Face ID on iPhone X - Love it or hate it?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
More concerning is how easy it is to potentially gain access without noticing. Interestingly Apple said that you have to "pay attention to the phone" but if you watch the Verge hands-on video, at one point in time the video author just casually points the device at the face of the Apple employee to whom the phone was tied to and it unlocks. It happens so subtly and quickly that the author actually comments about this being quite a security risk. Imagine that you are in a nightclub, busy, crowded, somebody swipes the phone out of your pocket then fairly casually points it at your face. By the time you notice anything the phone is unlocked and they're gone. Only remedy seems to be that you have to have your eyes closed, which as you can imagine, is not that practical.

Here is the video for reference https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16291244/new-iphone-x-photos-video-hands-on

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
More concerning is how easy it is to potentially gain access without noticing. Interestingly Apple said that you have to "pay attention to the phone" but if you watch the Verge hands-on video, at one point in time the video author just casually points the device at the face of the Apple employee to whom the phone was tied to and it unlocks. It happens so subtly and quickly that the author actually comments about this being quite a security risk. Imagine that you are in a nightclub, busy, crowded, somebody swipes the phone out of your pocket then fairly casually points it at your face. By the time you notice anything the phone is unlocked and they're gone. Only remedy seems to be that you have to have your eyes closed, which as you can imagine, is not that practical.

Here is the video for reference https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16291244/new-iphone-x-photos-video-hands-on

It may be, but that person won’t have the ability to use the iPhone with his own credentials.
And once the iPhone has been locked after the set duration, he won’t be able to use it at all.

Stealing an iPhone just doesn’t make any sense since iCloud lock has been introduced.

stlcheer

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm ok with FaceID. I'm saving my true opinion for when I actually have it in hand. It's going to take some time to get used to.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
What about turning off my alarm? Now I just press the notification. Will that change?

That will not be any different, unless you have to unlock your phone to turn off your alarm. Mine I turn off from the lock screen, so no difference.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I think they opted for this because there's no way to view notifications on the home screen otherwise. If you pick up your phone to check the time/a notification/whatever, it would insanely unlock.

I have trouble quick-drawing the camera on my 7 because the click on the home button to wake the device also unlocks it before I can swipe left for the camera, so by the time I've opened the camera the deer has bounded away.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think once folks get used to it, they'll like it just as much as Touch ID. It certainly would not be a factor in my purchasing decision.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have trouble quick-drawing the camera on my 7 because the click on the home button to wake the device also unlocks it before I can swipe left for the camera, so by the time I've opened the camera the deer has bounded away.

Raise to wake and swipe to left et voila, you’re using your camera.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
There's just too much not known about Face ID to make some of the jumps that I've seen here.

I'm not about to try to draw any conclusions until there is some objective review of the X. Until then the most I'll do is assume that Apple is pretty confident that Face ID will be vastly superior to Touch ID.

There will be some scenarios where TID could be more convenient that FID. If that's a consideration, there's always the 8/8 Plus and below. Right now TID can be deactivated by pressing the Home button five times. FID is deactivated by pressing buttons on both sides of the phone.

I'm mainly curious about two points that should be answered fairly quickly— how fast is FID? TID is so fast that Apple implemented a two-step routine so people didn't clear their notifications from the lock screen. I don't see FID being that fast, but we need some hands-on reviews.

Is it possible to have it close by on a desk or table and unlock it without lifting it? That can be a one step process with TID, but it's two steps with FID. And the viewing angle for unlocking maybe fairly slight. We'll see.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner