View Poll Results: Poll: Why aren’t you getting an iPhone X?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too expensive

10 50.00%
  • Hate the notch at the top

2 10.00%
  • Not eligible for an upgrade

2 10.00%
  • Not a compelling upgrade

2 10.00%
  • Switching to a non-Apple smartphone

2 10.00%
  • Simply don’t want it.

2 10.00%
    I also commented on this a couple of weeks back, but I am not so sure anymore that we are correct. Apple is reporting the max brightness as a typical maximum brightness. Do we know how Samsung is reporting theirs? The reason why I ask is because the theoretical limit of 1000 nits on the S8/+ or the 1200 nits on the Note8 may be peak brightness only (not typical), meaning that it can be hit only under certain specific conditions. Don't assume that we are comparing apples to apples here, no pun intended.
    Fair comment, but I watch a lot of tech videos on YouTube and it’s well known that there is quite a difference between the iPhone and several other handsets when it comes to brightness, the biggest difference being the Galaxy series. It might not be as black and white as the figures suggest but there is a difference, and to my eye’s it’s pretty obvious.
    10-10-2017 03:00 PM
    Fair comment, but I watch a lot of tech videos on YouTube and it’s well known that there is quite a difference between the iPhone and several other handsets when it comes to brightness, the biggest difference being the Galaxy series. It might not be as black and white as the figures suggest but there is a difference, and to my eye’s it’s pretty obvious.
    You could very well be correct. I have an S8+ and it does get quite bright, but when you are hitting typical peak brightness levels (you normally get this when outdoors in bright sun), there is massive distortion to color accuracy. The only mode in fact that supports this "peak brightness" is the Adaptive mode and that mode is known to not be color accurate (it's the equivalent of using Dynamic picture mode of a TV - usually involving a heavy shift to blue color spectrum).

Where the peak brightness really matters under accurate color reproduction modes is in HDR playback where you need the peak brightness to achieve the required dynamic range. This can only be achieved on the Cinema mode or Basic mode on the S8/+ series and the typical peak brightness in those modes never really gets as high as in Adaptive mode.

All in all, interesting times. I want to see how they compare in person because I just cannot believe that Samsung would neuter the iPhone display so badly unless Apple intentionally limited it to keep the battery drain to an acceptable level (maximum brightness on the S8+ for instance drains the battery like crazy, especially when OLED display is displaying bright or white content - this is by the way a known issue with OLED).
    10-10-2017 03:04 PM
    You could very well be correct. I have an S8+ and it does get quite bright, but when you are hitting typical peak brightness levels (you normally get this when outdoors in bright sun), there is massive distortion to color accuracy. The only mode in fact that supports this "peak brightness" is the Adaptive mode and that mode is known to not be color accurate (it's the equivalent of using Dynamic picture mode of a TV - usually involving a heavy shift to blue color spectrum).
    Ok you lost me there

My main point was the “competition” are already producing better, bigger, brighter screens with equivalent or higher resolution. Just my opinion of course! I have chosen to stick with the 8+, too many small issues with the X that I just can’t look past especially at £1000!!!

I’m still being tempted by the Pixel 2 XL and Note 8 to be honest, there are 2 things holding me back and that’s the Apple Watch, and the eco system which all my family use. I’m in no rush and I think the 8+ is a brilliant handset
    dejanh likes this.
    10-10-2017 03:09 PM
    I'm one of the two "Simply don’t want it" votes. I'm still happy with the 7 Plus.
    Nubwy likes this.
    10-10-2017 04:12 PM
    #6 . Work as a driver of a food delivery truck. Would have to buy a second phone (probably SE) to give to customers so they can talk to my warehouse. Already people are messing with my 7 Plus. Good thing the Speck case is a good one. Plus “I” think $1500 for it is a little too much for now. Maybe I’ll pick up next year’s iPhone 9 or XI, or whatever it’s called.

Hope who’s ever getting the X doesn’t have to wait that long.
    Last edited by Abu Khadija; 10-10-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    10-10-2017 04:24 PM
    I’m personally not interested in the design. It’s not a fully developed design and I think the technology is still two years away from being fully realized. My iPhone 7 can do everything the X can do minus the facial features and wireless charging (native at least, you can buy chargers for the 7). It’s just not worth the upgrade. I also dislike OLED screensz
    10-23-2017 08:19 PM
    1 and 6
    I don’t like the style. The notch bothers me. No Touch ID. Should be given a choice. I don’t like facial recognition. I like the iPhone form factor and the bezel. I love my 7+. Left Samsung after the Note 7 debacle.
    I went all in with Apple. If I do upgrade it will be the 8+ but I am ok for now. Got a great trade in on the Note5 I switched into from the 7.
    I am paying on the series 3 Watch
    10-25-2017 11:39 PM
    Please vote in the above poll as well as offer comments about your decision in this thread. Thank you.

To the members who are using Tapatalk or the iMore Forums app, the choices are as follows:

1. Too expensive
    2. Hate the notch at the top
    3. Not eligible for an upgrade
    4. Upgrade not compelling enough
    5. Switching to a non-Apple smartphone
    6. Simply don’t want it.
    I love this Question!!!!
    10-26-2017 12:25 AM
58 123