To me the issue with FaceID requiring a password during the demo was a Godsend because it brought up a situation I had not thought of.

Due to work requirements I need to have an 11 digit alphanumeric (with 2 special chapters) password to meet the requirements of the device management profile. With TouchID this wasn’t an issue, every once in a while I would need to enter the password most time a finger print was enough. I don’t know about other people but entering a password that long every time (or a lot of times) I unlock the phone is a non-starter.

My wife and two kids have finger prints stored as well so they can access my phone if needed (not every day but often enough) hell.. sometimes I need to pass my phone off to a co-worker to look at something.

From what I have read FaceID will only store one face. If it fails on a face (or faces) so many times it locks out and you need the password. What happens if one of my kids picks up the phone? And then maybe passes the phone to my other kid? Or my wife of hell.. a co-worker..someone just walking by my desk and saying “Oh cool! Is this the new iPhone” and picking it up and then passing it off to another person). Will it quickly lock the phone and require a password? This situation is what happened in the keynote if I understand what apple said later.

In my case I will not have a small pin to enter but a long password that takes a bit to enter. I am not a two thumb speed typist.

I am not going to get into awareness because I really have no idea how this fits into my concern.

The price of the phone doesn’t bother me in the least, the price of apple care+ doesn’t bother me but if the one biometric input is going to be a frustrating experience I am going to have to get the 8 and I really, really don’t want the 8. I want something new to look at and the 8 is more of the same (Still a good phone!!).
    09-14-2017 10:01 AM
    I understand your concerns, and as I understand it, multiple faces will be supported through an update. It’s only on launch that FaceID supports just the one face.
    09-14-2017 01:50 PM
    I understand your concerns, and as I understand it, multiple faces will be supported through an update. It’s only on launch that FaceID supports just the one face.
    Where did you get this information? Could you post a link to an official statement?

Coming back to OP's point, what is brought up is a real issue. I saw Apple's statement this morning and it confirmed what I thought was the case on stage. Any time the phone is woken up and "looks" at a face it is trying to scan it. I too use strong passwords typically. This definitely means that every time the phone is exposed to a few faces and fails to unlock it will go back into password lockout mode. This sucks, plain and simple.
    09-14-2017 02:08 PM
    Where did you get this information? Could you post a link to an official statement?

Coming back to OP's point, what is brought up is a real issue. I saw Apple's statement this morning and it confirmed what I thought was the case on stage. Any time the phone is woken up and "looks" at a face it is trying to scan it. I too use strong passwords typically. This definitely means that every time the phone is exposed to a few faces and fails to unlock it will go back into password lockout mode. This sucks, plain and simple.
    I am trying to remember where I saw it and where the info came from, but I do remember hearing it. As of now, I can’t find anything even semi-official to back it up so I will rephrase my original statement that hopefully FaceID gets updated to use multiple faces per device. I can see why Apple wouldn’t do it, but I can’t see why they wouldn’t update FaceID to allow it given how many people share devices.
    09-14-2017 02:29 PM

That's worth confirming, that could be a deal breaker for many. 1st time your "friends" say.. can I see your phone, they pass it around it's locked out. Not a huge hassle, but one never the less.
    09-14-2017 02:31 PM
    Well.. I know myself and I will buy it anyways. Apple had to have thought of this.. it’s Apple. What I did read was that it locks after two failures.

I can see this in my future “Don’t look at my phone! no.. really DON’T look! Damn it.. my phone feels violated.. again.. do you need phone sensitivity training? Again?” A strange variation of “good touch, bad touch”

Yeah, thats going over well with my wife. My 5 year old will just give me a blank look.
    dejanh likes this.
    09-14-2017 02:44 PM
    Well.. I know myself and I will buy it anyways. Apple had to have thought of this.. it’s Apple. What I did read was that it locks after two failures.

I can see this in my future “Don’t look at my phone! no.. really DON’T look! Damn it.. my phone feels violated.. again.. do you need phone sensitivity training? Again?” A strange variation of “good touch, bad touch”

Yeah, thats going over well with my wife. My 5 year old will just give me a blank look.
    Hahahahahaha. According to the official statement from Apple their demo failed because the phone tried to authenticate too many faces and failed. So yeah, we're in for some interesting times...
    09-14-2017 03:17 PM