Is the iPhone 8 a failure?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You know me - I like to stir the pot a bit....... I can’t help it! With that in mind, some people are seeming the iPhone 8 models a failure because there aren’t any widespread reports of Apple or the carriers being sold out of them. Some people even say that because the ‘design’ of the iPhone 8 models is the same as the iPhone 6 models, people simply don’t want them and thus call it a failure. Could they be right? Sure. Could they be wrong? Sure. Apple will without a doubt a lot of iPhone models in bunches. Some people will buy the iPhone 8, others will buy the iPhone 8 Plus and a good deal will buy the iPhone X. Apple wins, regardless. It can also be argued that some of the people who are waiting to buy the iPhone X may opt for the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus if they are unable to pre-order it the day it goes on sale or if they have a long wait time to receive it. What are your thoughts about it?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the only reason they could be seen as a failure would be because of the iPhone X. If that wasn’t an option I think they’d be selling a lot better but since the X is looming overhead most people are looking forward to that.

Last edited:

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the only reason they could be seen as a failure would be because of the iPhone X. If that wasn’t an option I think they’d be selling a lot better but since the X is looking overhead most people are looking forward to that.

I second this statement

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Much like there is a niche for people who prefer a physical keyboard or wired headphones, there will be millions that still want a HOME button like myself.....for now anyway.

I think many are holding out for the X but the 8 will do fine.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm still wondering why it wasn't because it completely went against apple's precedent for naming their phones.

Marketing. I imagine their focus groups and marketing research showed they’d sell more if they call it iPhone 8. I honestly believe the jump from iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 is being undervalued. Yes, it looks similar but iPhone 8 is a beast. The jump between iPhone 8 and iPhone X, on the other hand, is very much cosmetic.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I think the only reason they could be seen as a failure would be because of the iPhone X. If that wasn’t an option I think they’d be selling a lot better but since the X is looming overhead most people are looking forward to that.

Agree, but according to Tim cook, the iPhone 8 sales are apparently going pretty good...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I saw a news report on reviews from customers. They said there were a lot of complaints because many thought the 8 and 8 Plus were no different from the 7 and 7 Plus. These customers were not geeks or Apple fanboys who frequent forums. Just your average Joe and Sally in the wild.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let’s say for example’s sake that Apple typically sells 10 million iPhones per year. When it was just one iPhone, the amount sold was a no brainer. When they begin selling 2 different sizes, 5 million bought the smaller size and 5 million bought the Plus size which still brought the sales total to 10 million. This year, there’s a third option which happens to be designed like no other iPhone before it. It’s safe to assume that they’ll sell 10 million iPhones this year, but what is uncertain is how much of each model will be sold. Even if the sales figure turns out to be in thirds, they’ll still reach their annual goal of 10 million sold. Does that mean the the individual devices are a failure simply because they didn’t outsell the other?

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
You know me - I like to stir the pot a bit....... I can’t help it! With that in mind, some people are seeming the iPhone 8 models a failure because there aren’t any widespread reports of Apple or the carriers being sold out of them. Some people even say that because the ‘design’ of the iPhone 8 models is the same as the iPhone 6 models, people simply don’t want them and thus call it a failure. Could they be right? Sure. Could they be wrong? Sure. Apple will without a doubt a lot of iPhone models in bunches. Some people will buy the iPhone 8, others will buy the iPhone 8 Plus and a good deal will buy the iPhone X. Apple wins, regardless. It can also be argued that some of the people who are waiting to buy the iPhone X may opt for the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus if they are unable to pre-order it the day it goes on sale or if they have a long wait time to receive it. What are your thoughts about it?

I think time will tell. I have the 7 and after seeing the 8 nothing about it has made me intrigued to purchase it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think time will tell. I have the 7 and after seeing the 8 nothing about it has made me intrigued to purchase it.

I understand. There was nothing about it that ‘intrigued’ me, but because I typically get a new iPhone every year, I chose it, and now that I have it, I’m glad I went ahead and purchased it. Know what I mean?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Let’s say for example’s sake that Apple typically sells 10 million iPhones per year. When it was just one iPhone, the amount sold was a no brainer. When they begin selling 2 different sizes, 5 million bought the smaller size and 5 million bought the Plus size which still brought the sales total to 10 million. This year, there’s a third option which happens to be designed like no other iPhone before it. It’s safe to assume that they’ll sell 10 million iPhones this year, but what is uncertain is how much of each model will be sold. Even if the sales figure turns out to be in thirds, they’ll still reach their annual goal of 10 million sold. Does that mean the the individual devices are a failure simply because they didn’t outsell the other?

That's like if one model offers 2 colors, and each gets 50% of that models sales. Then that model offers 3 colors, and each get 33% of the sales. It doesn't mean sales are lacky.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the iphone 8 is a failure, but the fact that there was actual stock at stores and there is still stock at stores over a week later indicates that users were not as pumped about the new iterative design going on 4 years. Yes its slightly different but when apple users are used to new designs every 2 years and they get a rehash on year 3 and warmed over on year 4 (aside from some of the updates internally). I also don't entirely believe that the X is holding up people from buying the 8. For me the 8 Plus would have been my purchase if not fro the X. The reason for the X is a size that fits between the 8 and 8 plus but is all screen. I want the same screen space I get on my 7 plus today just not a big phone. If they did that with the 8Plus and no X I would have bought it. Not a dud but not what they are used to.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the iphone 8 is a failure, but the fact that there was actual stock at stores and there is still stock at stores over a week later indicates that users were not as pumped about the new iterative design going on 4 years. Yes its slightly different but when apple users are used to new designs every 2 years and they get a rehash on year 3 and warmed over on year 4 (aside from some of the updates internally). I also don't entirely believe that the X is holding up people from buying the 8. For me the 8 Plus would have been my purchase if not fro the X. The reason for the X is a size that fits between the 8 and 8 plus but is all screen. I want the same screen space I get on my 7 plus today just not a big phone. If they did that with the 8Plus and no X I would have bought it. Not a dud but not what they are used to.

If Apple had not included the iPhone X, I believe the sales of both the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus would be much more than they currently are. I also don’t believe that having the same design as the previous few iPhone iterations is why the majority are not buying it. Those folks, in my opinion, simply want the newest flagship model - the one with the edge to edge display. It’s the only reason I even consider buying it. But hey, we all have our opinions, right?....

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
If Apple had not included the iPhone X, I believe the sales of both the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus would be much more than they currently are. I also don’t believe that having the same design as the previous few iPhone iterations is why the majority are not buying it. Those folks, in my opinion, simply want the newest flagship model - the one with the edge to edge display. It’s the only reason I even consider buying it. But hey, we all have our opinions, right?....

I think it’s a mix between it being an incremental upgrade and the iPhone X. More so the iPhone X, but the 8 being very lack luster is a reason as well.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 8/8 Plus went on sale yesterday & I saw 4 of them, not including mine, in the barbershop today & there was also a line at Best Buy this afternoon. Regardless of what we hear, people are buying them. I’m not one that pays much attention to speculation/rumors, but it seems like people try to find the negative in any company that’s doing too well for their liking. There’s always something they want to speculate about. Apple, Samsung, Nike, the list goes on and on. These companies should be almost bankrupt by now because they don’t sell much anymore, right? Lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 8/8 Plus went on sale yesterday & I saw 4 of them, not including mine, in the barbershop today & there was also a line at Best Buy this afternoon. Regardless of what we hear, people are buying them. I’m not one that pays much attention to speculation/rumors, but it seems like people try to find the negative in any company that’s doing too well for their liking. There’s always something they want to speculate about. Apple, Samsung, Nike, the list goes on and on. These companies should be almost bankrupt by now because they don’t sell much anymore, right? Lol

You’re right. People are indeed out buying them. In fact, when I was out and about earlier today, several people noticed my iPhone, and one guy asked if it was the new iPhone 8. Although I have the silver model, it looks like a pearl white in daylight.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Discussions like these (i.e. “I’m not impressed with the iPhone 8”) always bring me back to this very basic question: What else would you like your iPhone to do that it doesn’t already do? I mean, the iPhone 8 can take on a 13-inch MacBook Pro. It benchmarks higher than literally every other smartphone on the market, including the Note 8. I would be buying one in a heartbeat if I wasn’t waiting on the iPhone X.

I’m not being argumentative. I’d really like to know what would have caused everyone to be intrigued by the iPhone 8. Where did it fall short?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Discussions like these (i.e. “I’m not impressed with the iPhone 8”) always bring me back to this very basic question: What else would you like your iPhone to do that it doesn’t already do? I mean, the iPhone 8 can take on a 13-inch MacBook Pro. It benchmarks higher than literally every other smartphone on the market, including the Note 8. I would be buying one in a heartbeat if I wasn’t waiting on the iPhone X.

I’m not being argumentative. I’d really like to know what would have caused everyone to be intrigued by the iPhone 8. Where did it fall short?

It’s an iPhone! Let people tell it, Apple falls short every year because there aren’t any HUGE/gimmicky changes to it.

Personally, I just look for features that work for my lifestyle. I was intrigued by the 8 because it’s glass, which I love!! I also wanted a smaller device, since carrying around 2 pluses has become a pain! Everything else is just an added bonus.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711