The notch is like Fred Savage’s mole in ‘Austin Powers’

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It looks fine using apps in portrait mode, and using apps in landscape look alright for the most part, but watching movies or playing games in the latter make it really stand out.

What I notice is that in many apps the top & bottom are cropped so you’re still looking at a display the size of the 8’s.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I agree. When I had the iPhone X, the notch was practically slapping me in the face. I don't get why reviewers said "I don't notice it at all" when they watch video in landscape mode. Either they're blind or it's a lie.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So with the notch, are we seeing more video or less than a 8/8+? Much more or much less?

Notch or no notch, the aspect ratio on the X sucks for video in landscape. And when there are apps that allow you to fill the entire screen (i.e. YouTube) with the video it’s cropped. Regardless of whether that bothers someone or not, it’s a shortcoming.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
So since you have both devices which one do you prefer to use on a daily basis and why?

I know there are pros and cons of each device, just a matter of what outweighs the other

I use both equally. I love both very much, and the A11 on both devices makes it
Design? X
Display size? 8 Plus
Display quality? X
Battery life? 8 Plus

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I notice the notch most when gaming. Though I don't do a whole lot of gaming for it to matter. And I don't really watch many videos on my phone. I've had smartphones for over 10 years and I've never watched an entire movie on my device, lol. So for me, it's not a problem.

BillsiPhoneX

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
The whole notch subject is beaten to death. It's not as bad as the OP says (Fred's mole in Austin Powers). More like Cindy Crawford's mole. It's not as bad or big an issue and it's something we can live with.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
No offense to the OP, but I feel like the notch conversation should be done at this point. If you don't mind or like it, great. If you hate it, that's great too. Get something else and move on. I think the more poignant conversation should be where Apple is going next. Are their design decisions going to hinder or move them forward?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No offense to the OP, but I feel like the notch conversation should be done at this point. If you don't mind or like it, great. If you hate it, that's great too. Get something else and move on. I think the more poignant conversation should be where Apple is going next. Are their design decisions going to hinder or move them forward?

Check out the original date of the post.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
I had a feeling you’d say that since the differences are a bit more dramatic in overall design with the Plus being so dated and the in screen quality since the screen on the X is so much more rich and vibrant while the differences in screen size and battery are so tiny as they are nearly the same.

The whole notch subject is beaten to death. It's not as bad as the OP says (Fred's mole in Austin Powers). More like Cindy Crawford's mole. It's not as bad or big an issue and it's something we can live with.

This is a brilliant response to the illustration the OP used. Cindy Crawford wouldn’t be Cindy Crawford without that mole and the X wouldn’t be the X without the notch. On it’s own it’s not appealing but with the whole package..........most people would agree they are both beautiful.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
On it’s own it’s not appealing but with the whole package..........most people would agree they are both beautiful.

Since someone bumped up my thread where I shared an opinion two months before the X was launched, I might as well just respond to this. "On its own it's not appealing" is an opinion that probably 99% of the buyers of the iPhone X don't share. Anyone who has bought it, including myself, would buy it if it didn't have the notch. I think what you said is a stretch.

By the way, four months later, I'm over it. I own the phone and I still prefer it without a notch. But it's moot at this point.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Since someone bumped up my thread where I shared an opinion two months before the X was launched, I might as well just respond to this. "On its own it's not appealing" is an opinion that probably 99% of the buyers of the iPhone X don't share. Anyone who has bought it, including myself, would buy it if it didn't have the notch. I think what you said is a stretch.

By the way, four months later, I'm over it. I own the phone and I still prefer it without a notch. But it's moot at this point.

I’m fairly certain you misinterpreted my comment because what I was saying was that the notch, “on it's own is not appealing” but that the X as a whole is beautiful much like Cindy Crawford’s mole, “on it’s own is not appealing” but that she, as a complete package, is beautiful.

I probably wasn’t clear but hope that clears up my view of the X with it's notch.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73