Sen. Franken Presses Apple to Address Privacy Concerns over iPhone X’s “Face ID” Technology

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Sen. Franken Presses Apple to Address Privacy Concerns over iPhone X’s “Face ID” Technology

"I am writing to request more information on Face ID - Apple's new facial recognition system and the core feature of the recently unveiled iPhone X," wrote Sen. Franken. "While details on the device and its reliance on facial recognition technology are still emerging, I am encouraged by the steps that Apple states it has taken to implement the system responsibly. However, substantial questions remain about how Face ID will impact iPhone users' privacy and security, and whether the technology will perform equally well on different groups of people. To offer clarity to the millions of Americans who use your products, I ask that you provide more information on how the company has processed these issues internally, as well as any additional steps that it intends to take to protect its users."

https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=3759

https://www.franken.senate.gov/files/letter/170913_AppleFaceID.pdf

My 2-cents, I think Apple has already covered this and has a proven track record of protecting our information.

Your opinion?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’m pretty sure Apple has tested the privacy issue, since they aren’t the first that has done facial recognition. IMO, the Senator seems to be implying that Apple may not have tested Face ID with a diverse group of people and this is definitely valid. Hopefully they have, seeing as light hits darker shades a bit different. This will be interesting to see what their response is.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I understand he made the same request back when Touch ID was introduced. Given the tech committee he chairs, it's pretty much his responsibility to make such a request.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So he’s basically asking Apple to come out and say, “We’ve tested face ID on black people and it works just as good!”

This feels like a “talk about diversity” angle. Kinda a weird thing to ask a company like Apple to come out and say.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So he’s basically asking Apple to come out and say, “We’ve tested face ID on black people and it works just as good!”

This feels like a “talk about diversity” angle. Kinda a weird thing to ask a company like Apple to come out and say.

Don’t forget the yellow people!!!
And Asians.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2