POLL: Why are you NOT getting the iPhone X?

Poll: Why aren’t you getting an iPhone X?

• Too expensive

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Hate the notch at the top

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Not eligible for an upgrade

• Not a compelling upgrade

• Switching to a non-Apple smartphone

• Simply don’t want it.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please vote in the above poll as well as offer comments about your decision in this thread. Thank you.

To the members who are using Tapatalk or the iMore Forums app, the choices are as follows:

1. Too expensive
2. Hate the notch at the top
3. Not eligible for an upgrade
4. Upgrade not compelling enough
5. Switching to a non-Apple smartphone
6. Simply don’t want it.

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Couple of reasons for me. One is the too expensive part- the $300 price difference plus it’s an extra $70 for Apple care. Not sure I love the face id. The days of discreetly looking at you phone in a meeting would seem to be over if I need to hold it up to my face. Lastly availability- being on a Verizon employee plan they don’t let us order until the demand is over. I estimate that would be like February or March.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting until next year to upgrade for a variety of reasons.
1. I already upgraded 3 phones this year, two iPhone 7's for my wife and her sister and a Samsung galaxy s8+ for my son. My Verizon bill is now way more than I'd like it.
2. I'm sticking with iOS 10.1.1 for now for the wallpapers I use. They don't work well past 10.1.1.
3. I'm not that impressed with iOS 11. While it has some nice new features, there's much I don't like, including the new app store. On my Wife's phone, I like to never found the purchased list. The app store seems to be too busy with too much junk I don't care about.
4. The iPhone X screen size isn't what I would want. It's too narrow and tall. I'm hoping next year brings a larger version that's wider. I do feel it's a bit overpriced, but it is what it is. Depending on next year's price of a larger version, I might opt to upgrade to this year's iPhone 8 Plus.
5. IOS 11 kills all 32 bit apps. I still have several I like and use, and can't yet find suitable replacements in the App Store.
If I were upgrading this year, it would be the 8 Plus. The X just doesn't thrill me that much to pay $150 to $200 more for. I don't need wireless charging that I must pay extra for gadgets in order to use it. Plugging in to charge is fine with me. I would like the animojis and better camera, but not enough to pay that much more for.
Update: Since the OP wants just one in his list, it would have to be #4 , The upgrade is not compelling enough.

Last edited:

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
My reasoning for choosing the 8 Plus is, in no particular order. (The debate continued until this past Friday, so I didn’t preorder. Fortunately, the one I wanted will ship this week).

*My iPhone 6s will lose $50 or more trade in value after 10/22
*The rumored delays have me concerned with all the new tech
*I was historically a non “S” cycle. But always had “S” envy. With the 6s, I switched, and the 8/8 Plus seem like an “S” cycle
*Gives Apple a chance to nail down how the OS handles the notch
*Gives app developers a chance to address the notch

I’m sure it will be a great phone. If so, maybe next year’s refresh will be compelling enough to trade in “early”. If not, I’m sure the jump from 6s (4.7”) to 8 Plus will be more than enough for a couple years.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you had to choose “one” of the 6 options listed in the poll and post #1 , which one would it be?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
1. Too expensive
2. Hate the notch at the top
3. Not eligible for an upgrade
4. Upgrade not compelling enough
5. Switching to a non-Apple smartphone
6. Simply don’t want it.

1. It’s only $200 more that the 8Plus I ordered. I think people are overreacting to the price for what it is.
2. I don’t hate the notch, but feel it is “unfinished” and can be “fixed” with iOS updates. I do “hate” the cell strength indicator on the right. Needs to be moved back to the left
3. I am and did upgrade
4. I think there is a lot of compelling new tech. Just that they haven’t nailed down the processes for building yet (my feeling)
5. Never
6. I do want it. Just not quite enough yet given the other things surrounding it. (Trade in value of 6s, timing if X availability, etc.)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. It’s only $200 more that the 8Plus I ordered. I think people are overreacting to the price for what it is....

Be careful of your use of “only $200 more”. To some people, that’s a heckuva lot of money, and additional burden even when broken down into monthly installments.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Be careful of your use of “only $200 more”. To some people, that’s a heckuva lot of money, and additional burden even when broken down into monthly installments.

I hear you. My point is if you are paying $949 for a 256 GB Plus, $1149 isn’t that much of a stretch. If it is? You probably shouldn’t be buying a $949 iPhone, either.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I hear you. My point is if you are paying $949 for a 256 GB Plus, $1149 isn’t that much of a stretch. If it is? You probably shouldn’t be buying a $949 iPhone, either.

Everyone's budget is different. While an extra $200 may not seem much to you, it may mean the difference between having a nice iPhone or not to others. I got the 64 gb 6s Plus, because my budget didn't allow for the extra $100 for the 128 gb.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 8 instead of the X, I voted too expensive in the poll but I feel I need to qualify that statement... what I’d get for my extra $300 isn’t worth $300 to me.

Do I need a more expensive way to unlock my phone? No.
Do I need an edge to edge screen? Would be nice but no, and the screen on the X is cut-off at both ends anyway.
Do I want a bigger phone than the 8? No, I’d actually like an upgraded SE in an ideal world.
Would I like the better camera on the X (versus the 8)? Yes, it’s the only feature that I’m disappointed to miss out on, but not worth $300 to me.

The other thought that I have is that the X is somewhat of a 1st generation device. I’m quite happy for others to find out the quirks (or bugs) in a new device and I’ll get on board in a year or 2.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I learned a long time ago not to count other people’s money. Can I afford the extra $300- (I like the size of the 8)- yeah I can. I just don’t think it’s $300 plus $70 more for Apple Care better.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 8 instead of the X, I voted too expensive in the poll but I feel I need to qualify that statement... what I’d get for my extra $300 isn’t worth $300 to me.

Do I need a more expensive way to unlock my phone? No.
Do I need an edge to edge screen? Would be nice but no, and the screen on the X is cut-off at both ends anyway.
Do I want a bigger phone than the 8? No, I’d actually like an upgraded SE in an ideal world.
Would I like the better camera on the X (versus the 8)? Yes, it’s the only feature that I’m disappointed to miss out on, but not worth $300 to me.

The other thought that I have is that the X is somewhat of a 1st generation device. I’m quite happy for others to find out the quirks (or bugs) in a new device and I’ll get on board in a year or 2.

I agree the camera upgrade would have been nice. But 99% of the time I take a quick photo of something. Probably wouldn’t remember to put it on portrait mode anyway.

jsteg94

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
Never thought I'd say this, but I wish they would've designed it more like Samsung (in other words: no notch -- just slim bezels). Besides from an aesthetic perspective, I'm worried that the user experience will be worse (such as viewing websites in landscape with the scroll bar). If I'm being honest with myself though, I'd never spend $1,000 on a phone.