Are you going to miss the home button?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember where I read that, but it was quoted from one of the interviews after the keynote. I think it was either Frederighi or Schiller that said it.

I googled it and there was an article on iMore that said the faceID code is just replacing the touchID so you are right and they won't need a special update.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Definitely will kind of. I was a JBer since the first iPhone. The home button has always been important to me for DFU mode and the app switcher. Then there was the hardware issues on I think the iPhone 4? Anyway ever since then I have had the accessibility Home button on my screen. I’ll give this new setup a chance after all I rock it on my iPad Pro without the accessibilty home button. If I can’t get down with it though hopefully I have a fallback

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
How will all of these apps work now that use touch id to over ride entering your login password each time? You will have to use face ID to sign in to all of your bank apps?? That is so unorthodox and the main reason I will not be getting the X.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
How will all of these apps work now that use touch id to over ride entering your login password each time? You will have to use face ID to sign in to all of your bank apps?? That is so unorthodox and the main reason I will not be getting the X.

The way Apple coded FaceID is that any app that used TouchID as a login automatically works with FaceID. You won't have to do anything differently.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The way Apple coded FaceID is that any app that used TouchID as a login automatically works with FaceID. You won't have to do anything differently.

It will be a lot different....Touch ID vs face ID. I have to raise the phone to my face to unlock an app...Silly in my opinion

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
It will be a lot different....Touch ID vs face ID. I have to raise the phone to my face to unlock an app...Silly in my opinion

Open app, FaceID automatically scans and unlocks. You'll be looking at the phone already if you opened the app. It's not like an Iris scanner or other facial recognition. You don't have to hold the phone right in front of your face. You just look at the screen. Or at least that's supposed to be how it works.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

This is the thing that has been bugging me about people not knowing how FaceID works. Not to single you out popkurn but I've been seeing this alot on every internet thread that I've read. You don't have to raise the phone to your face for FaceID to work it can be laying on a flat surface and your phone will unlock, you can hold it down underneath a table as long as you look at your phone it will unlock. No need to hold it at a specific angle like the S8 or Note 8.

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This is the thing that has been bugging me about people not knowing how FaceID works. Not to single you out popkurn but I've been seeing this alot on every internet thread that I've read. You don't have to raise the phone to your face for FaceID to work it can be laying on a flat surface and your phone will unlock, you can hold it down underneath a table as long as you look at your phone it will unlock. No need to hold it at a specific angle like the S8 or Note 8.

Don't tell people, I want everyone to hate it so I have a chance at getting it launch day ;)

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Time will tell. If face ID is that good, then I’ll be fine. Will probably take time to get use to.

Now that I think about it since I am a technician and always have gloves on the Face ID might actually be more handy than touch ID. And my 18 month old daughter might actually miss touch ID more than I do because she loves pressing the Touch ID on my wife and I iPhone

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You know, if I get the X I think I might potentially miss the home button. I’ve not been exclusively  until the last year+ but I have used devices without a hardware home button. What I’ve never used though is a device without ANY home button (hardware OR software) that relies solely on gestures. That would definitely take some getting used to. But, I know it could be done.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen