out new technology

Anyway, back on topic lol

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I was referring mainly to the Samsung’s but others also go brighter.
The Note 8 hits 1200 Nits, S8 1000 Nits and the iPhone is around 625 Nits.
The iPhone X is barely 2k resolution whilst the Samsung’s have a much higher resolution.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 8+, I also very much like all things apple but having just watch the Pixel 2 event, you can’t but admire what other companies are doing. The Pixel 2 XL has a 6” display, QHD, can do portrait with front and rear camera, has fast charging, stereo speakers, ip68 rating, unlimited storage for videos/photo’s, does AR, and has arguably the best assistant going in Google Assistant. The price, £799 for 64GB and £899 for 128GB. Which phone is better value? An iPhone 10 at £999 with 64GB or the new Pixel XL? If you can pull yourself away from iOS, it’s a no brained for me but unfortunately I am really tied up in Apples eco system!! Kids have got devices, we have Apple TV, family sharing for storage and Apple Music, myself and my wife both have Apple Watch.... it would be a nightmare for me to change which is a shame as I like to try out new technology

Anyway, back on topic lol

Trust me, I've been back and forth for years and I've come back to iOS for good. Mainly the same reasons you states. Everyone in my family uses iOS. I had a pixel (first gen) and it was a fabulous phone. The QHD displays on these Android phones now are spectacular. So what you're saying is that this OLED display on the 10 will not come close to the Sammy's and Google pixels QHD display? How do you think it will compare to the standard LCD display of the 8 plus?

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I’m not saying it won’t look good, it’s OLED so it will look amazing, my point is, the price of the phone doesn’t really stick with me when you can get better, higher quality products for less money. The screen will look far better than the 8 as OLED is way superior imo to LED technology. The contrast is unbelievable. I too have owned several high end android devices over the last couple of years and always end up back at an iPhone because of that eco system! So the price I guess becomes a non issue for those that just want the best of Apple, yes you can get it elsewhere cheaper but it’s not iOS. I completely get it, but doesn’t mean I’m buying one lol still too many flaws in that design.

Whatever people choose, they’ll end up with a great phone! Just enjoy it

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I’m not saying it won’t look good, it’s OLED so it will look amazing, my point is, the price of the phone doesn’t really stick with me when you can get better, higher quality products for less money. The screen will look far better than the 8 as OLED is way superior imo to LED technology. The contrast is unbelievable. I too have owned several high end android devices over the last couple of years and always end up back at an iPhone because of that eco system! So the price I guess becomes a non issue for those that just want the best of Apple, yes you can get it elsewhere cheaper but it’s not iOS. I completely get it, but doesn’t mean I’m buying one lol still too many flaws in that design.

Whatever people choose, they’ll end up with a great phone! Just enjoy it

I hear ya, I too can't seem to justify the price with some of the design flaws. Look I'll spend 850 on a plus so at this point what's another $150? People will find the money for what they want. I know once I can get my hands on a demo I'll say wow I need this. Trying to hold off with the 8 plus but not sure if I can. Also no idea what the supply and demand will be like.

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I hear ya, I too can't seem to justify the price with some of the design flaws. Look I'll spend 850 on a plus so at this point what's another $150? People will find the money for what they want. I know once I can get my hands on a demo I'll say wow I need this. Trying to hold off with the 8 plus but not sure if I can. Also no idea what the supply and demand will be like.

Yeah I understand that feeling!! Had it many times myself lol
I really do feel quite let Down with what Apple announced this year. Yes I got an 8+, but I was due an upgrade anyway so I just got it. But the X just feels a bit, meh!? Other handsets have grabbed my attention far more this year, notably the Note 8, LG V30 and the Pixel 2 XL.

Sometimes I wish I could just buy a Nokia 6 and be happy for a couple years 🤣

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro