I was really looking forward to the new IPhone X with the new screen to be able to see the screen easier outside in the sun. But after reading Forbes link below I’m wondering if I should just wait until next year. According to them the IPhone X will be almost half as bright as the Note 8. As the iPhone 8plus really isn’t anything better than what I already have imo. I really like IOS and not having the slow down like I did with android or the reboots.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...s-problem/amp/
    09-24-2017 04:47 PM
    I heard that the OLED isn’t going to be as bright as the Note 8. I sure hope it’ll be good!
    09-24-2017 06:22 PM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus. I'll take the iPhone screen any day over my Galaxy. I've already had to have my Galaxy repaired due to image retention within 3 months of having it. Now it wasn't the screen that was the problem but something internal that was the problem.

The phone screen on your Galaxy was way to bright. It actually distorted images and wallpapers. Some people don't mind the brightness and over saturated images. I prefer my images to look natural which my iPhone does a better job.

This was also part of the reason I stayed away from the iPhone X. I realize eventually it will be coming to all phones but I will delay it for awhile till it is perfected hopefully.
    09-24-2017 06:36 PM
    Isn't the amount of nits on the new X screen and the current iPhones about the same? I look at it this way, if we've been fine with the brightness of our current devices, we should be fine with the same amount of brightness on the new X screen. I understand the comparison to the Note8, but I've been content with the brightness I have on my 7 Plus.
    Savoy likes this.
    09-25-2017 09:19 AM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus. I'll take the iPhone screen any day over my Galaxy. I've already had to have my Galaxy repaired due to image retention within 3 months of having it. Now it wasn't the screen that was the problem but something internal that was the problem.

The phone screen on your Galaxy was way to bright. It actually distorted images and wallpapers. Some people don't mind the brightness and over saturated images. I prefer my images to look natural which my iPhone does a better job.

This was also part of the reason I stayed away from the iPhone X. I realize eventually it will be coming to all phones but I will delay it for awhile till it is perfected hopefully.
    The S8 can actually get darker then iPhone and brighter..
    09-25-2017 11:53 AM
    The maximum brightness is only going to be 600 nits, which is really dim. The Note 8 can get up to 1200 nits. I don't know why Apple decided to scale back the brightness. Doesn't bode well for outdoor viewing.
    09-25-2017 06:26 PM
    Isn't the amount of nits on the new X screen and the current iPhones about the same?
    Yeah, the screen brightness is the same as the iPhone 7. Im not worried about the brightness specs. We have been happy so far with the brightness so i cant imagine why we wouldn't be now. I know the Galaxy Note 8 has something silly like 1,000 + nits but most of the time my brightness is set to 50% or lower anyway.

Screen Brightness Specs:

• iPhone 6s - 500 cd/m2
    • iPhone 7 - 625 cd/m2
    • iPhone 8 - 625 cd/m2
    • iPhone X - 625 cd/m2
    • Galaxy Note 8 - 1000 cd/m2
    tcuprof likes this.
    09-26-2017 10:56 AM
    Thanks for posting that Matty. I've been perfectly happy with the brightness on my 6s, so I don't anticipate any problems.
    Matty likes this.
    09-26-2017 01:48 PM
    I'm not really worried about it as long as it's at least as bright as the OLED screens on previous android devices I've had over the years. I never had any issues with those so I'm sure the X will be just fine. As a matter of fact I just looked them up and the figures posted above are like double what my last OLED screen had so yeah not worried for sure.
    09-26-2017 03:53 PM
    Yeah, the screen brightness is the same as the iPhone 7. Im not worried about the brightness specs. We have been happy so far with the brightness so i cant imagine why we wouldn't be now. I know the Galaxy Note 8 has something silly like 1,000 + nits but most of the time my brightness is set to 50% or lower anyway.

Screen Brightness Specs:

• iPhone 6s - 500 cd/m2
    • iPhone 7 - 625 cd/m2
    • iPhone 8 - 625 cd/m2
    • iPhone X - 625 cd/m2
    • Galaxy Note 8 - 1000 cd/m2
    It would’ve been nice if it can reach 800 nits.
    09-26-2017 05:01 PM
    I've also been wondering why Apple went with such a low nits when Samsung has brighter screens.
    09-26-2017 07:32 PM
    I've also been wondering why Apple went with such a low nits when Samsung has brighter screens.
    They probably think it’s unnecessary.
    1000 nits on the iPhone just like how it is with the Watch would be super nice.
    09-26-2017 07:54 PM
    It would’ve been nice if it can reach 800 nits.
    Technically the iPhone 6s can reach 1,500nits. It's called "Retina Flash". So this means the iPhone 8 display is able to produce a much higher brightness (over 1,000 nits) but I'm sure it's detrimental to the battery life and probably why Apple tone it down for regular use. Here is a quote from the Apple Keynote

"Apple touted a custom display driver during Wednesday's keynote that can jack the display's brightness up three times higher than it normally operates at" - http://iphone.appleinsider.com/artic...-the-iphone-6s
    09-27-2017 04:32 AM
    Technically the iPhone 6s can reach 1,500nits. It's called "Retina Flash". So this means the iPhone 8 display is able to produce a much higher brightness (over 1,000 nits) but I'm sure it's detrimental to the battery life and probably why Apple tone it down for regular use. Here is a quote from the Apple Keynote

"Apple touted a custom display driver during Wednesday's keynote that can jack the display's brightness up three times higher than it normally operates at" - http://iphone.appleinsider.com/artic...-the-iphone-6s
    I thought so too!
    I’m sure they’ll increase it in the long run.
    Matty likes this.
    09-27-2017 04:58 AM