The notch is like Fred Savage’s mole in ‘Austin Powers’

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Looking back at the keynote and some of the demos for the X, I can’t help but be distracted by that notch. Like how Austin Powers couldn’t avoid looking at Fred Savage’s mole in the movie.

It’s not so much that it’s there, but that video and apps look to actually be cut off by it. You can see it in the demos from on stage when they were playing the game on it. I would think that if a dev got first dibs in order to have a demo on the X that the SDK would allow a dev to work around the notch. I highly doubt that the dev wouldn’t work around it if it existed and that Apple would be okay with that demo showing. That leads me to believe that there’s not much the dev can do with it.

It’s just distracting. What do y’all think?
cf5a5fe0ef1e2540de187f124ccb824c.jpg

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’m fine with it, embraced as Essential did. Most things can change the aspect ratio to avoid it if it bothers you that much, but even during the keynote I found myself not noticing it.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't unsee it. It's ugly as sin. I don't understand how Apple's sense of aesthetics could have taken a vacation at such an important moment.
It is going to be hideous with screens as basic as the Settings or iMessage.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I can't unsee it. It's ugly as sin. I don't understand how Apple's sense of aesthetics could have taken a vacation at such an important moment.
It is going to be hideous with screens as basic as the Settings or iMessage.
Apple has been falling behind on design for a while now. This is just the next in line in a series of missteps. Look at how elegantly the Mi Mix 2 solves the problem. Apple should learn.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, let’s just cover the camera with our hand, great idea.
How so? Have you ever actually used the Mi Mix? That is not a problem with it at all unless you like to literally cup the bottom of your device with one had by the bottom right corner, which I am yet to see anyone do. Not to mention that for video chat, the only time when you realistically have prolonged use of the FFC, Mi Mix is designed to rotate the image upside down for convenience. Even then you’d not be cupping the device. Sorry, but I strongly disagree.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
How so? Have you ever actually used the Mi Mix? That is not a problem with it at all unless you like to literally cup the bottom of your device with one had by the bottom right corner, which I am yet to see anyone do. Not to mention that for video chat, the only time when you realistically have prolonged use of the FFC, Mi Mix is designed to rotate the image upside down for convenience. Sorry, but I strongly disagree.

I’m right handed, my hand always covers the bottom right portion of any phone I’m using.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple has been falling behind on design for a while now. This is just the next in line in a series of missteps. Look at how elegantly the Mi Mix 2 solves the problem. Apple should learn.

This is the first time I have been disappointed by their designs, which is the reason I say it now.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This is the first time I have been disappointed by their designs, which is the reason I say it now.

I feel the same way. Apple is going to get a huge pass on it. I just hope similar design flaws aren’t in future products because people are willing to live with it.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. Apple is going to get a huge pass on it. I just hope similar design flaws aren’t in future products because people are willing to live with it.

Yah I'm firmly in eeeeewwwwww mode right now. I'm seriously not enthused.

The 8 Plus appeals to me more at the moment. Of course, it might all change when I have to make a decision at 2:59 on Friday morning.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I am curious as to why they didn't just have the screen stop before the notch. Would've looked better as far as I'm concerned.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
It looks fine using apps in portrait mode, and using apps in landscape look alright for the most part, but watching movies or playing games in the latter make it really stand out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711