FaceID Will Be Perfectly Fine

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
At first I thought FaceID would be ridiculous. Then I did a little experiment over the last few days. I kept track of how many times I unlocked my iPhone 7 with TouchID and then DID NOT look at the screen.

I came to the conclusion that I don't unlock my phone when I don't have a reason to use it. If I have a reason to use it, more often than not I have a reason to look at it.

So I know that's one opinion but it's seems logical? I think? But who knows...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
And don’t Apple know it..
Those people over there are using also smartphones, if not all of them are using iPhones.

They know almost exactly what’s ticking under their users.
Once the iPhone X hits the shelves and people are using it widespread, it will be easier to conclude if it was a good choice to implement Face ID the way they did.
Time will tell.

Debating about it beforehand, in my humble opinion, is just a waste of time.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think FaceID will be different and will take some getting used to. I don’t think it’s going to improve or ruin our lives...the way we unlock our phones and use Apple Pay will just be slightly different.

We’re creatures of habit and this is the first iPhone over 10 years without a home button so naturally some people are going to take it very personally. This isn’t at all unlike last year at this time when the forum was flooded with “They took our headphone jack!” threads. Many got very upset but then the vast majority eventually accepted it and moved on.

Last edited:

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
At first I thought FaceID would be ridiculous. Then I did a little experiment over the last few days. I kept track of how many times I unlocked my iPhone 7 with TouchID and then DID NOT look at the screen.

I came to the conclusion that I don't unlock my phone when I don't have a reason to use it. If I have a reason to use it, more often than not I have a reason to look at it.

You now you brought a good point. If I touch the home button on my IP 7 I am 99% looking at my phone and unlocking it. It will take a bit to get used to as it was with the new home button/sensor on my IP 7.

Jack bquick

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Me being the non conformist I am if I get a 10 I will try to not use my face at all if I can. I will start with trying to enroll a couple fingers only, then maybe my hand set a certain way, then maybe I will try my face with my hand over some of it with my tongue out a little and with only one eye open slightly. Or I will just contort my face somehow like sticking out tongue with my mouth open and 1 eye closed. Or some other unique face that isn't my normal face. This is a security measure so someone can't just hold my phone up to face and it unlock. I don't want to use just my walking around face to unlock the phone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m curious , for example :

Will it work with my half face stuck in the pillow early in the morning or late at night ? :)

I almost didn’t recognize you with your new nickname.

To answer your question, I don’t think it will.
We will know for sure when people actually have their iPhone X and will start toying around with Face ID.

Last edited:

Jack bquick

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Here is something else that could be a concern. It is going to take 6 different sensors to verify your face every time you want to unlock your phone. If even one of those sensors fails somehow, they have the regular camera down pretty good but the other sensors are pretty new or maybe you crack or scratch the glass across the sensors and it can't recognize you anymore cause of the crack or failure, you will have to go back to the passcode till you can get it fixed which is more time without the phone. I guess we will find out these after they hit the street.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is something else that could be a concern. It is going to take 6 different sensors to verify your face every time you want to unlock your phone. If even one of those sensors fails somehow, they have the regular camera down pretty good but the other sensors are pretty new or maybe you crack or scratch the glass across the sensors and it can't recognize you anymore cause of the crack or failure, you will have to go back to the passcode till you can get it fixed which is more time without the phone. I guess we will find out these after they hit the street.

But that’s really no different than if the TouchID sensor goes out. And it’s much easier to get to the camera array than the TouchID sensor. Less parts to remove at least.

Jack bquick

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
The Touch ID is 1 sensor not 6 and it has been around and proven for a pretty long time. I work with IR sensors in my job and they are not as reliable as regular camera sensors. And the dot projector sensor I have no idea how reliable it is. The glass cracking or scratching has no effect on the Touch ID it may on the face ID just because it may impair the view of the working sensor. Just saying just 1 of the of the six sensors goes bad or gets impaired the face I'd my not work but we will see if it becomes an issue in the near future. I think I'm going to wait a little while to see some reviews before I take the plung into the X.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm very wary about facial recognition to unlock phones. I walk around and use my phone a lot, and back when I had a phone with facial recognition, it was super annoying to try to walk around and at the same time have to hold my phone at an angle that could scan my face to unlock the phone. It was annoying to always have to be looking at the phone in order to unlock it. With Touch ID, I can unlock my phone before I even take it completely out of my pocket. I don't have to be looking at the phone at all as Touch ID is so easy and mindless. As soon as I look at the phone it's ready to use--before that, even. I don't see how Apple can jump that ease-of-use hurdle with facial recognition.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site

What about off angle usage? At home I often have my phone on my desk with something like Touch ID I could leave it on my desk while I quickly navigate to what I wanted without having to pick up the phone.
I dunno about face ID but with the iris scanner of the galaxy s8 I have to pick up the phone to use its iris scanning

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
If a normal password can be used then I'm good to go.

I can see someone picking up my iPhone X and facing it toward me to unlock. No bueno.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My concern would be security,my security in particular, and I was not thinking of scammers or robbers,but governments. I really don't want to be involved with a scheme where I would leave a permanent record of exactly how I looked, so that any street camera anywhere in the world could find me and report my whereabouts and over time my direction of travel.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My concern would be security,my security in particular, and I was not thinking of scammers or robbers,but governments. I really don't want to be involved with a scheme where I would leave a permanent record of exactly how I looked, so that any street camera anywhere in the world could find me and report my whereabouts and over time my direction of travel.

•Your license plate is registered on your name, all roads have cctv. They see exactly when you ride up or leave an highway.
•Street cams see where you parked your car.
•If you use public transportation you most likely have some sort of card to check in and out of the bus train and whatnot. Chances are that card is registered on your name..
•You’re paying with your credit card when you buy stuff.
•Your phone is registered on your name, cell towers know exactly where you are.

Do I need to go on?

Your FaceID is saved locally on the secure enclave on your iPhone. It is in no way communicated to Apple and it’s for now impossible to read the secure enclave out by anybody, even for Apple.

I think the last thing you have to worry about is FaceID if your concern is the Government.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm very wary about facial recognition to unlock phones. I walk around and use my phone a lot, and back when I had a phone with facial recognition, it was super annoying to try to walk around and at the same time have to hold my phone at an angle that could scan my face to unlock the phone. It was annoying to always have to be looking at the phone in order to unlock it. With Touch ID, I can unlock my phone before I even take it completely out of my pocket. I don't have to be looking at the phone at all as Touch ID is so easy and mindless. As soon as I look at the phone it's ready to use--before that, even. I don't see how Apple can jump that ease-of-use hurdle with facial recognition.

Well, they really cannot. Facial recognition will never be able to be used as you are bringing the phone to your face because, after all, it is recognizing your face to unlock, which means that it needs to see your face (obvious is obvious :)). Therefore, without Touch ID you can forget about pulling your phone out of your pocket ready to dial the second you bring it up to your field of vision, now or in the future.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Even if you choose to use a PIN/PW to unlock, the technology used in the sensor can be assigned a plethora of tasks that no other device can do. When Siri can't hear you when the wind is blowing or you're next to a 120 decibel jackhammer she will be able to read your lips! Or turn the phone around to read someone else's lips outside, etc. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods