Anyone interested in the Galaxy Note 8 instead of iPhone X?

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
It’s always nice to have the best of both worlds.
As of late, I can no longer be bothered switching between the two platforms. Apple 100%

I do love Samsung’s design and display!
It certainly is exhausting switching around and I'd had my 6s plus for a year and a half and thought I was content in my little ecosystem with my iPad mini 4 and iMac until I saw the Note 8. Couldn't resist.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The Note looks like a really good phone, but I will get an iPhone. I use a Mac, and I enjoy having my two devices in the same ecosystem; iMessages, Photos, Reminders, Notes, iCloud Drive, Music etc. There is much parity among devices these days, so I see little value in ecosystem changes. I have gone over to Android and Windows at varying times in recent years, but it doesn't really work out for me, so I am done experimenting.

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I hear ya. I just got bored. The uses of the ecosystem are invaluable though. I do miss that. But damn this phone is nice lol

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya. I just got bored. The uses of the ecosystem are invaluable though. I do miss that. But damn this phone is nice lol

I imagine so. It is everything I want in a phone except it runs Android. I prefer it to what I 'think' the iPhone X to be for numerous reasons.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I usually go back and forth between Android and iOS. I like both OS and I understand the strengths and weaknesses of both. However, I have learned that I usually go back to iOS because of the app experience and ecosystem. Honestly, I’m a little exhausted of switching ecosystems purely because of how a device looks when at the end of the day the look of the device won’t keep me around if I’m missing some functionality.

So what I am saying is that while I love when devices look sleek and push the design limits, I’m being more practical because at the end of the day I’m going to be doing the same activities and using the same apps. So it makes sense for me to stick to (what I consider) the more cohesive app and ecosystem experience where most of my friends and family are also in. Not that one is better than another but just a more practical choice for me right now to stick with iOS.

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I usually go back and forth between Android and iOS. I like both OS and I understand the strengths and weaknesses of both. However, I have learned that I usually go back to iOS because of the app experience and ecosystem. Honestly, I’m a little exhausted of switching ecosystems purely because of how a device looks when at the end of the day the look of the device won’t keep me around if I’m missing some functionality.

So what I am saying is that while I love when devices look sleek and push the design limits, I’m being more practical because at the end of the day I’m going to be doing the same activities and using the same apps. So it makes sense for me to stick to (what I consider) the more cohesive app and ecosystem experience where most of my friends and family are also in. Not that one is better than another but just a more practical choice for me right now to stick with iOS.
Both phones do what I need but this one does extra stuff I've grown to love. Being that I can still FaceTime and approve apps for my kids on my ipad I figure why not have the "fun phone." The picture in picture feature is something I've grown to need on my phone. Yes I can do it on my ipad mini 4 too but I'd rather not lug that around. This phone is way more fun as far as customizing and PIP. I don't know. I got bored with my iPhone. Yes it has better app quality and the ecosystem with my Mac and iPad but I'm getting along just fine without it and loving this funner phone. And yes I know that's not a real word lol. If it is it shouldn't be lol

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
That’s a NO for 2 major reasons: iMessage and apps. Not going back until android apps get as good as iOS have iMessage support

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
While I like Samsung's hardware, even when I used Android for a number of years I avoided Samsung like the plague because of the skin they use over Android (used to be Touchwiz now it's something different on the 8 series phones). I prefer Google's vision for Android styling if I'm going to use an Android device. Once Android 4 came out the OS had a much better look than the old days which was what originally drove OEM's to skin those old versions of Android to fix some shortcomings and also to be different.

I also learned after checking out the new S8 and S8 Plus that my parents upgraded their S5's to a couple weeks ago that I don't actually like Samsung's curve edge design. It feels nice, but leaves an ugly visual distortion on those edges. I'd rather just have a super thin bezel like the X.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I purchased a Note 8 and I'll be hanging onto it. The Note 8 is actually bezel-less while the X has a small bezel around the whole screen. The Note 8 also doesn't have that terrible notch. I can watch full-screen videos without that added distraction. The Note 8 is available now. I was able to walk into a T-Mobile store with no problems getting one. People will be waiting months to get the iPhone X.

I will be getting an 8 Plus, though, to satisfy my iOS needs for the next year.

bbf18d9458306dd473baf1ce400c04d4.jpg

This doesn’t look bezel-less to me. There’s clearly a forehead and chin albeit a lot smaller but still there.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
While I like Samsung's hardware, even when I used Android for a number of years I avoided Samsung like the plague because of the skin they use over Android (used to be Touchwiz now it's something different on the 8 series phones). I prefer Google's vision for Android styling if I'm going to use an Android device. Once Android 4 came out the OS had a much better look than the old days which was what originally drove OEM's to skin those old versions of Android to fix some shortcomings and also to be different.

I also learned after checking out the new S8 and S8 Plus that my parents upgraded their S5's to a couple weeks ago that I don't actually like Samsung's curve edge design. It feels nice, but leaves an ugly visual distortion on those edges. I'd rather just have a super thin bezel like the X.

If I had to recommend Android to someone, I’d tell them to get a Pixel. Stock Android beats TouchWiz every time.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
You couldn’t pay me to give Samsung more money for their tech. The degradation factor is off the charts.

The batteries in the S8/S8+/Note 8 will only degrade by 5% in a year, vs 20% degradation after 500 charge cycles in iPhones.
The Galaxy S8's new battery will degrade less quickly than the Galaxy S7's

Not trying to sound like a Samsung shill, but that's quite impressive.

With that being said, I'm still picking up an iPhone 8 Plus or the X sometime in the future.

newtoios

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Not me... I was a die hard android fan until I got sick of my android phones becoming laggy and glitchy after awhile. Bought my 1st iPhone (7+) and haven’t looked back.

The only thing I missed was the gorgeous oled screens.... which with the iPhone X will have...

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Not me... I was a die hard android fan until I got sick of my android phones becoming laggy and glitchy after awhile. Bought my 1st iPhone (7+) and haven’t looked back.

The only thing I missed was the gorgeous oled screens.... which with the iPhone X will have...

I do miss Samsung’s OLED displays.
The OLED on the X is one of the reason why I want the iPhone X.
If only Apple amped up the resolution to 2K, that would be super cool!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox