Strongly Considering Waiting Until XI

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Strongly considering holding off on an iPhone purchase altogether this year. I'm wondering if Apple will solve the fingerprint scanner under glass issue in time for next year's iPhone? I've gotten so used to using fingerprint scanners and change is hard! But knowing Apple, they may very well decide to just go all in with Face ID and never bring back Touch ID on the highest end model. Anyone one else feel the same about the Touch ID issue?

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
That is one issue and I have other issues with X... I don't like the fact it looks just like a Galaxy and the "Notch" is ugly as hell. The Face ID got goofed up in their presentation.. I see a lot of problems with that at the start

I think that the 8+ is a good upgrade and might go that route instead.

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That is one issue and I have other issues with X... I don't like the fact it looks just like a Galaxy and the "Notch" is ugly as hell. The Face ID got goofed up in their presentation.. I see a lot of problems with that at the start

I think that the 8+ is a good upgrade and might go that route instead.

Oh yeah. I definitely agree about that notch. It's such an eyesore. I'm really surprised that Apple went that route. I think a thin strip all the way across the top to accommodate the camera/sensors/speaker would've been a more elegant option.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Oh yeah. I definitely agree about that notch. It's such an eyesore. I'm really surprised that Apple went that route. I think a thin strip all the way across the top to accommodate the camera/sensors/speaker would've been a more elegant option.

But people would call that a "Bezel"... I agree, it would look a lot cleaner and elegant

Restrictive

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I honestly dont believe they'll bring TouchID back, from the looks of it purchasing companies in order to get the FaceID tech, FaceID was always the ultimate end goal. The problems with the fingerprint under the display but made the transition happen sooner rather than latter.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I think Apple is moving away from the finger print sensor in the long term given how much they hyped faceid and it will allow them to get more screen in a smaller package.

Another question is will there be an XI will it be Xs ot will the 8S get the bennies inatead.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am all in on the new X model, I have always liked the swipe and gesture concept from my Blackberry 10 days.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I love the design of the X so I would really like to get one but I think I’m going to wait. I got my iPhone 7 in late November so I’d hate to give it up so soon since Verizon is paying the phone off for me. If I was paying for the iPhone 7 myself than I’d do it because I will upgrade every two years anyways so I’d just trade it in while it’s worth $300+.

Besides, since it’s all new, I’ll let them work the kinks out for once. I usually become the tester, lol. I do want to replace my Roku Ultra with an Apple TV 4K 32GB and buy an Apple Watch Series 3 but not quite sure when yet.

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I am keeping my iPhone 7 Plus while considering Android alternatives. The "notch/ears" might be indicative of a fundamental shift in Apple design philosophy. The home button was a functional user interface innovation that became representative of the iPhone brand. Its purpose was to allow users to interact with the device simply and easily. The "notch/ears" serves no purpose other than to visually differentiate the iPhone X from other flagship phones in order make it recognizable. In insisting that developers not hide the "notch/ears," Apple is putting branding before functionality. If that is the future of the iPhone, then it is time to look for alternatives.

rmaximo2

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
I am keeping my iPhone 7 Plus while considering Android alternatives. The "notch/ears" might be indicative of a fundamental shift in Apple design philosophy. The home button was a functional user interface innovation that became representative of the iPhone brand. Its purpose was to allow users to interact with the device simply and easily. The "notch/ears" serves no purpose other than to visually differentiate the iPhone X from other flagship phones in order make it recognizable. In insisting that developers not hide the "notch/ears," Apple is putting branding before functionality. If that is the future of the iPhone, then it is time to look for alternatives.

How is giving users the absolute maximum amount of screen real estate on a particular phone NOT a functional design?

In fact, its hyper-functional, to the point that form takes a hit. That's why people are complaining about the design.

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
How is giving users the absolute maximum amount of screen real estate on a particular phone NOT a functional design?

In fact, its hyper-functional, to the point that form takes a hit. That's why people are complaining about the design.

If you find that the "ears" benefit you, then perhaps you will get the iPhone X. I find them neither useful nor aesthetic.

rmaximo2

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
If you find that the "ears" benefit you, then perhaps you will get the iPhone X. I find them neither useful nor aesthetic.

This is the problem! Right there. What basis do you have for saying that this design isn't more useful than previous designs? You've never used this phone, nor a similarly designed phone. Help me understand.

I'll give you this: this is a quirky design, and it may prove to be a flop. But no one outside of Apple has used the thing, while their designers and engineers have been using it (and competing designs) for months.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If it wasn't for the Tenth Year Anniversary (X), Polished Surgical Stainless Steel frame, Edge to Edge Screen and Facial Recognition, I would also probably wait for next year as well...LOL.

Edit; forgot to mention OLED screen as well...LOL

Last edited:

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
This is the problem! Right there. What basis do you have for saying that this design isn't more useful than previous designs? You've never used this phone, nor a similarly designed phone. Help me understand.

I'll give you this: this is a quirky design, and it may prove to be a flop. But no one outside of Apple has used the thing, while their designers and engineers have been using it (and competing designs) for months.

I am sorry that I cannot help you understand. I developed my opinions from my observations of the many available videos and photos. If you get the iPhone X, please let us know if you find the "ears" useful and how they are of benefit to you.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry that I cannot help you understand. I developed my opinions from my observations of the many available videos and photos. If you get the iPhone X, please let us know if you find the "ears" useful and how they are of benefit to you.

I actually find the small area between the "ears" a welcome design change. For years people complained about the large bezels on the iPhone 6 thru 7 and now that Apple has made that area smaller as well as functional, there are still complaints. It's really not about helping someone else understand....It is what it is. A functional area that wasn't present on iPhones prior to the iPhone X that does more than camera, ear piece and speaker. The ears are now home for different icons that are useful.
dd52740adc77a3310e49c18cec4cdfd9.png

0c079e9f302b0a20fb7179823d985b3e.png

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I was all about the X until I was not.. seems simple enough. Changed my mind. I wanted to go larger from the 7 to a bit larger screen (old eyes) and I always thought the "plus" was just too big, so the X was the logical choice. But we/I started thinking about the price, the shipping delay, the possibility it won't even deliver on 11/3, and would there be a frenzy at 12:01 am on 10/27. Would I be able to get the 256GB in Space Gray or will there only be 64GB Silver? Plus do I want to pay $150 more, plus $50 more for Apple Care, plus the 10% tax that comes on top of all that, plus case prices are higher, as the 8+, 7+, 6+ cases are vastly available for $10...

Add to that I am not trilled with the notch, but can live with it. I will never use the Animojis as I don't use the stuff the iMessage has now. I want to keep touch ID, etc.. list goes on. Needless to say my raging desire for the X fizzled and jumped ship to the 8+ 256GB Space Gray. My wife gets my Matte Black 7. I too will wait for XI. Best wishes to all those going with the X, I hope I am wrong on all fronts and it's perfect.. I really want it to be a huge success and everyone loves it.. Get your phone, love them, enjoy :) I will be here to read about the new phones and maybe wish I held out too!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Strongly considering holding off on an iPhone purchase altogether this year. I'm wondering if Apple will solve the fingerprint scanner under glass issue in time for next year's iPhone? I've gotten so used to using fingerprint scanners and change is hard! But knowing Apple, they may very well decide to just go all in with Face ID and never bring back Touch ID on the highest end model. Anyone one else feel the same about the Touch ID issue?

By the sounds of Craig F on his FaceID interview, it seems like they are moving away from it all together. I could see it going away completely. With that being said, I think being this is a 1st gen release, it might be smart to wait it out for the "s" model which fixes any hardware issues it may have.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I was all about the X until I was not.. seems simple enough. Changed my mind. I wanted to go larger from the 7 to a bit larger screen (old eyes) and I always thought the "plus" was just too big, so the X was the logical choice. But we/I started thinking about the price, the shipping delay, the possibility it won't even deliver on 11/3, and would there be a frenzy at 12:01 am on 10/27. Would I be able to get the 256GB in Space Gray or will there only be 64GB Silver? Plus do I want to pay $150 more, plus $50 more for Apple Care, plus the 10% tax that comes on top of all that, plus case prices are higher, as the 8+, 7+, 6+ cases are vastly available for $10...

Add to that I am not trilled with the notch, but can live with it. I will never use the Animojis as I don't use the stuff the iMessage has now. I want to keep touch ID, etc.. list goes on. Needless to say my raging desire for the X fizzled and jumped ship to the 8+ 256GB Space Gray. My wife gets my Matte Black 7. I too will wait for XI. Best wishes to all those going with the X, I hope I am wrong on all fronts and it's perfect.. I really want it to be a huge success and everyone loves it.. Get your phone, love them, enjoy :) I will be here to read about the new phones and maybe wish I held out too!

I am hoping the month + wait from announcement to launch will at least have enough for preorders the first few hours, otherwise I can't see why they pushed the preorder date to a later time.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am hoping the month + wait from announcement to launch will at least have enough for preorders the first few hours, otherwise I can't see why they pushed the preorder date to a later time.

Maybe, online rumors (just rumors) like on the Verge yesterday are staying that insiders are noting that basic stock of the X may be pushed back to 2018. I hope they're wrong. But even the 7+ did not have enough stock for launch last year. I wound up getting the 7 and not the 7+ because they were OOS in 15-min.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods